Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2020, 07:57 PM   #61
Long time camper.

Very difficult to gauge black tank by looking. It’s is usually shallow and long. Or shallow at the “fill end” and deeper at the empty end. Imagine how much material the 2 of you could produce in a 5 gallon bucket then multiple that 7x. Even with a pint of water with it. There are 40 pints in a 5 gallon bucket. I don’t think it’s as full as you think.
samTummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #62

Indeed. We routinely get two weeks on our 38 gallon black tank. And I believe that's with the 3" downpipe extending too far into the tank. When it's full enough to cover the end of the 3" downpipe, air comes bubbling up through what's being flushed. This has only happened once, due to a "poop pile" not being full.

I can get all four lights working with a lot of effort, but the next trip, when it gets to 3/4 it never goes lower ...... until the next major effort to clean the sensors. So, we live with just the full light being functional; though I don't think it has ever come on.

We too use dish wash/rinse water for much of our flushing.

PS: Two gallons of really hot water poured down quickly dispersed that one poop pile.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Indeed. We routinely get two weeks on our 38 gallon black tank.

And THAT is what I don’t understand! Maybe we’re using TOO much water. I just know I don’t like the results when we use much less. We have a 30-gallon tank. We get Full lights in 4 1/2 days or so. Maybe our sensors sit really low on the tank, and as previously suggested, we’re not really as full as we think we are.
I dunno.
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #64

Do not use too little water. Thirty gals is a small tank and you will naturally have to dump frequently.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #65
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by flosmith View Post
Thank you for all that, Samtummo!
We already do similarly:
1. We scrape all food matter from all dishes into trash, then follow with paper towels. I can do all dishes & cookware in one basin-full of water or less, including rinsing.
2. We have Oxygenics and take military showers, and not every day without FHU; we use hospital-style bathing cloths in between. I have short hair.
3. Our gauges almost always read correctly; we’ve used Happy Campers after every blank tank dump since Day 1. I keep minimum 2-3 gallons of (originally) clean water in the black tank at all times so nothing dries out or dries on. When we’re not camping, it’s either sloshing or soaking.

I really am not as concerned about filling the grey tank; I don’t mind using the Barker tote when needed (for grey). But I’m really wondering about how folks go a week or 3 without reaching capacity in the black tank! The longest we’ve gone was 4+ days, and we were limiting the flush water during those trips, to our later consternation. Granted, we dumped before it was absolutely full, per looking down the toilet, but the gauges read Full for awhile before dumping.
As mentioned by many, a week isn't hard to make... 3 weeks not happening!

We are like most other posters and easily get a week on our 40 gal. black tank. I never use the gauge. No matter how accurate they are today, tomorrow they will be incorrect. When it starts burping, it's time to dump.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:29 PM   #66

Quote:
And THAT is what I don’t understand! Maybe we’re using TOO much water. I just know I don’t like the results when we use much less. We have a 30-gallon tank. We get Full lights in 4 1/2 days or so. Maybe our sensors sit really low on the tank, and as previously suggested, we’re not really as full as we think we are.
I dunno.
It's not uncommon to have a leaky water valve on a Dometic toilet, and probably other brands. This can fill up the black tank prematurely. There are threads here and on iRV2.com about this problem. I've not experienced it. My ball valve seal does leak about once per year due to lack of maintenance but that only drains residual water in the bowl into the tank. Still, it could contribute if you need to add water before sitting down.

We kind of keep track of the water we put in from the sink and try to keep it to less than 2 gallons per day from the sink. Using 2/3 or 3/4 full gallon milk jugs with the top cut out helps keep track. We usually turn off the pump before dumping kitchen sink waste water into the toilet. This saves fresh water and reduces the water going into the tank.

We don't usually put any water in the black tank at the beginning of a stay. There's usually some liquid in there from the last incomplete dump because the RV always seems to slope away from the dump pit. Not starting with a couple of gallons of water would seem to encourage a "poop pile" but we've only ever experienced one of those (in 30 months of camping over six years) and two gallons of hot water cleared it. We have not had a poop pile or odor since switching from the usual pellets to this stuff (link below). I use it generously since it's not expensive. Of course, we turn off exhaust fans before using the toilet but even if we don't, there's never an odor if I've remembered to put this stuff in. I rarely see much in the way of solids when dumping and I attribute that to this stuff.

I'm sure that we've been close to full a few times after 14 day stays but so far no problem.

https://smile.amazon.com/Happy-Campe...s%2C209&sr=8-5
Old 07-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #67

We’ve used Happy Campers since Day 1.
But I do see an Aha! here. The water does seem to run/trickle quite awhile after flushing. Maybe this little extra fresh water is filling us up prematurely. We have a Dometic 310.
Thanks for the suggestion.
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #68

Quote:
The water does seem to run/trickle quite awhile after flushing. Maybe this little extra fresh water is filling us up prematurely. We have a Dometic 310.
That is normal. It' a very tiny amount after flushing and does not mean its causing the tank to fill. If you had enough water to cause the tank to fill over time, it would be overflowing the bowl of your toilet.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #69

Quote:
We’ve used Happy Campers since Day 1.
But I do see an Aha! here. The water does seem to run/trickle quite awhile after flushing. Maybe this little extra fresh water is filling us up prematurely. We have a Dometic 310.
Our 310 water does trickle in for a few seconds after a flush for the purpose putting a water seal over the ball valve. But, that last water that runs down the side of the bowl puts only about 1/2-3/4" of water in the bottom. It's there I think to keep the seal from drying out. Any more than about 3/4" or so would be wasteful and tend to fill the black tank. If you are getting much more than that it might be time for a new flush valve. I don't think there is an adjustment for the water that is let through during closing.

If we are conserving fresh water and/or black tank capacity, we add more water when necessary (prior to a #2 event) to the bowl, not with the short press on the foot lever, but from the nearby gallon milk jug containing dish rinse water.

I don't think three's a worry about overflow. The ball valve is thin plastic and tends to flex downward before there's all that much water in the 310 bowl. At least ours always has. More than three or four inches of water and it starts trickling past the ball valve. I don't know if this is by design, but there is no bowl overflow port, so it might be.

BTW, if the ball valve gasket gets dry and crusty during storage, it needs to be thoroughly cleaned and coated with silicone grease inside and out to refresh it. To avoid that I try to remember to put an inch or two of water in the bowl every few weeks while it's stored. I've also wiped a bit of silicone grease on it without removing it when it does get dry and start leaking during storage though not always successfully. And, it can leak past the ball or between the seal and bowl, so it seems to need to come out about once per year in any event. New OEM ones are expensive. I've only needed one new one in six years.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #70

Flushing

New guy question: when I am flushing the black tank through the dedicated port on my RPOD, do I use the water at full pressure from the spigot or should I attach the pressure regulator to the spigot?
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #71
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig and Carol View Post
New guy question: when I am flushing the black tank through the dedicated port on my RPOD, do I use the water at full pressure from the spigot or should I attach the pressure regulator to the spigot?
Just like any other plumbing in your R/V, the black tank flush is subject to damage from too high pressure even though it is considered "open ended".

If the spigot pressure is too high for the city water connection, it is too much for the black tank flush, especially the cheap plastic anti-siphon/check valve.

Days Camped: '17=38 '18=49 '19=58 '20=110 '21=116 '22=19
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank