Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My black tank flush goes in right above the black tank drain, so it doesn't do much in the way of a "flush."

So I've never bothered to use it.
Most are normally on the opposite side.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #22
jkoenig24

Some people are anal about their black tank

As a courtesy, do NOT hold up the line of people waiting to dump their tanks. When your tanks are ~ 75% or more full, dump them and pull away from the dump station. For those folks who feel the need to blast their black tank super clean, they should pay for a full hook up site where they can leisurely attend to their plumbing / sanitation needs and desires. I simply use an enzyme product in BOTH black & grey tanks. In the 6+ years I've owned my coach, I've never had a problem.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgemark View Post
But why go to the dump station when you can do all that right on your site? See so many people lined up at station when it’s time to go. I’ve asked people who are in line and they all pretty much say same thing.... “ that’s what everyone does when it’s time to leave”. I don’t get it, but I guess if they don’t mind waiting for a while in line, it’s none of my business. Lol
You've evidently not stayed in campgrounds with less that full hookups.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
x2. Many (dare I say "most"?) state parks don't have sewer hookups.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 02:30 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
But why go to the dump station when you can do all that right on your site? See so many people lined up at station when it’s time to go. I’ve asked people who are in line and they all pretty much say same thing.... “ that’s what everyone does when it’s time to leave”. I don’t get it, but I guess if they don’t mind waiting for a while in line, it’s none of my business. Lol
You must stay in private RV parks, not public campgrounds. Out on the West Coast, only a fraction of public campground campsites have sewer hookups.
For example, at California State Parks campgrounds, less than 1% of them have any hookups at all, let alone sewer hookups. Most of those are W/E only.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #26

Ice cubes

For a good laugh and to learn about the ice cube treatment, search in You Tube for “do ice cubes in RV black tank really work?”.
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
For a good laugh and to learn about the ice cube treatment, search in You Tube for “do ice cubes in RV black tank really work?”.

Yes I read a thread on this forum and someone shared a link to a guy that “test” all the products and methods. His toilet paper test had charming extra soft and easiest to break down and drove his ranger around with ice in a clear tank.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:52 PM   #28

Black water tank

So heres my question that works well for tow behind trailers . What about us parked on a permanent site people. Do we do the same lots of water . And use the anti odor stuff?
Madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:32 PM   #29

Black Tank

Our main campground owner has a "honey dipper" and cleans our tanks 3 times a week and his machine uses suction. I add a few gallons of water after each clean out and one half gallon White vinegar to the tank. When going home I drain the tank and use the flush out hose. I shove the hose into the tank until the water runs clear. I then will add at least 5 gallon of water to the tank so it can slosh around in the tank on the way home. Good test for smell is turn off your water, shut the door, open the ceiling vent and open the flush valve on the tank.This will pull air straight out of the toilet out of the ceiling vent. I have never had a problem with smell. Just the way that works for me.
Joe V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
You can if you have a portable holding tank.
I understand the use of a portable holding tank for someone who is going to have a trailer parked for awhile at a site without a sewer hookup.

In the context of going to the dump station before leaving the park all that accomplishes is moving waste from a black tank that needs to be emptied at the dump station to a portable tank that needs to be emptied. What difference does it make?
Old 05-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmike View Post
So heres my question that works well for tow behind trailers . What about us parked on a permanent site people. Do we do the same lots of water . And use the anti odor stuff?
Yes, do the same as a mobile unit. Lots of water, drain only when full, use "anti-odor stuff" if you want.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:28 PM   #32

I like to flush mine whenever I can. Tank flush is easy to use, works well, and only takes 4 or five extra minutes. I never know when my trailer is going to be in storage for a month or two, and don’t want the solids setting up.
okiecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post

No I’ve stayed in quite a few without sewer, I will walk around the nite before we leave and look for an empty site with sewer. I will back in and do my cleaning there
dodgemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:46 PM   #34

Quote:
No I’ve stayed in quite a few without sewer, I will walk around the nite before we leave and look for an empty site with sewer. I will back in and do my cleaning there
Popcorn time.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:44 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I kinda laugh at people who think it has to be spotless. The bag of ice people crack me up the most....well maybe the people that never poop in their toilet.

The one that got me, one of the bloggers had a company pressure wash their black tank. They dumped and flushed their tank until the water ran clear then did the pressure wash. "Look how brown the water is".

I guess if you have money to burn...
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:56 PM   #36

I've given up trying to get the level sensors to work properly. Since we are stationary, don't get the swooshing around while driving. We have used the sprayer wand and the tank flush. Sometimes is works until the first couple of flushes and says 3/4 to Full soon after. Don't have the odors often but know its time to dump when we do. Basically we can see down the hole when its nearly full.
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:03 PM   #37

I use a calendar in place of the level sensors. Fresh tank, five days; gray tank, four days; black tank, eight days. Has worked flawlessly for a long time.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:02 PM   #38

My trailer is made with two blk tanks. So we are on blocks not much movement , so we do this main bathroom 1 and 2 back bathroom 1 only. We still have the sensors showing 1/3 full after we pull the lever. I was told without a large slope in the run to the sewer hook up. You may not empty your tank all the way. I think it is the poor design of the. Tanks with no follow.
Madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
You can’t think of the black tank as a septic tank, it’s a holding tank. You dump it relying on gravity, not pump/suck out the contents.
Agree, and half the time the pavement at the dump station slopes away from the drain ensuring a few gallons of sludge don't come out even with the sprayer. My last stop before home always seems to be like this.

Thankfully this stuff is relatively cheap (per dump) and works really well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:45 PM   #40

Thanks for all the replies, folks! If I wasn't clear in the original post, we are more or less weeknd warriors. While The Wife has summers off, I do not. The Kids are 11 and 8. So most of our trips are 3-4 nights in state park campgrounds with no water/sewer hookup. Each summer we also do a "Big Trip' for about two weeks or more. We live in Michigan and past big trips included a long route through the Carolinas and Georgia to Disney World, a trip around all five Great Lakes, and a trip to Grand Canyon/Bryce/Zion/New Mexico/Colorado (not in that order).

So we don't stay in any one place for more than 3-4 nights, typically. Perhaps that is my advantage. I know we are never going to fill our black tank. We rarely ever even come close to using all of our fresh water. We have never had any odor problem except (in the last year or two) when traveling on the road, when there is a bit of an odor. As many others have said I know the sensors are never going to be accurate so I don't worry too much about them.

My camper also has no built-in black tank flush. I guess that is why I don't get the obsession some have with trying to clean it. I'm never going to drink from it. It is made to hold poop. How clean do I need it to be???

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank