Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #1

Propane fire pit information and discussion.

In another post we are discussing the transportation of diseased firewood and the use of propane fire pits came up so this thread is intended to discuss the different types and brands of propane fire pits.

Who is using this type of fire pit, what brand/ model do you have, what do you like-dislike about your model, do you use your onboard tanks or a portable tank? Any issues someone should be aware of if contemplating the purchase of a propane fire pit?

Thanks for you input.
Dave
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Thanks Dave. I would like to see the responses to this as well. I have not thought about a gas fire pit before but saw the same thing you did.

Be safe and Happy Camping.
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

We have been in the market for one - DH has gotten a bit sensitive about the smoke bugging his lungs & I believe it comes down to hating loading up wood every time! Looking forward to everyone's thoughts here (have lurked around the smoker review forum also - need to decide on good Christmas gift!)

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

This year we started using a propane firepit, because I survived lung cancer last year. We use separate tank from the rv propane. That is going to change next year, I think. The firepit is about 16-18inches in diameter, cost was about $100 for the pit + 35 for a new full propane tank. For a family of 5 it's great. You can also roast marshmallows with it. We don't have to worry about lighting a fire anymore.

Alucke
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
This year we started using a propane firepit, because I survived lung cancer last year. We use separate tank from the rv propane. That is going to change next year, I think. The firepit is about 16-18inches in diameter, cost was about $100 for the pit + 35 for a new full propane tank. For a family of 5 it's great. You can also roast marshmallows with it. We don't have to worry about lighting a fire anymore.

Alucke

Glad you beat the big C Alucke. [emoji122]
Do you know the brand and model of your propane pit and where you purchased it?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
Glad you beat the big C Alucke. [emoji122]
Do you know the brand and model of your propane pit and where you purchased it?
It's a tawton round steel firepit (18.5") from big lots (pa) have no idea if they are in any other state. It's $99.99 on big lots website. Here is a link:

https://www.biglots.com/product/tawt...+steel+firepit

Alucke
Old 10-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
It's a tawton round steel firepit (18.5") from big lots (pa) have no idea if they are in any other state. It's $99.99 on big lots website. Here is a link:

https://www.biglots.com/product/tawt...+steel+firepit

Alucke

[emoji106]
Old 10-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #8

Shop around, other store will probably have name brand firepit that maybe less or more than the cost of the firepit i shared the link for.

Alucke
Old 10-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We have this one by Bond.
We use it both with an external tank and sometimes connected to the low pressure port depending on where we decide we want a fire.
It works well and gives off good heat so it's more than a pretty fire.

We like the twist locking lid (that you can put on even when warm) and that the flame control is built into the unit so switching between sources is simple. The flame control valve also has a piezoelectric lighter function.

The only thing we've done in the two years we've had it is add additional lava rock to the tune of $5.

We've certainly not cooked on it but I believe you could with a BBQ grill grate. We have roasted marshmallows on it.
We got it on sale for $70.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bond-18-5-i...e-Pit/50037272

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #10

we have the little red campfire. i also have an extra 20 lb propane tank we use so we can place the campfire where ever we want. it will also use the 1 lb green bottles but that only seems to last a single fire on those; the 20 pounder lasts me quite awhile. Don't really want to use the camper propane tanks as we have a hybrid camper and the tanks are under the front bed and it is a PIA to change/refill tanks if i run out of propane there while set up camping.

i like that there is no smoke, don't have to buy/haul wood and when we are ready to go in - just turn it off.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
We have this one by Bond.
We use it both with an external tank and sometimes connected to the low pressure port depending on where we decide we want a fire.
It works well and gives off good heat so it's more than a pretty fire.

We like the twist locking lid (that you can put on even when warm) and that the flame control is built into the unit so switching between sources is simple. The flame control valve also has a piezoelectric lighter function.

The only thing we've done in the two years we've had it is add additional lava rock to the tune of $5.

We've certainly not cooked on it but I believe you could with a BBQ grill grate. We have roasted marshmallows on it.
We got it on sale for $70.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bond-18-5-i...e-Pit/50037272

We have the same unit from Lowes. Throws out a lot of heat. Easy to light/extinguish. Can use under awning even if raining. No smoke side. Uses moderate amount of propane.

