Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 06:06 PM   #21

the light may have been on because the detector has a backup capacitor or battery that finally got drained. Even if you disconnect the negative cable the battery should have a maintainer connected as the battery life will be longer.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:02 PM   #22

In answer to the OP's original question..get one of these $7 disconnect switches from Walmart or Amazon and everything will shut off via the green know. It is the equivalent of removing your negative wire...and YES you put this on the NEGATIVE post for the simple reason that it is SIZED for the negative post and the positive post is larger and you could damage the battery trying to pound it on the positive! LOL

2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
In most cases the positive side of the battery can have more than one connection ( dist panel, jack, etc) but it is very unusual to see more than one ground connection to the battery. This is one reason why most people say remove the negative side.

This is why Battery Monitors like the Victron have the shunt installed in the negative lead from the battery. That way you are monitoring ALL current in/out of the battery using a single wire.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
In answer to the OP's original question..get one of these $7 disconnect switches from Walmart or Amazon and everything will shut off via the green know. It is the equivalent of removing your negative wire...and YES you put this on the NEGATIVE post for the simple reason that it is SIZED for the negative post and the positive post is larger and you could damage the battery trying to pound it on the positive! LOL

I just got one today! I actually work at Napa and figured that would be as good as anything! Hooked it up and checked for all the little lights in the camper and they were off! When I tightened the knob back down, they were on! Good to go. I want to buy a maintainer also just so I can keep the battery fresh!
Ashbyjames581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashbyjames581 View Post
I just got one today! I actually work at Napa and figured that would be as good as anything! Hooked it up and checked for all the little lights in the camper and they were off! When I tightened the knob back down, they were on! Good to go. I want to buy a maintainer also just so I can keep the battery fresh!
I used one of those green knob disconnect switches on my HTT for 10 years.
Cost me about $5 at Walmart.
Never had any issues and it always worked.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:04 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post

Switches like these along with many variations were popular back in the day when vehicles had generators and the "cutout relay" in the regulator would go bad. All the "cutout" did was disconnect the generator from the battery when the engine was shut down and a switch like this was often a lot cheaper than a new regulator.

That was back in the day when almost everyone checked their oil and water before starting up too. Who knows how much oil you'd burned or coolant had leaked out since the last trip. You were under the hood anyway so switches like this weren't all that big a deal.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #27

I have one on my Falcon for when it sits. Never a dead battery!
Old 02-23-2018, 12:04 AM   #28

Guess what? A dirty battery can conduct power even with the negative post totally disconnected. While not enough power to turn a light on, it could technically cause some conductance and over time drain a battery. This is real. I had this happen with an old dirty but good battery.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Guess what? A dirty battery can conduct power even with the negative post totally disconnected. While not enough power to turn a light on, it could technically cause some conductance and over time drain a battery. This is real. I had this happen with an old dirty but good battery.

This was a major problem on old batteries that had the exposed lead cell connectors (and some 6V GC batteries still do). Any electrolyte that bubbled out of the cells when charging at a high rate literally shorted the cells across the battery top.

New batteries that both control the venting better and have totally enclosed tops are less of a problem. It's still a good idea to clean the battery tops with a light solution of dish detergent, water, and a little Baking Soda. Just don't get any of the solution in any of the cells.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
How will this power anything with the negative terminal disconnected?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:13 AM   #31
Site Team

I'm guessing your old dirty battery wasn't that good to begin with.... if it's really nasty on top it probably has been boiling or excessively out gassing. Not a good sign.

I've added a disconnect switch to the pos side of my batteries on all my trailers. I keep a battery tender Jr connected when at home. I typically get 5-6 years out of my batteries before they show reduced capacity. I'm good with that.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
How will this power anything with the negative terminal disconnected?
Won't power anything with the switch disconnected but disconnecting switch won't stop discharge across the top of a dirty battery. Only solution is to clean it. Won't matter what kind of switch you use or which pole of the battery you disconnect, the battery will slowly discharge through the conductive buildup on top surface between + and - terminals.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:03 AM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Won't power anything with the switch disconnected but disconnecting switch won't stop discharge across the top of a dirty battery. Only solution is to clean it. Won't matter what kind of switch you use or which pole of the battery you disconnect, the battery will slowly discharge through the conductive buildup on top surface between + and - terminals.
I misunderstood your post then. I thought to said the battery would power something with the negative terminal not connected at all.

Self discharge is another thing. A lead-acid battery will self discharge over time due to internal factors. It will also self discharge due to external factors like a current path between the poles of the disconnected battery (no wires attached at all).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power