Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #81

Propane fire pit

A similar unit from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Outland-Fireb...96786165&psc=1
pt35cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:16 AM   #82

Gas fire pit.

The wife and I purchased a Camp Chef gas fire pit a few years back for those times when we the wild fire danger is high and we can't burn a wood fire. We absolutely love it. The one down side is it doesn't give of the heat like a wood fire does and you loose the ambiance that a real fire gives at a campsite.
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:21 AM   #83

Camp Chef. Inexpensive and works perfectly. Since you are not supposed to transport firewood, this is easier and cheaper than buying wood. I remember that evening in a deep Pennsylvania mountain valley where everything was wet and the only firewood for sale was some wet spruce or hemlock. Campground was smothered with white smoke as campers struggled, mostly unsuccessfully, to get a fire going. We hooked up the Camp Chef and in one minute were sitting around a nice toasty fire without smoke. What’s not to like? Yes, with the grandkids we usually build a fire when possible.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #84

We did

I never thought we'd like a propane pit but found a couple of campgrounds that
didn't allow fires. We got one for about $100 and love it. We camp in (northern) Florida all winter and there are many cool nights. Also like the fact we don't worry about the wind direction and having to keep moving around to stay out of the smoke! Never tried to cook on it.
Tomban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #85

Walmart.com fire pit $78

I bought the above unit and love it. I ran a low pressure line ( after the onboard regulator ) with quick disconnect off my on board system. Bought a 12 ft hose and the proper connectors . Has 2 settings .
I keep the supplied 4 ft hose w regulator in case I want to use a standard 20 lb tank.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #86
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Anyone tried the Flame Genie that uses wood pellets? The pellets are about $5 for a 50 pound bag. No smoke.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #87

We bought one this spring after spending $60 on firewood for a weekend outing.
It is an Outland brand we got from Costco for under $100. We take an extra 20lb propane cylinder to run it and our Coleman camp stove. On a normal summer weekend we can go both days without running out of gas. If it is cooler and we burn the fire higher and/or longer we have to bring out the second tank from the TT.

The fire ring has paid for itself already.

2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn
2019 Palomino Solaire 202RB

"Why yes, this is my circus and these are my monkeys!"
jcr59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #88

Like most others, I am a convert to propane firepits. Last year I bought a 21 inch Outland 863 Cypress model (about $200 Canadian) and a 25 foot propane hose ($55) and the necessary fittings to adapt it all to the low pressure outlet on our motorhome. I ordered everything from amazon.ca. I was concerned that the long hose would not produce enough pressure to operate the firepit (and my Weber Q BBQ) properly but it works very well.
The 863 is one of the more expensive Outland models but we like the large diameter, low profile and the burner pattern. It produces no smoke or sparks and can be started and shut down almost instantly. It can be safely operated close to the motorhome and beneath the awning. It produces a fair amount of heat but not as much as a big wood fire. I was worried about propane consumption but we have had 3 or 4 fires with it running on high for several hours at a time and the propane gauge on the motorhome tank barely moves. Much better than paying $8 or 10 or more for a small bag of firewood.
Many of the Canadian campgrounds have banned bringing in your own firewood and some threaten big fines if you are caught doing so. I still sometimes spend $40 or 50 to buy wood for a real fire but most of the time I am more than happy with the propane firepit.
2004 ALFA Leisure Gold Diesel Pusher (41')
1990 Elite (27' C Class, not on rental fleet)
1984 Elite (25' C Class on GO Vacations rental fleet)
HYDROG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #89

I've had the Outland fire bowl from Amazon for 3 seasons now. Believe I have the 19" with the lid and carry strap. I absolutely love it. Want a fire now? Turn on gas and click the aim and flame, done. Done with fire, turn switch off and go inside.
I have it set up to run off the trailer quick connect and carry 32 feet of hose along with an 8' whip on the pit itself. So nice not to carry an extra propane tank anymore.

I have unlimited access to firewood and am an Eagle scout and well versed with wood campfires.
We also have both the emerald ash borer and spotted lanternfly, major firewood transport bans. We tried buying local wood once, and then bought the propane pit and haven't looked back.
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #90

Mine burns 60,000 BTU on high. That equates to about 3 lbs / hr or 7 1/2 hrs on a 20 lb tank. At low the burn time doubles.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #91

Hi we have a propane fire pit, not sure of the brand as it's in the trailer right now, but we bought it from Costco last year, I miss the wood camp fire But I like the ability to have a small flame UNDER our awning in the morning having our coffee and it takes 20 seconds to light, It came with a 6 ft hose to a large tank BBQ style fitting, I used it like this for awhile it allows you to move it around the site like under awing if it's raining, to the lake if your backed into a lake side. But then I changed to a 12 or 15 ft hose to a quick connect to the trailer BBQ fitting and now I don't need to lug a extra tank. I also purchased a quick connect Y fitting so I don't need to un plug the BBQ to run the firepit. Oh and I keep the original hose on board ( 1 wrench needed) to convert back if needed to go farther away ( not needed yet)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190530_204612.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	460.1 KB
ID:	216963  
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
I've had the Outland fire bowl from Amazon for 3 seasons now. Believe I have the 19" with the lid and carry strap. I absolutely love it. Want a fire now? Turn on gas and click the aim and flame, done. Done with fire, turn switch off and go inside.
I have it set up to run off the trailer quick connect and carry 32 feet of hose along with an 8' whip on the pit itself. So nice not to carry an extra propane tank anymore.

I have unlimited access to firewood and am an Eagle scout and well versed with wood campfires.
We also have both the emerald ash borer and spotted lanternfly, major firewood transport bans. We tried buying local wood once, and then bought the propane pit and haven't looked back.

