Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #1

Progressive insurance

Seems Progressive is wanting to get deeper into the RV insurance sales. they requested I fill out a survey about how I utilize my rig, type of use, time AM/PM driving, distance type of roads and frequency no questions about speed. They claim the survey will have no effect on my rate (which is very low) I wonder?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah.. Nothing is ever free. They have my info that they need to insure me (state farm in my case) that is all.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #3
Retired Army MSG!

I went through Good Sam, however, the Good Sam rep shopped and found Progressive to be the best options for coverage and premium. I had been using Travelers since they have my homeowners and vehicles. Once I traded RV's this years, Travelers was way too expensive.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Darling bride is an insurance agent and one of the things they are finding is people who have RVs are living in them fulltime or more thant truly occasional recreational use. Rating is done differently just like vacation homes are different than primary.

I wouldn't doubt your survey will be used to add variables to underwriting factors. Not you specifically but overall for Progressives book of business.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
Defender of America

It's all about "risk assessment". You might actually find that you are less of a risk than the "common RV owner" because of how and when you use it. They may surprise you and it could be positive for your rates. However, the flip side also applies. Just my 2 cents and worth exactly what you paid for it.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Darling bride is an insurance agent and one of the things they are finding is people who have RVs are living in them fulltime or more thant truly occasional recreational use. Rating is done differently just like vacation homes are different than primary.

I wouldn't doubt your survey will be used to add variables to underwriting factors. Not you specifically but overall for Progressives book of business.
I agree. It is seemingly more and more common to have people just doing the full time thing and selling off their homes. They are now working remotely and there is no end in site so why not?

I am on a FB group for Arctic Wolfs and everyday people join who have never owned or even camped before and doing the instagram camping lifestyle thing.

I agree it is to better gauge their market

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:17 PM   #7

Many of those questions in the OP make sense from a risk-assessment perspective.

Driving long distances in one day and arriving tired at your campsite at night increases the risk of running your RV into an overhanging branch.

Ask me how I know.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #8

OP, don't fill out ANY surveys from Progressive or any other insurance company. As has been stated several times they are doing a risk assessment "of Your" RV use and driving, hidden under the disguise of a simple survey. This is a very common practice in the vehicle insurance industry.

Some years back I was with USF&G insurance for my cars and home. One day a very lovely sounding lady called from the insurance company and very politely asked if I had a few moments to take a brief survey. Being the opinionated person that I am I said sure, why not. Well one question asked more in a conversational delivery was about my job and how's it going, leading to more questions, very informal, about my daily vehicle use while at work. I was a commissioned salesperson back then, traveling between different offices or clients' homes. I had nothing to hide so I spoke freely. Shortly after my "conversation/survey" with the very charming lady, I got a rate increase on all of my policies, even homeowners that more than doubled my current premium.

Faster than Haley's comet did I drop USF&G and that was that last call I took from any of my insurance carriers.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:25 AM   #9

I received an email from Progressive for my TT insurance with them around the time you posted asking if I would do the survey. I thought immediately that I was not giving them more information than absolutely necessary to use against me. (The survey results could have netted me a cool $50 off my premium for the year… or it could have netted me a horrendous $200 a year premium increase.)
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 05:55 AM   #10

It's all Corp BS. Finding new ways to charge more. Or at least offer more = $$.
I ended up with good sam company. Progressive wanted $1900, Geico $1200. I got it for $870. On initial order we tell them we prob use it x amount of times. Now they want to know how many miles u taking it. Example u use it 5 times a yr. is it 5 times a yr going about 100 miles from storage/home or 5 times a yr going 1500 miles each time. = risk for them.......
In a nutshell the more we tell them the more it's going to cost at some point. Unless your the person that just goes 100 miles away 4/5 times a yr.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:33 AM   #11

I have used Progressive for years and started checking other prices and found out if you live in Ohio progressive rates are higher than other states. I ended up with Geico.
2022 Yamaha Wolverine RMAX2 Sport
atkbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #12

We utilized our auto insurance and added the TT, it is thru Ga Farm Bureau, and the cost was $140 every 6 months, full coverage
Old 12-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
OP, don't fill out ANY surveys from Progressive or any other insurance company. As has been stated several times they are doing a risk assessment "of Your" RV use and driving, hidden under the disguise of a simple survey. This is a very common practice in the vehicle insurance industry.

I refuse to do any surveys from anyone. I'm tired of the data mining being done by companies.

Tags
insurance