I was a skeptic before I bought this but now I really like it. Also easy to use at home or anywhere...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #12

Have used one for three years... I run it off of the trailer quick disconnect port. Removed the regulator from the firepit to do so, but carry it along in case I want to use a separate tank. Add a set of ceramic logs...its beautiful!
Yooper D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:35 PM   #13

How warm?

So we camp mostly in Michigan, but also seem to take one long cross-country trip per season. We camp early and late in the season and usually bring some rough weather along with us. So I am curious how much heat these put out and how close you need to be? Are they enough to put in a regular fire pit and have a family of four sit around to warm up?
Old 10-01-2019, 09:48 PM   #14

I wouldn't compare the heat output to a good wood fire with a bed of coals, but they do produce a fair amount. I have found that the ceramic logs seem to radiate the heat more than just lava rock alone.
Yooper D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
Grammar Pedant

Outland Firebowl Mega is a 24" fire pit that's usually found at Costco for $100. We use ours on our patio and during fire bans.

A 24" pit is going to be 60% larger than a 19" pit ... go with the bigger size.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:07 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2pfunk View Post
So we camp mostly in Michigan, but also seem to take one long cross-country trip per season. We camp early and late in the season and usually bring some rough weather along with us. So I am curious how much heat these put out and how close you need to be? Are they enough to put in a regular fire pit and have a family of four sit around to warm up?
They aren’t nearly as warm as a real wood fire but we’ve sat out with 4-8 of us around one before. Getting to 8 and up, we usually have multiple pits going. If you have it high enough, it does give off propane fumes and we’ve noted propane smell on us a time or two after an evening around the fire.

Mine came from Amazon. It was right about $100. No idea on the actual product (it was my wife’s account so it’s not in my order history). My only gripe is the spark igniter doesn’t work- but this thing lives outside and in the elements; I really can’t complain.

I also carry a 11 lb propane tank for it. I didn’t want the size of a 20 lb tank and am too lazy to get my 30 lbs tank off of the rig. Mini-tank came from Menards. They’re expensive but nice.

I love the simple on and simple off.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
They aren’t nearly as warm as a real wood fire but we’ve sat out with 4-8 of us around one before. Getting to 8 and up, we usually have multiple pits going. If you have it high enough, it does give off propane fumes and we’ve noted propane smell on us a time or two after an evening around the fire.

Mine came from Amazon. It was right about $100. No idea on the actual product (it was my wife’s account so it’s not in my order history). My only gripe is the spark igniter doesn’t work- but this thing lives outside and in the elements; I really can’t complain.

I also carry a 11 lb propane tank for it. I didn’t want the size of a 20 lb tank and am too lazy to get my 30 lbs tank off of the rig. Mini-tank came from Menards. They’re expensive but nice.

I love the simple on and simple off.
Yeah, I carry an 11-pound tank for a WeberQ. Love it, but it cost about the same as a 20-pound tank, maybe a little more.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:02 AM   #18

I have one of the early "Little Red Campfire" models with the multiple piece ceramic logs. You probably want to keep them in the bubble wrap when storing so as not to break them. Carry a pair of jersey gloves and a chip brush to clean the soot off before storage as they are messy. I carry a spare 20# cylinder to run it and set the product off the ground on a milk crate. Seems to give off more heat and ambiance. We have used it under the awning in inclement weather. It has it's merits in certain condition where you may not want to go to the trouble of a wood fire which I prefer hands down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_202605.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	216416  
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:07 AM   #19

Propane Pit ?? More crap to pack, more weight in the trailer, more stuff to set up ? I'll pass.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:27 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

It's actually easier and MUCH lighter than transporting wood, and set up is as easy as connecting it to a propane tank and turning the knob. I have the Outland Firebowl 870 Premium I bought last year for 125 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bring an extra 20 lb tank in my pickup to use with it an my other propane outdoor appliances. There is NOTHING I dislike about it. I considered adapting it for use with the propane port on the TT, but it wasn't worth the expense. A long propane hose with big enough ID to not lose pressure is expensive! It is just easier to use an extra LP tank to run it, and since I don't use it just for camping, it has to have it's original regulator. I've thrown it in the trunk of my car for all kinds of social occasions. Instant party, just bring propane and alcohol!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane

« 1924 RV | Windsong »