Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 07:45 AM   #21

This is the one we use during burn bans, it works great. The optional carry bag is well worth it as well.

It's a good size and looks very much like a real campfire, yet still portable.

The auto ignition works great and it can be turned down to a low glow all the way up to a good size fire that puts out decent heat. Connects directly to the propane bottle, I installed a splitter and extension hose for ours.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
2022 Ford F-350 Lariat, 4x4, CC, SRW, 7.3L
01tundra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L48 View Post
Outland Firebowl Mega is a 24" fire pit that's usually found at Costco for $100. We use ours on our patio and during fire bans.

A 24" pit is going to be 60% larger than a 19" pit ... go with the bigger size.
Fire bans? Is this not a fire?
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #23

2 years back I was in a campground in Florida that did not allow transported wood and they inforced it. The wife and I saw an Outland at a nearby site and I joking said "I guess we are gonna have to get one of those". I was always one who thought camping should always involve a real fire, and honestly had no intention of ever getting one. Suprise that Christmas, my daughter gives us one.

Not so excited at first but after 2 years using it, I wouldnt have it any other way.

Packs better that hauling firewood.
Instant Fire when you want it
Turn it off when done
Cheaper than firewood (especially if you are buying at/near campgrounds)
Cleaner transporting
Not as HOT but does provide warmth.

Have to get use to not poking the fire or putting trash in it!

I have separate tank normally.

We love it, which I thought not possible initially It has nothing really to do with the environmental claims of risks of firewood.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
They don't ban gas grills do they! The problems with campfires are sparks and debris coming out of the fire pit and leaving fires unattended to die out. Shut down the gas...its out
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #25
Part-Time Campground Host

We use the Outland Firebowl 870 Premium. We really like it. We also got the carry case for it. The case is very sturdy and keeps what little ash there is from the lava rocks from getting into our storage compartment. We hook it up to our gas grill hookup on the camper. We ordered some extensions hoses as it only comes with a 10 ft hose. No extra regulator is required.
Here's a pic that compares a wood fire and the gas fire. The gas fireplace is in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181226_173828.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	216428  
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1680
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:06 AM   #26
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Have to get use to not poking the fire or putting trash in it!
GBaldwin, I had mine fired up at my college homecoming recently. As I'm sitting there, some guy tossed an empty beer can onto the fire. He thought it was a real fire!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #27

Great responses and information. Keep them coming.
[emoji91]
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Propane Pit ?? More crap to pack, more weight in the trailer, more stuff to set up ? I'll pass.

That was helpful?
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #29
rbq

Have used the Campchef Redwood fire pit for years. Like the carry case & and roasting sticks that come with it. Not as warm as a real fire, but we have had too many years with burn bans due to drought & have still been able to enjoy this fire. Don't care much for smelling like smoke so can do without a real fire. I carry a 20# propane tank for it.
https://www.campchef.com/fire-pits/p...-fire-pit.html
Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Propane Pit ?? More crap to pack, more weight in the trailer, more stuff to set up ? I'll pass.
Yes, but if you are currently hauling wood, its much less and less mess.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #31
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
No, it's not. Not in the context of outdoor fires. There are three stages of fire bans in CO and I'll describe them in the context of campfires (there are other restrictions that I'll skip, such as running chainsaws and things that could cause a spark).

Stage 1 is that there are no outdoor fires except in USFS fire rings in improved campgrounds. So, that means no problem going to a regular campground and blazing away. Landowners can't burn any brush piles. People who like to boondock can't have a fire ... even if you bring your own USFS approved fire ring, no fire for you (must be in an improved campground).

Stage 2 is that there are no open fires, except grills and other appliances that burn off propane/natural gas. The key here is that there isn't any fuel that can spread ... no embers/ash that will jump out of the fire or float up in the smoke. You can't even smoke a cigarette/cigar outdoors during Stage 2 bans, because the ash/butts can create a fire hazard. LP devices don't have this issue and are specifically exempted from the ban.

Stage 3 is basically the area is shut down. No public entry to the area.

I think these are state interpretations of federal guidelines, so your state may vary ... but is probably similar. Here, fire bans are a function of the county sheriff.

In CO, we catch on fire every summer ... this year was an exception. By June, most counties are at least in Stage 1 bans. By July, some are in Stage 2. By August, many/most are in Stage 2. So, having a propane fire pit is a nice backup. I just check a fire ban map and plan accordingly.

