Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2022, 06:59 PM   #21

I tried to get fuel on the Florida Tpke truck lane and the nozzle was to big to fit my
Ford Transi filler.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
You did exactly as you should .

X2
flyflotrtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by correpat View Post
I was just passing along what I had been told by my MB dealer. Their explanation was based on the different types of DEF; truck stop DEF isn't "blue DEF" which is recommended by MB.

Also, I noticed you don't drive an MB, so your Chevy might be able to use a different type of DEF and you have valid points.

Finally, it's your vehicle; use what you want in it, but everyone should consult the owner's manual and know what they're putting in their engine.
Blue DEF has the same ISO standard as all the rest of them. Nothing wrong with brand loyalty. Luckily, I don't have to worry about DEF in my personal truck. It is pre-DEF
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markt1993 View Post
I will say it does bug me a bit when the guy is in the truck lane with no trailer. And that’s only because he’d had other options we do not.
No option if I want to get the discount from my fleet card that only works at the truck lanes. But 35 gallons goes in pretty quick and then I drive around to the car side and park to go inside and do what I need to.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:29 PM   #25

I've use the truck lanes to fill up with gas a few times when the situation on the car side called for it. They don't just have diesel over there.

I felt pretty silly but the cashier didn't mind.

I always pull over there to park for rest stop after fuel.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markt1993 View Post
Ok so I’m a truck driver, and I have a camper. The only time it bugs me at all that a guy with a camper/boat is using the truck lanes is when it’s super busy and their are RV pumps. Normally I don’t think much about it. Even at the truck stops it is pretty tight on the car side. I will say it does bug me a bit when the guy is in the truck lane with no trailer. And that’s only because he’d had other options we do not. As far as the proper way…pull up, pay at pump or inside, fill up and then pull up the the line so the next person can start fueling. Don’t usually need to go park, unless you plan to be a while. I’m usually at the pump for 10-15 minutes at least.
As far as the card issue, it’s no biggie, it’s that in that side they pretty much only deal with companies so when you say your just a guy it can throw them off. If you start going to the big chains (T/A, Petro, Love’s, Flying J/Pilot) you can get reward cards that will get you done points. Note that these places are a little more expensive but offer cash discounts. Pilot/Flying J you can pay at the pump with any major CC. The others you’ll need to go inside.
Fun fact, many of the new Love’s are putting in RV hookup spots. These are full hook up, and are away from the trucks do you don’t have the noise and traffic. Not that you want to camp at Love’s but it like boondocking but with full hookups.
That’s not true. The TSD EFS card works at the pump at T/A, Loves, Petrol..etc. don’t have to go inside.

I’ve found, at least on the east coast, T/A has significant discounts. I took a trip from Florida to Bar Harbor this summer. All the T/A were cheaper with the discounts than I could find in town when I was disconnected from my 5th wheel.

Get the Open Roads app when you get you TSD fuel card and it will show the participating truck stops and the discounts. Not all T/A or other major truck stop participate in the discount program.

Thanks for the professional truckers prospective on RV’s at the pumps. I’m very aware you guys are working while I’m just dorking around. I’m not at the pump long so f you see me and the stalls are full jump in behind me because I’ll be gone before you set your brake.

If the stalls are busy and full if I see an rv in one I know to get behind them as they won’t be long compared to a trucker.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:01 PM   #27

A bit off topic but not far;

This is for cars at gas stations, not truck stops:in Massachusetts, it is acceptable to drive up to the fuel island and park your car. You may then go into the convenience store, go to the rest room, purchase a coffee and whatever snack suits your fancy. You may then return to your vehicle and make a phone call while sitting in your vehicle and eating your breakfast burrito and drinking your coffee. At any time that suits you, you may then fuel up your vehicle. When done, you can return to your vehicle and perhaps take another call. After you have parked your car for some 15-20 minutes at the pump island, taken your sweet time to talk to your friends and done your business, you are of course free to continue on your way completely oblivious to the fact that you may have inconvenienced others because in Massachusetts there is an unwritten rule that it's all about you and the store manager and evidently corporate owners have no interest in changing this behavior as it evidently works for them. Massachusetts drivers are privileged and proud to enjoy their unique place in the universe.
Lubehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:03 PM   #28

We can't use the big rig side with our 2003 duramax diesel. Our filler tube has the small opening and the big nozzles won't fit in it.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by desuhu View Post
We can't use the big rig side with our 2003 duramax diesel. Our filler tube has the small opening and the big nozzles won't fit in it.
Several methods to remedy that. Transfer Flow used to sell a kit but looks like it is now unavailable for some reason. Peruse Duramax Forum for what others have done.
Had a friend take his filler tube off and removed the small hole plate and enlarged the vent tube. I believe only 2001 to 2003 had the smaller holes/tubes, but I'm not positive.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:51 PM   #30

The Ford powerstroke turbo 5 has the same self sealing fuel fill as the cars and directly underneath is the DEF fill.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #31
REL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
A bit off topic but not far;

This is for cars at gas stations, not truck stops:in Massachusetts, it is acceptable to drive up to the fuel island and park your car. You may then go into the convenience store, go to the rest room, purchase a coffee and whatever snack suits your fancy. You may then return to your vehicle and make a phone call while sitting in your vehicle and eating your breakfast burrito and drinking your coffee. At any time that suits you, you may then fuel up your vehicle. When done, you can return to your vehicle and perhaps take another call. After you have parked your car for some 15-20 minutes at the pump island, taken your sweet time to talk to your friends and done your business, you are of course free to continue on your way completely oblivious to the fact that you may have inconvenienced others because in Massachusetts there is an unwritten rule that it's all about you and the store manager and evidently corporate owners have no interest in changing this behavior as it evidently works for them. Massachusetts drivers are privileged and proud to enjoy their unique place in the universe.

Went to a Sheetz for diesel today in PA. About 10 gas lanes and 2 diesel/gas. Gasser pulls in the diese/ gas lane. Fills up and goes inside and orders food. Found him in the store and called him out on it. " You know there are only 2 diesel pumps out there and you have been parked at one for 20 minutes".
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 10:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sounds like you did everything correctly. The main etiquette is to be thoughtful of those around you and not hold anybody up.
I have to echo and stress what fellow New Mexican said: be thoughtful.

We've been using ESD/Open Roads for the most part. The app is great in letting us plan ahead for the best stops to use.

I do want to stress what several have already mentioned: when done, if you need to go inside for a short stop (e.g., bio-break), pull forward enough to allow the guy or gal behind you to begin fueling. This was something I wish someone had told me when we first started: it didn't take long to figure out the etiquette--it make much sense--but wish I'd've known from the git-go (instead of having to park somewhere).

Yes, there are rude truckers--but my experience is that the percentage is lower than for rude RVers.
jkgruet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:29 AM   #33

I got my TSD card prior to our coast-to-coast trip this past May. Man what have I been missing before!

Easy entry, truckers are friendly and talkative and the lines move along. Discounts anywhere from $.20 per gal up to $1.00 +.

You can use the TSD card at Pilot and J's but you don't get a discount. Why? Because Good Sam's has an exclusive agreement with them as the only RV'er fuel discount, last I checked a paltry $.03 per gal.

I'll probably never go to a small roadside gas station again.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, truck