Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #1

Propane gauge not working

I have a 2012 FR Georgetown 378XL that I bought used 6 months ago. I have been using the coach often, and the propane gauge (on the tank and on the command board) has not moved off the 3/4 - Full mark. A mobile propane truck came through the park a week ago and I figured I would have them top me off. I took 16 gallons... And the gauge really never moved, and has not moved a bit the past week. Has anyone replaced the tank gauge? It appears to be just a plug and play, but I don't know. Not sure what to do with the wires either? Cut and splice? Attached is a picture of the gauge. Thanks in advance... Sorry for the rant, lol.
Pitroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Just as confused as you

One question. Does the LP tank have a round dial type mechanical gauge held on by 4 screws? If they are like the ones on the 500+ gallon tanks for houses and farms the gauge works by a magnet mounted on the float mechanism. Sometimes the bouncing can cause the magnet to fall off. Other times the needle will get stuck, preventing it from moving in conjunction with the float. The next time you have a propane truck fill the tank, ask the guy to change the external dial part. If it don't work then the problem is with the float mechanism inside the tank. To change the float the tank will have to be empty.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #3
Site Team

It's easy to change that gauge out. Just cut and splice the sending unit wires.

Just search for propane or LP tank gauge with sending unit, and you should be able to locate the type you have.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #4

I tried to post a photo... The gauge has 3 plastic clips that hold it in place, and two wires that will go to my command center in the coach. I think I have my answer from another person on the forum, thanks!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #5

Maybe the picture will come through this time, LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	160898  
Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #6

So what are you using the propane for?????
Heat??? IF yes how cold is out side????
Hot water???
Refrigerator???
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:21 AM   #7

It had been a mix of things since I bought it. We dry camped for 5 days, using the propane for the fridge, hot water and cooking. I ran the fridge while on the road bringing the coach home (5 days travel) and then when I brought it back down to FL (another 5 days). I ran the furnace maybe 5 or 6 nights when the temps dropped into the mid 20s. All of this I did without the gauge moving off from an area between 3/4-full. The propane man gave me 16 gallons (I believe it is a 24 gallon tank) and the gauge did not move at all. I can't be sure how much I actually had in the tank when I purchased the RV in May, but the fill up a couple weeks ago was the first propane I put in it. The command center inside always showed 4 lights (full). Thanks!!
Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #8
Site Team

Did you order that gauge?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

I have not ordered the gauge yet. I will probably order once I get back North in March. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2018, 11:01 AM   #10

After tinkering with mine, I went with the mopeka sensor, and gained the ability to see the level using my phone...
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane