Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #121

We have had ours cranked up under the awning as high as the flames will go with no problems. Our awning is quite high and we keep it sloped down to one side. This not only sheds the rain on the low side but also allows the rising hot air to escape better on the high side.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:05 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYDROG View Post
We have had ours cranked up under the awning as high as the flames will go with no problems. Our awning is quite high and we keep it sloped down to one side. This not only sheds the rain on the low side but also allows the rising hot air to escape better on the high side.
Thanks for the info.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #123

Propane fire pit information and discussion.

Here’s a picture of my hose connections. I swapped the original hose on our Outland with a pigtail with a quick connect. The original 20 foot hose was converted to a quick connect so we could have the option of directly connecting to a bottle. I also bought a 12 foot quick connect to connect to the trailers LP system to reach further out. (No picture of this one)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3769.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	505.9 KB
ID:	218052

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3770.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	218054
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:16 PM   #124
Brake is on left

I have enjoyed this thread. We will be on our first outing soon with gas griddle and fire place soon. I did a T tap on our propane tanks to run the fire pit and griddle. It may not stay that way but we will see. The long hose from tank to pit may prove to be a pain but better than lugging a separate tank.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #125

Propane fire pit information and discussion.

Here’s a YouTube link to a video for those that have not seen one in operation. This was set on high. The small logs were purchased on Amazon.
https://youtu.be/pFJ_LscubII
Old 10-27-2019, 11:16 PM   #126
Chabbie1

We also use the Outland 24' Mega Firebowl we got at Costco a couple years ago. We carry 20# tank for it in the back of our truck along with the fire pit. Love having the propane fire especially where wood fires are restricted. The fire pit and tank actually take up less space in the truck bed than firewood and no smoke! Plus we can put the fire pit anywhere in our campsite, even under our awning!
Chabbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #127

This thread caught my eye, because I've hauled firewood (still wrapped $6 bundle) home from several trips this summer. Too hot, too wet, whatever. I picked up a 19" Outback firebowl last week and really like it based on a little test run on the back deck.
Propane - as info. I also bought a new 20# propane tank and had it filled at our UHaul rental place. 3.9 gallons to fill an empty tank, and it cost me $12.xx If I can avoid it, I also plan on steering clear of refill places that charge a flat $20 or $25 fee to refill a 20# bottle.
I was surprised and wanted to share.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #128
Trailer Park Supervisor

The only time I use those propane 'exchange' places is when I want a new tank. I take any outdated tanks and exchange them. Or go to my town's DPW yard where there is always a collection of old tanks people throw away, then take them to the exchange place and get a filled one in decent shape for 18 bucks or whatever it is. I never buy tanks.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:41 PM   #129

Problem Lighting Gas Fire Pit

I bought a house that had a fire pit already in it. Psych! Oops, it doesn't light.

This was built with a Stanbroil spark ignition system. To troubleshoot, I cleared all the media (mix of lava rocks and fire glass) away from the works (H-shaped burner and spark igniter).

The igniter sparks continually when its button is pushed, but it won't light the burner. Yet, if I stick my Zippo grill lighter right next to where the igniter is, the whole burner ignites as you'd expect. So it doesn't seem to be a problem with gas flow. I tried a different battery in the igniter but there was no change in the results.

Anybody have an idea what's wrong? Thanks!
pablo_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #130

spark is not close enough to the burner head...

if you can't move the spark point, then maybe slightly enlarge the gas hole closest to the spark, but only slightly... maybe a bit more gas jetting toward the spark would help

If that does not work then those long handle lighters work well to manually light.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:34 PM   #131
Old Engineer

I second RSDATA's response.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #132

NJKris...
Quote:
The only time I use those propane 'exchange' places is when I want a new tank.
My local Tractor supply will not refill those exchange tanks... so how do you get an exchange tank refilled?

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 02-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #133
Trailer Park Supervisor

How do they know it is an exchange tank? The only thing they check when I fill them is the date. Oh, did I mention I rip off the plastic sleeve? They only trap condensation and make tank rust. I take my tanks for refills at several places, can't remember if they had those sleeves on or not.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:32 PM   #134

well the sleeve was intact... I will try tearing it off... thx for the knowledge
Tractor Supply is the only place I know of that only charges for what you get, other propane fillers around here have flat tank rates that are often near double of what TS charges especially when propane price/gal is down.

2014 Shamrock 183
Old 02-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #135

Uhaul will typically charge for what you get as well. Maybe Menards but I have never filled there.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:40 AM   #136

Around here we have several propane companies that will fill your tank. Also many hardware stores and a few gas stations. They only charge for what you get. . I never use a box store tank exchange anymore. Got leaky/half filled tanks and tanks with moisture in them that way.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #137
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
well the sleeve was intact... I will try tearing it off... thx for the knowledge
Tractor Supply is the only place I know of that only charges for what you get, other propane fillers around here have flat tank rates that are often near double of what TS charges especially when propane price/gal is down.
Costco charges you for what they fill and they're typically the cheapest price I find- even beating Tractor Supply. It's the REST of the Costco trip that's expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Uhaul will typically charge for what you get as well. Maybe Menards but I have never filled there.
Agreed, UHaul charges for what you get, but I find their price to usually be quite a bit higher than TS and Costco. They'll do in a pinch, though.

I've also found their waits can be quite a while. I seem to have terrible luck and always end up there when it's one guy, Jack McSlowski, working and he has 9 things to do.

Tags
propane

« 1924 RV | Windsong »