Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2022, 08:44 PM   #1

Power source for observation camera.

I know there are lots of threads about cameras, but I havenít run across one that answers my question.

I am a female traveling alone at times and want to use an security camera.

I have Haloview as my backup camera. My question is about powering the security camera near the door.

I can tap into the porch light, but does that mean I have to have the porch light on to get power? I plan to be at campsites without hookups so I donít want the porch light to be on all night and Iím guessing others donít want it on either.
Mizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #2

Depending on your porch light, you can replace it with one that has a switch on the bottom and wire your camera also to the wires. You would use the switch on the new light to turn it off and on while the switch inside would control both light and camera.
Capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 10:01 PM   #3

What type of rv do you have?
Have you considered a battery powered camera with a solar charger? A quick search found this one. https://www.amazon.com/REOLINK-Argus...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
If you're camping without hookups, you'll need to conserve the rig's battery.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #4

Smile Details

I am brand spanking new here. I have a 2022 GeoPro 19FBS. I added my TT and TV to the sig line, thinking it automatically showed up in a post..

Iím trying to get a handle on battery consumption and will search the forum to get educated. My takeaway so far is to make sure I donít use the inverter at night unless absolutely necessary. Seems like the fridge is the biggest draw. I havenít figured out how much the WiFi ranger, TV and lights take. I can certainly use battery powered lights and my iPad instead of the TV when I need to. It certainly is a learning process.. Iím disappointed in the lack of information that FR provides. Iím willing to use self-serve materials, but shouldnít have to go on a vast YouTube and forum search for what I would think would be common questions. Ok, rant over.

As far as battery consumption goes, I can plug the monitor into the 12v plug and put it into standby mode. The camera itself is 340mA@12V in nighttime mode. I was looking at solar powered cameras like Ring but I hadnít run across the camera you posted, which appears to have some issues in outdoor weather. I realize you did a fast search and not recommending that particular setup.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #5

Hi and welcome.
Depending on how handy you are with 12 volt systems, you could add a switch at the switch panel to power just your camera, which would leave the porch light on it's own switch.
18LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizmo View Post
Iím trying to get a handle on battery consumption and will search the forum to get educated. My takeaway so far is to make sure I donít use the inverter at night unless absolutely necessary. Seems like the fridge is the biggest draw. I havenít figured out how much the WiFi ranger, TV and lights take. I can certainly use battery powered lights and my iPad instead of the TV when I need to. It certainly is a learning process.. Iím disappointed in the lack of information that FR provides. Iím willing to use self-serve materials, but shouldnít have to go on a vast YouTube and forum search for what I would think would be common questions. Ok, rant over.
Your rant is a familiar one. Unfortunately there's no 'one size fits all' answer to your questions. The fridge and the tv, microwave are the biggest draw, You've got a solar panel and that will recharge the batteries on the road if you've got sunlight. You've also got room for an additional battery and that's probably a good idea. Looks like that means you can have 3 batteries and that's a lot for a trailer. Just monitor those batteries because if they go too low, their useful life will decrease dramatically.

As to the light, you've gotten some good suggestions.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:47 PM   #7

Re Camera question

We use a Verizon jet pack for our Internet and to run our cameras. We use Blink cameras which are battery operated. We have one mounted outside that we use for security and also have two of them inside that we use to check on our cat when we are gone and to Watch to make sure that we still have power and that the air conditioner is on while weíre gone.
Printer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, power