Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 07:25 AM   #1

Propane Operation

I may be an idiot but how does the dual propane tank system work? How do I know when one tank is empty and then do I have to do something to switch it over to the second tank?
schaidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #2

There are different systems that can tell you when the propane is running low. There are also different systems that can automatically switch the tank as well.

I think we'd really need to know more about what you have there. Could you pull the cover off and take a photo?
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaidt View Post
I may be an idiot but how does the dual propane tank system work? How do I know when one tank is empty and then do I have to do something to switch it over to the second tank?
Post a picture of change over regulator for more feedback, as there is many different types.

See post #7

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sics-6778.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

Automatic change over valves have been nearly standard even in low end trailers for close to 20 years.

Open both valves and point the valve (mine is shaped like an arrow) to the cylinder you want to be primary. The indicator on the top will show green and the valve will switch to the other cylinder when the primary runs dry and change the indicator to red. The indicator indicates the condition of the selected cylinder and does not influence gas flow from the secondary (assuming there's LP in it and the valve is open).

Switch the valve to the cylinder with gas and take the tank to the refill station.

-- Chuck
Old 06-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #5

My experience is that systems that measure just tell you when you are low (or OUT)

Also the auto switch systems could do their job and then one day .... what do you know... I AM OUT. Both tanks!!!

I want to know when my first is empty and do the switch to the second myself. That way I know I have an empty that needs to be refilled within the next week or so + .

Try to start with two full tanks.
I Open one tank.
Arrow on 2 way valve/tank selector points to open tank.
Indicator shows Green if pressure is in line from that selected tank.
Use Gas!

If tank runs out, you will notice. Either By:
Check light on fridge comes ON
Trying to use gas at stove or furnace and its not there.
Indicator on 2 way tank selector valve turns RED... Indicating empty.
Donts sweat runniing out. Not hurting anything.

When this happpens:

Open other tank.
Trun selector valve pointer to second tank.
Indicator turns Green
You have Gas for the next 5,,6-15 days depending on usage.
Make note to refill tank 1 when convenient.

Gas lasts a long time for us.
We run fridge on gas about 20 hours per day (auto mode)
Only run hot water an hour or two per day.
Usually boondocking but this method works either way. Pretty easy and not really any inconvenience if you run a tank empty.

Some open both tanks and I think it auto changes when one is empty. I want to KNOW when one is empty to plan refill.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaldwin View Post
My experience is that systems that measure just tell you when you are low (or OUT)

Also the auto switch systems could do their job and then one day .... what do you know... I AM OUT. Both tanks!!!

I want to know when my first is empty and do the switch to the second myself. That way I know I have an empty that needs to be refilled within the next week or so + .

Try to start with two full tanks.
I Open one tank.
Arrow on 2 way valve/tank selector points to open tank.
Indicator shows Green if pressure is in line from that selected tank.
Use Gas!

If tank runs out, you will notice. Either By:
Check light on fridge comes ON
Trying to use gas at stove or furnace and not there.
Indicator on 2 way tank selector valve turns RED... Indicating empty.

When this happpens:

Open other tank.
Trun selector valve pointer to second tank.
Indicator turns Green
You have Gas for the next 5,,6-15 days depending on usage.
Make note to refill tank 1 when convenient.

Gas lasts a long time for us.
We run fridge on gas about 20 hours per day (auto mode)
Only run hot water an hour or two per day.
Usually boondocking but this method works either way. Pretty easy and not really any inconvenience if you run a tank empty.

Some open both tanks and I think it auto changes when one is empty. I want to KNOW when one is empty to plan refill.
X2... I use one at a time and switch tanks manually when one goes empty. "I want to KNOW when one is empty to plan refill."

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaidt View Post
This thread may help, as one of the links does explain the propane cylinders automatic changeover regulator (and operation thereof)...if equipped on your RV.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

It also has many other links to more of the common questions that new RV owners may have.

Hope it helps.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
X2... I use one at a time and switch tanks manually when one goes empty. "I want to KNOW when one is empty to plan refill."
That's all good until your heater stops working at 3am
Auto switch over systems have been reliable for a long time. I would use it until it proves it doesn't work, then I would replace it. Auto systems are made to make your life easier, so I take advantage of them.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Same here. I've had both and prefer the manual.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
That's all good until your heater stops working at 3am
Auto switch over systems have been reliable for a long time. I would use it until it proves it doesn't work, then I would replace it. Auto systems are made to make your life easier, so I take advantage of them.
Heater? Whassat?

Yeah... it happened to me once and I switched tanks only to learn my offside regulator was leaking. I had to swap sides with my tanks. In this ONE case, I'm very glad my main regulator did not auto-switch. I don't know how much propane would have escaped and to what end.
BTW (rabbit trail), my XtraRide extended service contract paid another $1820 last week!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

To each his own. Both fine. I'd just rather know when half my propane is gone than Suprise... it is all gone. Such a rare occurrance. Suppose it depends on where you normally are and time of year. In SE, I can probably count the # of times on one that I have used my heater at night. On no hands the # of times I have run out and needed to go out and switch tanks at night.

I also normally carry a 3rd tank for cooker, grill, .... so do have an emergency supply of PP.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Everyone has THEIR way and mine is to NOT run out of propane at the most inopportune time just because I didn't want to turn on another tank and let the auto-switch over regulator do what it was made to do.

I use the indicator for its intention and that is to tell you when one tank is empty and not to find out by running the refrigerator out of propane at 1:00 AM.

I look at my indicator regularly and when it turns red I know I need to get a tank filled. It tells you when you are halfway through your propane supply!

It is really that simple.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Heater? Whassat?
[emoji16]
BTW (rabbit trail), my XtraRide extended service contract paid another $1820 last week!
Congrats! XtraRide has always impressed me. One of the few extended warranties that is actually worth the $$$$
...end of rabbit hole trail ...
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane