Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 10:57 PM   #41

I try to get out a few times a month and do the normal dump at the end of each trip. When I am done dumping I add 3-5 gallons with some treatment ( prefer a Happy camper as mentioned above). Come late July I will spend extra time cleaning just because it will sit at least 3-5 months in 110 weather for two of those months. You right if you donít have a problem doing it your way or think your overdoing it. Your not drinking from it you will be ok
moose074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #42

In case nobody has mentioned it, there is also the issue of hitting bridge approaches with full tanks (fresh or waste). I've seen photos of my exact RV sitting alongside the road with a tank hanging down and sitting mostly on the gravel shoulder. This experience is unfortunately not rare in this industry. If you can see the tank support brackets underneath, keep an eye on them.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:08 PM   #43

Use some chemicals, use any brand of TP, and most importantly, use about twice the amount of flush water you think you need, and wait until it's near full before you dump.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Use some chemicals, use any brand of TP, and most importantly, use about twice the amount of flush water you think you need, and wait until it's near full before you dump.
X2! I let a "poop pile" happen once. Dumped two gallons of 140F water down as quickly as possible from gallon milk jugs with the tops cut out. Haven't let that happen again.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:13 PM   #45
Dazed & Confused

As a member of my county fair honey dipping team I can tell you most black tank problems we see are a direct result of not adding enough water. We have literally sucked on black tanks that looked like soft serve ice cream.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&K Hoffman View Post
As a member of my county fair honey dipping team I can tell you most black tank problems we see are a direct result of not adding enough water. We have literally sucked on black tanks that looked like soft serve ice cream.

Thatís a mental image I canít unsee. 🤣
Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM   #47
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Thatís a mental image I canít unsee. 🤣
And I saw it in person.
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:51 PM   #48

My rig has a black tank flush. It gets used prodigiously every time the tank is dumped.
efrulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:07 PM   #49

I have had a camper since 2013. I learned from other campers and from my medical background white vinegar is very good for odor control. Every time I dump the black water tank I first add a few gallons of water. You do not want to use a black water tank with no water for obvious reasons. Then I add about one half gallon of white vinegar. I do this for the acid level usually about 5%. Smell comes from bacteria and they do not like the acidic level of white vinegar. (BTW if you are in the boondocks with no medical aid a few drops of white vinegar will help an earache until you can get to the doctor.) I have used this method for 7 years now and have not had a problem with smell from the black tank.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #50

Black Tank treatment and Horst Probes

Been using with success for a couple years now, about 1/2 cup Calgon liquid with a half cup Dawn mixed with about a quart of water flushed down the toilet; each time after I dump, then flush about a gallon of water after. Buy on Amazon in bulk quart bottles. Only empty the Black Tank when full if you can, but I do it after every trip. The blackwater flush is useless to "wash" or push anything out... as it seems in the factory infinite wisdom when they mounted it in front of the discharge. So we just run the blackwater rinse for ~4 minutes with the valve shut to fill up the bottom of the tank, and open it to try and get a woosh for a couple or 3 times, only if theres no one waiting. Always got to clear water.

Changed sensors , RV Horst Miracle Probes | RV Fresh Water Tank Probes; easy to do.... seem to work better, but like others say, common sense and a little learn from experience works. When the probes say full, we have about a day left, never filled the black tank up to full, hope to never pull that SNAFU.

fyi: Calgon Water Softener, 32 fl oz Bottle, Laundry Detergent Booster (Pack of 4); and Dawn Ultra Dishwashing Liquid Dish Soap (4x19oz); cost about $47 and lasts about over 12 trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	230389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	230390  
Treybecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #51

Flush King

So we read horror stories about odors. We started out with the Calgon/Dawn stuff and Happy Camper. Everything seemed fine, no odors, but just to be on the safe side, bought a Flush King. What a surprise! Even a lightly used TT had leftover issues we didnít know that the black tank flush couldnít fix.

If we donít have time for a good clean out at a campground, we stop at a gas station and pay to do a thorough tank flush with the Flush King before parking the camper. It does a great job for our Mini Lite 2304KS.
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I kinda laugh at people who think it has to be spotless. The bag of ice people crack me up the most....well maybe the people that never poop in their toilet.
I always get a good laugh at the posts about ďshould I poop in my camper.?Ē
We have been camping for 25 years and never had a problem with our black tank. We stay in our camper 3 days a week from April through October. And we poop a lot.
1. Use much water. Add several gallons of water to an empty black tank and hold the flush each time for an extra 20 seconds.
2. Use a good holding tank treatment that will liquify solids. We use RV Digest It.
3. Every once in awhile fill the black tank with water after flushing and dump again. Also fill 2 times at the end of each season before winterizing. And fill once and dump at the beginning of the season.
4. Poop in your toilet whenever you need to. And allow guests to poop in your toilet.
5. Enjoy your camper!

Unique RV Digest-IT Holding Tank Treatment (16 Treatments, 32 oz.) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07564FPHL..._sPB1Eb35A87ZC

Good luck!

Clark W. Griswold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:45 PM   #53

My sensors work if theyíre clean which is why I use the stick cleaning wand with regular water to flush out my black tank after draining it.
Rpotterak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:04 PM   #54
Long time camper.

Thumbs up Black tank ??issues??

No issues here with black tanks being black!

My DW looks at the idiot lights for our tanks every time one of us takes a shower. I wish I could convince her a 55 gal FW tank canít fill a 35 gal black and a 35 gal gray, and if it fills the gray it canít come close to 1/3 filling the black, but, Iíve decided I canít. They are almost full, they are almost full!

Try tank blaster, or the first time in my many black tanks past and present read 1/3 full after dumping. I dumped it in a 1/2 full black, not per instructions, with great results. Great stuff, I swear you got to try it.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-9652.../dp/B07D3XYRG5

samTummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:23 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
I see all kinds of posts on here about folks flushing and cleaning their blank tanks. It seems that a lot of time and effort goes into cleaning the tank that is meant to hold poop. I will admit, I have been sucked in to this in the past, myslef. I have dumped a bag of ice in there on occasion, and even done the calgon thing before. My only reason was that my sensors never seem to work. But then I realized that these sensors seem to be garbage and are questionable, at best, in all of my tanks.

Then I stepped back and wondered. WHY am I worried about the cleanliness of my sewage tank? There is not an odor issue. I tried to keep my kids from using the camper toilet for #2, but telling them not to poop in the camper only seems to make them suddenly have to poop. In the trailer. So it happens in there and there is never an odor issue. We dump when we leave the campground and everyting seems fine.

I have a septic tank at my house. I get it pumped every few years. I never worry about flushing it out. So what am I missing about the balck tank in campers?
You never have an odor! What treatment are you using in your tank?
Iím stationary in FL and the black tank always smells really bad. Iíve tried different enzymes trying to stay away from formaldehyde but nothing seems as effective.
DwightB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:18 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I use a calendar in place of the level sensors. Fresh tank, five days; gray tank, four days; black tank, eight days. Has worked flawlessly for a long time.

I donít understand how you get that much time between dumps! We have a 30-gallon capacity for the grey and black tanks. We use fresh water hookups. There are 2 adults in our TT, and we have full tanks in a little over half the time you mention, at best. We usually subscribe to the wisdom to ďuse lots of waterĒ in the black, and we shower in the TT. When we donít have sewer hookups, we use less water to flush. One of us turns off the water to lather, but the other does not (and youíd be surprised which is which). But we still canít get close to these times! How do you get this time-line?
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
I donít understand how you get that much time between dumps! We have a 30-gallon capacity for the grey and black tanks. We use fresh water hookups. There are 2 adults in our TT, and we have full tanks in a little over half the time you mention, at best. We usually subscribe to the wisdom to ďuse lots of waterĒ in the black, and we shower in the TT. When we donít have sewer hookups, we use less water to flush. One of us turns off the water to lather, but the other does not (and youíd be surprised which is which). But we still canít get close to these times! How do you get this time-line?
Two of us on a 35-gal black tank and we fill it in 7 days. Ten-second flushes for #2 to ensure plenty of water in there.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:35 PM   #58

Quote:
My tanks are 40 gallons each. Use cutoff during showers.
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #59
Long time camper.

Quote:
Pre wipe dishes and pans with a paper towel. Use a dish pan to catch rinse water. Use that to flush with. Donít skimp on flushes, thatís what makes the black tank work well.
Get an Oxygenic's shower head. It uses less than 1/2 the water the cheap plastic shower heads that come with campers, but feels stronger. Turn off Shower after wet, soap, rinse face, hair, rinse. Iím 6í8Ē and weigh 285. I use about 3 gallons of water in the shower. My DW has long hair, even she uses only about 4.5 gallons.
Donít trust the gauges? Get some tank blaster by camco follow directions. Gauges have been working all summer since tank blaster.

Have fun, Samtummo
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:31 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by samTummo View Post
Pre wipe dishes and pans with a paper towel. Use a dish pan to catch rinse water. Use that to flush with. Donít skimp on flushes, thatís what makes the black tank work well.

Get an Oxygenic's shower head. It uses less than 1/2 the water the cheap plastic shower heads that come with campers, but feels stronger. Turn off Shower after wet, soap, rinse face, hair, rinse. Iím 6í8Ē and weigh 285. I use about 3 gallons of water in the shower. My DW has long hair, even she uses only about 4.5 gallons.

Donít trust the gauges? Get some tank blaster by camco follow directions. Gauges have been working all summer since tank blaster.

Have fun, Samtummo

Thank you for all that, Samtummo!
We already do similarly:
1. We scrape all food matter from all dishes into trash, then follow with paper towels. I can do all dishes & cookware in one basin-full of water or less, including rinsing.
2. We have Oxygenics and take military showers, and not every day without FHU; we use hospital-style bathing cloths in between. I have short hair.
3. Our gauges almost always read correctly; weíve used Happy Campers after every blank tank dump since Day 1. I keep minimum 2-3 gallons of (originally) clean water in the black tank at all times so nothing dries out or dries on. When weíre not camping, itís either sloshing or soaking.

I really am not as concerned about filling the grey tank; I donít mind using the Barker tote when needed (for grey). But Iím really wondering about how folks go a week or 3 without reaching capacity in the black tank! The longest weíve gone was 4+ days, and we were limiting the flush water during those trips, to our later consternation. Granted, we dumped before it was absolutely full, per looking down the toilet, but the gauges read Full for awhile before dumping.
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank