Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #21

Powder Post Beetles

I was reading this thread. We have them also. Purchased in Feb 2018 in a FR Salem. We are located in South Ga. camped in May and everything was fine. Camped last week and they have started coming out in my entertainment area and one spot in my kitchen cabinets. I was told by Tara in warranty to take it back to dealership to replace wood and fumagate. I thanked her and asked well we donít know the extent of this what happens if they reappear. She said weíll just do it again. Really? I didnít buy a brand new camper to deal with this? Plus fumagating... proper treatment is a product called Bora that must soak the wood. Guess what you canít soak the main beams when thereís the decorative laminate wood over top.... I havenít started the treatment process but Iím thinking of getting an attorney.
Rvjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #22

I'm sorry to hear and finding I'm heading in these more and more. I'm still chewed, To say the least . I got my trailer back, again, after almost three months. Funtown rv did call an actual exterminator instead of using the two cans of hotshot spray the used before . Both chemicals used by the company do not cover the beetles. A section of wood ( pantry ) was pulled and replaced ( took three attempts for them to actually staple the pieces back in instead of them just hanging and laying on shelf in there ) I was working with Todd jones of forest river and though I've also found that this beetle thing is not old news to them , sweeping it under the rug and patching crap is standard protocol with Forest River. I was threatened by the service manager at funtown ( Cameron ,who was let go ) and forest river on voiding my warranty after I was getting really pissed with how it was being handled . I don't think I've ever been this discouraged in a product , and I'm quiet certain I've never felt more taken advantage of as I do by Forest River. My hopes is that enough people will actually step up, come forward and possibly change the protocol for treating this issue . As I stated in first posting in thread, No telling how many of these trailers are affected. How many ceiling leaks that are beetle damage that people don't know on. Or floors giving out ? Possibly change their protocol for handling this situation , because I know that waiting till the next bunch of beetles appears , for them to maybe take and spray it ( took two try's and three months ) is just BAD BUSINESS.
Bonapug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:52 AM   #23
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Oh my gosh I have never heard of these beetles. So they are "for sure" in place during manufacturing? Are you saying that wood used for building is infested or some other way do they infest a new camper?? I would think that all brands would have this issue...can't believe this is the first I am hearing of it.

We had a swarm of flying termites in our PUP years ago, they are everywhere here in June, but I never had dust piles like we've sometimes seen in antique furniture so I assume no damage.

So sorry to hear this is happening and I will definitely follow this thread to learn more.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:03 AM   #24
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvjourney View Post
I was reading this thread. We have them also. Purchased in Feb 2018 in a FR Salem. We are located in South Ga. camped in May and everything was fine. Camped last week and they have started coming out in my entertainment area and one spot in my kitchen cabinets. I was told by Tara in warranty to take it back to dealership to replace wood and fumagate. I thanked her and asked well we donít know the extent of this what happens if they reappear. She said weíll just do it again. Really? I didnít buy a brand new camper to deal with this? Plus fumagating... proper treatment is a product called Bora that must soak the wood. Guess what you canít soak the main beams when thereís the decorative laminate wood over top.... I havenít started the treatment process but Iím thinking of getting an attorney.
I had this issue years ago in my 5er. I was told by the exterminating folks that there is no guarantee that you totally get rid of them if they have already laid eggs deep into the wood. We replaced the one door on our cabinet that was infected. We where lucky no other areas where infected. If this product you mention (Bora works) then FR needs to contact the folks providing the wood to treat prior to building the camper. FR should replace the infected areas no matter what they are. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-6 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 PM   #25

Yes. The beetles are in wood from manufacturer. Not something you pick up or it flies in. By the time you see the dust damage and beetles surfacing they have been In there a while. It's the eggs in the wood hatching. STEP UP YOUR STANDARDS FOREST RIVER. and watch out people. Not a happy camper here
Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #26

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
Sorry to hear about your situation. That is very sad. I just ordered a trailer in late June and waiting for it to get built. I did a quick search and the product mentioned in this thread is actually called "No Borer". It is made in New Zealand. I tried doing a search on Amazon but it's not there. Not sure if there is a U.S. distributor. Below is the link:

https://www.kiwicare.co.nz/product/n...pray-injector/

Good luck and hope you get it resolved.
flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #27
Multi-Slacker

I believe a temperature of 150į - 160į maintained for at least 4 hours will kill them. Those numbers I stated need verification

IOW, just park in the sun on a hot weekend. Maybe run a heater inside.
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonapug View Post
Purchased a new forest river wildwood rv . 2018 model from funtown rv in Denton Texas. Picked it up October of 2017. Started seeing the piles of dust here and there. And once I got to looking. Finding all these holes from the beetles . I clean it up. Back in a few hours.. contacted both funtown. And forest river and as of right now. Getting a run around. Shuffled here and there and no one stepping up to handle this problem that came from them. I. Can't see buying. Paying that kind of money for something new. Already damaged. And no telling how extensive . Has anyone else had this problem with forest river rvs?
Yes! Same problem with my new 2018 Forest river Wildwood XL. At first we thought it was sawdust from construction but after months of cleaning it up we noticed the tiny holes and actually found some beetles.
Been in shop for a month with very little progress to resolve problem
dalehamilton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:02 AM   #29
Georgia Rally Coordinator

After juust having my Termite inspection I asked the guy is there now a way to get rid of them. Yep but through testing he says its about a 2 year process to get rid of them with the new product they are using. Don't recall the name tho. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-6 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:53 AM   #30

It is going to be interesting to see how it works. My MILs house had termites a couple of years ago a nation wide company treated the house and supposedly no termites............ A couple of weeks ago they did their annual inspection now they found the powder post beetles. Now another large expense and treatments......... oh boy......... My BIL has to determine if the house is worth all the costs.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #31

I am have the same issue with Powerpost Beetles. My unit is a 2019 Rockwood Roo. We purchased from Giant Rv and have just started the process. They say they are replacing the wood. But, this weekend I am finding them throughout the unit. Ugh!
Gldwing1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #32

Sorry to hear your having these issues. I did happen to find a product called Bora-care that specifically says it works on Powder post beatles, however it looks to be intended for new construction or exposed wood treatment. No idea if they offer anything for post construction or exposed wood surfaces.

Maybe contact the MFG of the product for post construction treatment suggestions.

Looks like its available through Walmart and a site called DoMyOwn. I included this link as it gives the best info & Q/A section I could find on a limited search.

Hope all goes well and that I never have to deal with this issue.

https://www.domyown.com/boracare-p-1...waAhVtEALw_wcB

Click image for larger version

Name:	BoraCare_1024x1024.jpg.thumb_840x840.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	217125
BigGuy87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:56 PM   #33

I'm sorry to hear and I can tell you be prepared for them to put just a giant Band-Aid on this problem and hope that you go away.... and in response to the boracare to treat these pass that should not be for a consumer to be concerned with or to be inconvenienced with especially in purchasing a brand spanking new unit not brand-new not one year or even two years in.. . Because by the time that you see this little pest emerge that is the larvae that has hatched from an egg that has been dormant at least 2 years looks to me like maybe Forest River should step up and beef up their standards and take care of the people they've screwed
Old 02-27-2020, 09:22 PM   #34

Powderpost beetle infestation

We bought our first RV, a Forest River Shasta Oasis 26ft TT last August. Today, after a few months of it sitting idle, we opened it up to get it ready for a trip next week. Across the floor we saw piles of a white powdery substance that wasn't there a few weeks ago when I was in it last. Across the ceiling above the white powder there were several pin-size holes. When tapping the ceiling I could see more of the powder falling from the holes. I had a suspicion these were from an insect (termites?) but not sure---until I Googled pin-holes in RV ceiling and learned about Powderpost beetles. I then went to this forum to learn that I was not alone in my predicament.

I called my dealer (a Florida Camping World location) and described the problem to the guy at the service desk. He was not familiar with what I reported and said if I could send a few photos he would look into it and get back with me. I was cynical, even more so after I read the multiple forum stories of frustration when dealing with Forest River. I figured the guy was either new, or was being less that forthright. I called the dealership back and asked for the Service Manager. Well, he knew about these bugs, and when I said that I was already skeptical about what his response would be he assured me that his store had been able to process warranty claims from other customers.

I'm taking my TT to them tomorrow and will file my claim. I will post an update after they assess my problem. Fingers crossed.
jmcd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:47 AM   #35

Powderpost beetles

Sorry to hear on this..PEOPLE please do your research on these little bugs that Forrest River is trying to sweep under the rug. The dust we see..is the ADULT insect emerging from the wood. The larvae are in the wood ..for up to 2 years before emerging. Once hatched the lil. Worm ears his way out..to. once again. Lay eggs in wood . Now..imagine the ones you SEE and what you don't . What about above your cheesy ceiling panels..in the wood beams..or under the floor..the wood within the walls? See .the problem isnt only the fact they KNOW these bugs are there..they continue to ship new Rvs out with same wood( all Rvs have a lot number/ city etc where made) and they continue to patch and harass customers that have found these bugs. My ordeal was MONTHS long...with the service manager maliciously doing stuff because of my anger in situation and my RV was returned PIECED together..a brand new trailer..Over a year later..I still worry on if they are in the walls..or in the joists within the structure. I hope enough people step up on this and put pressure on the rv maker to not only use better quality products..but to step up and pull these bug buses off the road. Mind blowing to me people accepting buying a NEW RV with BUGS..it being cut patched and sent back out. This would never fly with an automobile or home..and the LEMON LAW needs to be extended into the rv category..maybe a lawyer out there will see these...
Best of luck to you
And BUGS BE GONE FORREST RIVER...YOUR FAVORITE CUSTOMER DEE IS STILL HERE
Old 07-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #36

Same problem here. We purchased new in November of 2018 and about a 4 months later, found a little pile of sawdust and was thinking it must be just from settling. Later that year we found a few more piles in the summer and took pictures into the dealer. They said they've never seen anything like this before. Now we are seeing more piles and little pinholes in the wall of our bathroom. Sounds like FR made our trailers with contaminated wood.
I'm going to try putting my ozone generator and UV light in the bathroom to see if it'll knock them down any while I wait for my D-Fence spray to arrive.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:58 PM   #37

a good source of information about them here
Powder Post Beetles - How To Kill and Get Rid of Powder Post Beetles

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #38

Powder post beetles

I have this to report concerning my above message:

After reporting the problem, which entailed a formal warranty claim, my Camping World dealer initially told me it would likely be denied by Forest River, saying that they consider this an owner-generated matter---like I was responsible for allowing these bugs inside the ceiling panels! I pushed back, firmly. I presented evidence of previous owner problems that were profiled on this very forum, suggesting it was a known FR issue. I included my warranty claim a University of Kentucky entomology paper that described the life cycle of these beetles, which can lay dormant as larvae in warehoused wood stock and later emerge as beetles after the material has been used in the construction process. My persistence (and patience---it took until the end of June thanks to Covid-19 delays) finally paid off. The ceiling panels were removed and the interior was properly fumigated by an outside pesticide company. The trailer was put back together and when presented to me it looked brand new. However, the wife and I decided that while they had it on their lot (and looking good) we should trade it in on something else---a 2020 Forest River Vibe 18RB. We took it out for our first trip and we love it! Fingers crossed that there is nothing lurking within to spoil our good vibe (pun intended)!
jmcd55 is offline   Reply With Quote