And my wife likes the NO Smoke smell on our clothes and trailer the next day
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #93
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraclassic View Post
Hi we have a propane fire pit, not sure of the brand as it's in the trailer right now, but we bought it from Costco last year, I miss the wood camp fire But I like the ability to have a small flame UNDER our awning in the morning having our coffee and it takes 20 seconds to light, It came with a 6 ft hose to a large tank BBQ style fitting, I used it like this for awhile it allows you to move it around the site like under awing if it's raining, to the lake if your backed into a lake side. But then I changed to a 12 or 15 ft hose to a quick connect to the trailer BBQ fitting and now I don't need to lug a extra tank. I also purchased a quick connect Y fitting so I don't need to un plug the BBQ to run the firepit. Oh and I keep the original hose on board ( 1 wrench needed) to convert back if needed to go farther away ( not needed yet)
Modified our COSTCO model with male quick disconnect to enable use on TT low pressure system. Also modified LP cylinder hose with female quick disconnect. No wrenches needed. See Post #60.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #94

I’ve decided that I don’t want to haul a separate tank so will buy an additional hose with quick connects.

So my wife is worried that if we use the onboard propane connection with a 12-15 hose that it will create a trip hazard. Any thoughts. Under the mat, around the mat?
Funengineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #95
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funengineer View Post
I’ve decided that I don’t want to haul a separate tank so will buy an additional hose with quick connects.

So my wife is worried that if we use the onboard propane connection with a 12-15 hose that it will create a trip hazard. Any thoughts. Under the mat, around the mat?
Pick up your feet!

Seriously, 99% of the time we sit next to ours so walking/running near it isn't an issue.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:42 PM   #96
Broken Toe

Well, thanks a lot!

You people caused me to spend my money. Again.

Just ordered a Outland Firebowl 863 from Amazon. Every year, we have all our friends over for Halloween. Women and kids go off trick or treating. The men folk sit around in the driveway where I have a fire-pit going, having a few beverages and giving out candy. Miss Kelly makes a big roaster full of her patented "2-flush Chili" and after the trick-or-treating is done, we have a big ol' chili dinner.

I have a copper-pan fire-pit that only gets used once a year, for that one night. It's a total PITA to lay in a supply of wood just for the night (usually gas-station wood for way too much $$$), getting it lit and going, and most importantly, getting it put out when it time to go inside. I usually drench it with a hose, but that still makes a huge mess in the driveway/yard, and I usually have a bunch of half-burned logs to get rid of.

Then I saw this thread. And I though... Man, one of these propane fireplaces seems like the PERFECT thing for me. And they are cheap enough. This one costed me about $135. Even using it one night a year, it would be worth it, but I could see taking on just about every camping trip in cooler weather.

I gotta stop reading this forum before you guys break me.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
Well, thanks a lot!

You people caused me to spend my money. Again.

Just ordered a Outland Firebowl 863 from Amazon. Every year, we have all our friends over for Halloween. Women and kids go off trick or treating. The men folk sit around in the driveway where I have a fire-pit going, having a few beverages and giving out candy. Miss Kelly makes a big roaster full of her patented "2-flush Chili" and after the trick-or-treating is done, we have a big ol' chili dinner.

I have a copper-pan fire-pit that only gets used once a year, for that one night. It's a total PITA to lay in a supply of wood just for the night (usually gas-station wood for way too much $$$), getting it lit and going, and most importantly, getting it put out when it time to go inside. I usually drench it with a hose, but that still makes a huge mess in the driveway/yard, and I usually have a bunch of half-burned logs to get rid of.

Then I saw this thread. And I though... Man, one of these propane fireplaces seems like the PERFECT thing for me. And they are cheap enough. This one costed me about $135. Even using it one night a year, it would be worth it, but I could see taking on just about every camping trip in cooler weather.

I gotta stop reading this forum before you guys break me.

Tim

I feel your pain. I purchased one as well.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmarako View Post
Ever since I was in scouts many many years ago I've always been a believer in camping = nice fire. Though this seems like in may be something to consider down the road. Now a days when its time to build a fire while camping/cooking/fireplace/etc the conversation seems to go like this:

Wife: Its a nice night for a fire.
Me: OK.
Wife: just don't make it to big like you always do.
Me: Ok.
Wife: why are you putting so much wood on the fire?
Me: That just the kindling/paper to get it started.
Wife: Why is the fire so large?
Me: Thats just the kindling/paper burning.
Wife: Why are you adding more wood to the fire?
Me: Need something other that paper/kindling to count as a fire.
Every 15 minutes.....
Wife: why are you adding more wood?
Me: to try and keep the fire burning....
After an hour or two.....
Wife: its getting late, but you put too much wood on the fire
Me: (looking at the 1 log barely burning) Don't worry, thats why they invented Coors lite/Budweiser (fire goes out)

At least with a propane fire ring this conversation becomes:
Wife: Its a nice night for a fire.
Me: Propane tank is hooked up, you turn the knob and push the igniter. (continue drinking something other than Coors lite/Budweiser)

Jim M.
🤣 Laughing my @ss off.....

"Funniest & Most Accurate Post Award" goes to Jim M.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:48 PM   #99

We run it between us on top of the matt
Old 10-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #100

We have an 18" Aurora propane fire pit purchased from Ace Hardware online for $79. Got it mostly for when there are fire bans. (which happens often in the summers of Eastern Washington) I got hoses to hook it up to the quick connect on the side of the trailer but find it works better connected to the bottle. Flames don't seem to get as high on the low pressure. (Yes, I removed the regulator when hooked to the quick connect.)
2012 Ford F150 FX4 3.5 EcoBoost
jay2703 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane

« 1924 RV | Windsong »