Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #1

Powder Post Beetles in 2021 Travel Trailer

Hello everyone, this is my first post in a FR Forum. My family recently upgraded our TT and we bought a 2021 Forest River Alpha Wolf 26DBH in October of 2020. We bought it about 6 hours away from home as there were none to be found any closer. We brought it home and had taken it out several times, we love it. However, we started seeing what can best be described as 'saw dust" type powder on our floors, didnt think much of it and thought since it was brand new, it was just dust from construction moving around, so we'd just clean it up.

A short time later we noticed some small pin sized holes on the paneling in the ceiling, and then saw dust fall out of them. Thought, "what the heck?" right? Wouldn't anyone think that? Fast forward, touch base with our bug control guy who refers me to a termite guy who diagnosed the issue as Powder Post Beetles. I start looking them up and apparently they take months to years to lie and wait and borough in the wood as larvae and become active as adults, hence they eat wood and create the saw dust type material also known as frass/frazz.

I look this up on the web and I find that this issue has been brought up here and that FR had this issue of using untreated wood several years ago? what came of those warranty and insurance claims?

We have recently submitted a warranty claim to the manufacturer to treat (fumigate) the TT so no further damage is caused and to repair any wood as necessary, who knows the extent as they may not all be visible.

Any and all input is much appreciated. Just trying to resolve this with FR in a reasonable manner.

Thank You,
Daniel.
dcruzsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:20 AM   #2

We has the same problem with a Flagstaff microlite. We also thought the powder was sawdust from manufacturing processes. But when it came back we starting looking for the problem . We have an appointment to verify the problem.
I need you and you need me. We must private message.
Sjgraves10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:00 AM   #3

Sorry for your predicament. Did the experts actually get biological evidence of power Post Beetles or was their statement just an opinion predicated visual evidence? What area of the country do you live?

I just read this clear and concise article from the University of Kentucky on the subject.
https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/ef616
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

Google identified Beatles

I found pictures and descriptions of powder post beatles behavior on line. I used a Jewelers loop to magnify and identify the bug. Next we will take the camper up to the dealer to have the problem documented and to ask for help. From what I read, I can't expect help. We saw the powder at the time of delivery. Didn't know what is was. The powder returned a few times and now we know why. I consider it a manufacture defect . We have only had the camper for 9 months.
Old 07-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #5

We are in South Carolina.
Old 07-01-2021, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjgraves10 View Post
I found pictures and descriptions of powder post beatles behavior on line. I used a Jewelers loop to magnify and identify the bug. Next we will take the camper up to the dealer to have the problem documented and to ask for help. From what I read, I can't expect help. We saw the powder at the time of delivery. Didn't know what is was. The powder returned a few times and now we know why. I consider it a manufacture defect . We have only had the camper for 9 months.
As a non-affected party, I fully agree that it is a a manufacturer's defect. Good luck.
PhilFromMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #7

Powder post beetles

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcruzsd View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post in a FR Forum. My family recently upgraded our TT and we bought a 2021 Forest River Alpha Wolf 26DBH in October of 2020. We bought it about 6 hours away from home as there were none to be found any closer. We brought it home and had taken it out several times, we love it. However, we started seeing what can best be described as 'saw dust" type powder on our floors, didnt think much of it and thought since it was brand new, it was just dust from construction moving around, so we'd just clean it up.

A short time later we noticed some small pin sized holes on the paneling in the ceiling, and then saw dust fall out of them. Thought, "what the heck?" right? Wouldn't anyone think that? Fast forward, touch base with our bug control guy who refers me to a termite guy who diagnosed the issue as Powder Post Beetles. I start looking them up and apparently they take months to years to lie and wait and borough in the wood as larvae and become active as adults, hence they eat wood and create the saw dust type material also known as frass/frazz.

I look this up on the web and I find that this issue has been brought up here and that FR had this issue of using untreated wood several years ago? what came of those warranty and insurance claims?

We have recently submitted a warranty claim to the manufacturer to treat (fumigate) the TT so no further damage is caused and to repair any wood as necessary, who knows the extent as they may not all be visible.

Any and all input is much appreciated. Just trying to resolve this with FR in a reasonable manner.

Thank You,
Daniel.
Interested in the rest of your story. Did Forest River repair or, replace your camper or ignore you?
Old 08-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #8

Powder post beetles

Do you have this problem? Have you filed a complaint? Have you found a cure for powder post beetles? I have not found anyone that can treat this problem. The manufacturer is stonewalling me. They say they will help but do nothing.

Tags
2021, trailer, travel, travel trailer