The amazon links above were for a 19" pit for $120. Again, the 24" version of that pit is probably at your local Costco for $99. 19" is pretty tiny. 24" better approximates a campfire.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
They aren’t nearly as warm as a real wood fire but we’ve sat out with 4-8 of us around one before. Getting to 8 and up, we usually have multiple pits going. If you have it high enough, it does give off propane fumes and we’ve noted propane smell on us a time or two after an evening around the fire.

Mine came from Amazon. It was right about $100. No idea on the actual product (it was my wife’s account so it’s not in my order history). My only gripe is the spark igniter doesn’t work- but this thing lives outside and in the elements; I really can’t complain.

I also carry a 11 lb propane tank for it. I didn’t want the size of a 20 lb tank and am too lazy to get my 30 lbs tank off of the rig. Mini-tank came from Menards. They’re expensive but nice.

I love the simple on and simple off.
You may want to check your unit? I’ve never had propane fumes or smells. Sounds like your pit may not be igniting all the propane? Maybe others have experienced propane smells and will chime in. I just have not...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #33

I use a Fire Dancer in my trailer. Hook it to the outlet from the trailer. Had to modify by taking the regulator off of the fire pit because the trailer propane is all ready regulated. Got it on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81kmq3FLVaL._SL1500_[1].jpg
Views:	156
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	216431  

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #34

We have the one Costco sells. One thing that (pleasantly) surprised me was how quickly it cooled off to pack up. I figured it would stay hot to the touch for a while, but typically within 30 minutes it can be loaded back up in the truck.
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #35

fire pit

We carry a Big Red. and an 11 pound tank for the fire pit and grill.

GMC 3500 HD Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 34 RE
AirBox Revolution hitch
MorRyde pin box
Finlee Westie #5 (Door bell and security.)
Dave_the_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #36

We also use Outland Firebowl Deluxe 19 in. Steel Portable Propane Fire Pit with Cover and Carry Kit with a separate 20# propane tank so we can place the fire pit wherever we want it. We love it, much easier than would and no smoke to bother us or our neighbors.
jenandrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
They don't ban gas grills do they! The problems with campfires are sparks and debris coming out of the fire pit and leaving fires unattended to die out. Shut down the gas...its out

Oregon is getting pretty rigid in its use of fire restrictions. It has banned wood campfires (or any fire that could release sparks or embers), during fire season, in large areas of the state for quite some time. This year, for the first time that I am aware of, it banned fires. Period. Here is the latest (copied & pasted; emphasis added) update from the Oregon State Parks website:

"Updated Sept.20, 2019
If a park or campground is not listed below, campfires are allowed.

Campfires prohibited at:

Fall Creek State Recreation Area (specifically Winberry, Free Meadow, Lakeside I, Lakeside II)

Campfires, charcoal briquettes, smoker fires (wood pellets) and portable propane fire rings are not allowed. Liquid fuel cooking stoves are allowed. Campfires are allowed at North Shore, Cascara Campground and Fisherman's Point Group Camp."

(The list was quite a bit longer a few weeks ago but we've had a few good early season soakers which has allowed them to ease the bans a lot.)

One of the campsites we use frequently for quick, weekend trips, has fire bans nearly every summer. I was thinking of getting a propane fire ring until this year when, upon making a reservation, I was informed of the total ban on any fire. When we got there and talked with the camp host, he was pi**ed because they would not even let him use his Traeger grill.

I was thinking of getting a propane fire pit. Now am re-thinking that. Why bother if they are going to ban them? I am wondering how far these draconian bans will go. I know there have been serious fires the last few years but, as usual, officials seem to go to the extreme. (Upon relfection, though, given the stupidity of much of the population, maybe they have no choice.) I now find myself checking for fire bans before making reservations and will go elsewhere, when possible, if I bump into one. For my wife and me, campfires are an integral part of the whole "camping" experience.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #38
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
You may want to check your unit? I’ve never had propane fumes or smells. Sounds like your pit may not be igniting all the propane? Maybe others have experienced propane smells and will chime in. I just have not...
Appreciate the head's up. I've sat around 3-4 different firepits and have experienced it at least once with each one. It's not strong. But definitely there. We can usually tweak the burner level to get rid of it.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #39
Always Learning

We just did this where there's a 100% fire ban, including propane pits:
Old 10-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #40

I bought the Outland too, it provides the ambiance of a real fire, but it doesn't throw much heat.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane

« 1924 RV | Windsong »