Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax View Post
Atheism is so senseless-

Isaac Newton
???
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #22

I pulled up all available vehicle inspection reports for my travel trailer (all in Texas) (GVWR 9000) they show the following:

Date: 08-09, Classification: Trailer, Total fee: $14.50
Date: 01-12, Classification: Trailer, Total fee: $14.50
Date: 04-12, Classification: Commercial, Total fee: $14.50
Date: 02-14, Classification: Trailer, Total fee: $14.50
Date: 04-16, Classification: Commercial, Total fee: $29.00

Definitely some discrepancies there, and according to the OP, you get nothing but the runaround if you try to get it corrected.

And yes, this is an annual process, but it wasn't done that way for one reason or another. (I am the second owner.) All they do for the inspection is look at the tire tread and check the lights. It's a bummer to have to go through the hassle and pay the fee when these are things I check myself before every trip, but I guess not everyone does, and the rest of us have to suffer because of them.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax View Post
You're right. Its 7500. Hence, my tt was 7700. It had to be inspected. Oh, well. My new trailer on order the 3006v is above that too. I dont mind. I think its a good law.
What a lot of people don't realize is that it's been on the books for years in one form or another. When TX went to the one sticker thing where you have to have the inspection on file before they'll let you renew it, it forced a whole bunch of people to start getting inspections done that weren't before. I can't recall ever seeing an actual inspection sticker on any more than a small handful of trailers before. I'm like you, I've seen some really questionable trailers being pulled around. It's just like cars...if you didn't require an inspection, you'd see a whole bunch of people never replacing a tire until it blew out with cords showing everywhere. At least "most" trailer owners actually take care of their stuff though.