Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #21

Is your awning 'automatic'? I'm not certain the safest way to secure it when there are no leg supports touching the ground. I like Daisy's eye bolts, but I'm not sure I am handy enough to rig that. The awning tie down I have from the pop-up has the long stakes one pounds into the ground, then the two + inch web strap attaches to stake #1, crosses up and over the distal lip of the awning, and attaches to stake #2 with the 6 inch spring on this end of the strap. I am hesitent to use this type of tie down with the automatic awning because it would be easy to snug it too tightly and damage the arms. So I just keep reeling the awning in if I think it is too breezy. Problem is, on the St Lawrence River, it can get really windy. I have had a screen house destroyed, and seen tents rolling down river on the water. I have also been fortunate to have my awning collapse when I was not there, but not have any damage, thanks to help from neighboring campers. Also, trying to figure out how to handle things on my own so I don't have to rely on someone else to help put up or take down in a pinch.
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #22

I have used mine on both an automatic awning and manuel awning. Worked great on both.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #23

Herk7769, we have the power awning on our new TT, and still use the tie downs, it makes me feel a little safer. I know there are pro's and con's to both use and non use.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
Herk7769, we have the power awning on our new TT, and still use the tie downs, it makes me feel a little safer. I know there are pro's and con's to both use and non use.
Sometimes it makes me smile that folks think I have a vested interest in what they do. BD, it is your awning, not mine. It is your camper wall that the cool power awning is bolted to with pop rivets and a couple of bolts. If it ever gets ripped off in a wind, I, and others, will be here trying to hand hold you through the trials and travails of getting it repaired.

When I first got off active duty in 1980, the economy could not have been worse (no one likes to talk about it but it may even have been worse than now, inflation adjusted). I got a job selling and installing burglar alarms. I had to feed two small kids and aviation jobs?; forget it.

My boss was a pretty cool dude and gave me a job when no one else would. He used to tell me when we went to give a quote and the home owner could only afford a panel, a PIR, a smoke alarm, a door switch (or 2), and a siren; that what we sell is NOT security.

The most elaborate security system in the world can be circumvented with enough effort. What we sell is a false sense of security.

However we provide a service that allows homeowners to sleep at night, knowing they did SOMETHING to protect themselves and their family.

If you feel better tying it down; go for it.
Who am I to say you are wrong?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #25

This is an issue where there is no "correct" answer.
Those who tie down their awnings will justify it as safe.
Those who do not tie them down will find reasons not to.
As Lou said, it is merely a personal decision, and each and every one is responsible for their own decisions and the consequences.
I just wish we could have ordered a manual awning for our new Flagstaff, as the "convenience" of a power awning is just as debatable.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #26

We use our Power awning in the rain,wind,windy,with a 19ft.sunscreen,end sunscreen,and hail. It is in the (Carport) position,adjustable legs like a manual one.Tension ropes to dog stakes,under heavy tension.Angle tilted for runoff just like a manual one. The thumb screws in the (Flimsy) slotted alum tilt arm will not hold up the awning and sunscreen to clear the entrance door. This woorks for us,your case may be different. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarph View Post
So it appears there are two different opinions expressed here. Using tie downs on an automatic awning can cause the arms to bend with a big wind. Not using tie downs on an automatic awning can cause the entire awning to flip, again bending or breaking the arms. When my pop-up's awning, with legs on the ground was set up, I always secured it with tie-downs. My new travel trailer power awning creates some concerns--last year, I made sure to roll up the awning whenever I left the campsite. Also, there were one or two nights when the wind picked up just enough to concern me, so I would step outside, loosen the arms, and roll it up. But, having to roll the awning in all the time limits the 'dry' outside storage, expecially for chairs/tables/bikes. With the pop-up, I was able to store lots of things under the beds. What do most of you do to keep your outdoor things dry if you can't leave your awning out when it gets a bit breezey?
Put chairs, bikes, etc. under the camper. Sucks though that we have to put our portable ice machine under cover when we put the awning in! We had an instance last year when a sudden storm came up with a very strong wind, and I believe it would have taken our awning off if we hadn't managed to roll it up in a hurry. We tore a set of lights in the process, but I'll take that anyday over a ruined awning! We bought tie downs this year. I get a bit unnerved when the awning starts bouncing around.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

When we discuss the tie down or not issue, we need to be careful not to mix awning types. IMHO, the "rules" for power awnings are (or should be) slightly different than the manual type. Where I would have no problem "staking out" a manual awning; I think the suspension system of the power awning would transfer that force to the camper wall mounts.

Just my opinion. I have not been able to find any "facts" to back that up (yet). Just my observation of the spring shock and support arm in a wind.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Put chairs, bikes, etc. under the camper. Sucks though that we have to put our portable ice machine under cover when we put the awning in! We had an instance last year when a sudden storm came up with a very strong wind, and I believe it would have taken our awning off if we hadn't managed to roll it up in a hurry. We tore a set of lights in the process, but I'll take that anyday over a ruined awning! We bought tie downs this year. I get a bit unnerved when the awning starts bouncing around.
I don't think bikes fit under my trailer, without laying them down in the dirt. And I don't really care for putting the chairs/recliners in the dirt under the camper, either. I usually put them back in my suv for the night, which isn't very handy, either--especially since I usually have about 8 to cover visitors!

With the manual awning, even though it took 2 of us to set it up, in the 15 years we used it, it only once had to be reeled in because of the wind. With the automatic awning, which I can handle alone, I am reeling it in and out whenever I leave the campsite, and at night, just to be safe--so there is really no rain protection for the outdoor equipment. Oh well, for the convenience of being able to solo camp, must have to give up something, right!
Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:12 PM   #30

When the DW says "tie down the awning" I ...... tie down the awning! I like being allowed to sleep in my side of the bed, ....... if ya know what I mean.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #31

When I had my manual awning I had it out all the time with lights and tacky twirling things but now with a power awning I only used it a few times last year. The lights and tacky twirling things sit in the garage ;-((

https://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

Someone needs to come up with a telescoping pole with a saddle to use with the power awnings so they can be staked down like the manuals with removable legs. May just try to find some alum. tubes to do that.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #33

I always tied my manual awning, but would not even think about trying to tie down my power awning. If the wind gets up, I simply run it in until it is only out about 3 feet. Stops the flapping and still keeps the sun off the windows or the rain off the door.

As to all the stuff that use to hang from the tied down manual awning... we went to rope lights around the mat and put the whirly gigs on stands.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Someone needs to come up with a telescoping pole with a saddle to use with the power awnings so they can be staked down like the manuals with removable legs. May just try to find some alum. tubes to do that.
I have posted for 2 years on how to support the elect awnings. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #35

Found this on another forum(hope it is ok to post here!) about making posts and tiedowns for electric awning.
power awing tie down - Power Awning Tie Down System
wingriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM   #36
Mod free 5er

I just bought some alum tubing and am trying to figure out if I can somehow add them to the ends of the awning and make them self-storing right on the ends of the awning so I don't have something else to find a place to store and pick up. All ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Total wt of 2 -8' pcs of 1-1/4' x 8' rd tubing and 2 pcs of 1" x 6' rd tubing was 5 lbs and cost $8.36 at our local scrap yard.

Meanwhile, off to mow the 1.4 acres of grass/weeds.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingriders View Post
Found this on another forum(hope it is ok to post here!) about making posts and tiedowns for electric awning.
power awing tie down - Power Awning Tie Down System
Mmmm; Not normally approved, but I have to say that that mod is just too cool.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #38

Unfortunately, there is no place to attach the anti-flap clamps like on the manual awnings, so I think I would prefer to simply roll up the awning in high winds. If you have your power awning tied down, and the wind gets up to the point where the flapping threatens to rip the awning, then what? You couldn't release the tie downs to roll up the awning, as it would be flipped over the roof in an instant.
I sure wish I had my old manual awning.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #39

X2 on wingriders support. Coming from a manual awing to and elect awning, I LIKE the idea of support legs keeping the awning from bouncing with a breeze. I like the idea of tieing down the awning because of the pain of pulling it in for every breeze, but don't like the sound of the awning bouncing and the thought of the pressure being applied to the side of the camper. This tie down support will ake the stress off the side of the camper when the wind blows - to a certain wind speed.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #40
Mod free 5er

crocus, then it becomes a 2 person event, one holds onto the strap while the other unhooks the tie downs and works the remote control. No pain, no strain and awning stowed in about a minute or two.
Been there, done that.

Tags
awning