Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #1

Proper braking for animals.

I been on here a short time and have read a few of the threads, such as how fast do you tow.
I know that professional drivers know this answer, but do the weekend camps know it.
What do you do when a large animal such as elk, deer, moose, bear, hog (not the bikers) runs/walks into your path while towing your vehicle on a highway?
"Hint" I have a Ranch Hand on my truck (not the farm worker).
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

Start to slow down and brace for impact! When it's your safty, go with controlled stopping, taking care not to jackknife for the sake of you and your loved ones.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

I am not going to swerve to miss a animal, I will move over if I can but that's what insurance is for. I'm not going to put my life and others that are ridding with me in danger

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #4

A couple of good answers but not for an adult moose. There isn't any good ones, as a moose is coming through the wind shield unless you are an 18 wheeler. Think I am going to try to move over & hope for a glancing hit.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:54 PM   #5

We have kids onboard, so.... I slow down as much as is safely possible & flash the lights/honk the horn if there is any time to react... Although I don't want my kids to witness a gruesome animal strike, I won't do anything to jeopardize our safety. So this typically means staying in our lane, bracing for impact, and hoping Bambi has enough sense to keep bouncing across my path vs. stopping...

But my experience is that deer, etc. come out of no-where & they are past me in a flash. So far just near misses, but in most cases there was not enough time to react... I used to have those deer warning whistles on all of my vehicles but I'm not convinced animals hear them in time to react... Or, they might hear them & react by jumping in front of me... There is no telling what a spooked animal will do...

Currently I just have a stock Ram without chrome, etc. so once my TV is paid-off I plan to add a Ranch Hand push bar, etc. to the front & HD bumper to the rear. I do know that I feel a LOT safer up high in my 3/4 Ram vs. my former Honda Accord...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by szabla View Post
I been on here a short time and have read a few of the threads, such as how fast do you tow.
I know that professional drivers know this answer, but do the weekend camps know it.
What do you do when a large animal such as elk, deer, moose, bear, hog (not the bikers) runs/walks into your path while towing your vehicle on a highway?
"Hint" I have a Ranch Hand on my truck (not the farm worker).
That's about the best you can do. Like others have said, you can't swerve to avoid them, and you can't slam on your brakes. The only thing better than a run-of-the-mill brush guard is the ones that are integrated into the bumper, a la Ranch Hand. That's the kind I wanted, but my wife said they are too ugly. They do turn your truck into a beastly looking thing though; I like them. Is your Ranch Hand that kind or is it the bolt-on kind?
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Is your Ranch Hand that kind or is it the bolt-on kind?
I have the bolt on kind of Ranch hand, it is strong enough to keep the radiator safe but the head lights, hood will most likely be destroyed by larger animals.
I see that every answer here is by people with experience.
Quote:
A couple of good answers but not for an adult moose.
I completely agree.
In Colorado they have been putting Moose in places they never were before , such as the Grand Mesa. They are a little smaller than Northern Moose but they will still do the same damage. Grand Mesa is deer and elk ally already. Here in winter elk herds will lay down on the Highways.
Be safe all they are migrating at this time of year.
szabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #8

I use what they teach new motorcyclists, if you can eat it in one sitting, run over it. Otherwise, try to miss it.

If I have time to safely react then I'll try to swerve and hit it with the front corner. The truck is still damaged, but hopefully the animal won't take out my intercooler/radiator at best, end up in my lap at worst.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #9

I had a deer strike on the interstate...

Just after noon on a sunny day (when you'd least expect it) in early May, a pair of deer came bounding out of the median (north and south lanes were separated by about 100' of grass and trees). I saw the leader and slowed down so he just cleared in time. However, the follower got in between the truck and TT and there was the most gawd-awful display of carnage you've ever seen with bits and pieces of deer flying everywhere and a pretty disgusting mixture sprayed all down the side of the camper. Didn't look too bad, mostly a cargo door, but the frame had gotten bent (lot of momentum in even a small deer at 65mph). Insurance totaled it and I ended up getting $1000 more than the trade that was to happen the next week.

Moral of the story: unless its so tall its going to come over the hood into your lap, no animal is worth a potential swerve-off-the-road wreck. That's what insurance is for (as has been said).

Being a long time motorcyclist, I'm always scanning ahead for things that can kill me - especially trying to identify the worst bone-head move some cage driver might (and probably will) make. A good portion of my attention is always off to the sides of the road, especially at night when I use my brights whenever possible in wildlife areas to try to see reflections of beady little eyes just about to run out in front of me.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #10

Critters on the highway

After 30 years on a PD in Western New York and many deer hits...... I now have Deer whistles on all our vehicles. Not foolproof but they help.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:20 PM   #11

During the rut they dont hear anything. Also I have found the deer whistles are ineffective when they are clogged with deer fur.
mbuk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #12

A couple of afterthoughts. IMHO two 500 candlepower will server you better than whistles. And FYI - It is illegal in WI to have more than 4 white lights on the front of your vehicle.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Being a long time motorcyclist, I'm always scanning ahead for things that can kill me - especially trying to identify the worst bone-head move some cage driver might (and probably will) make. A good portion of my attention is always off to the sides of the road, especially at night when I use my brights whenever possible in wildlife areas to try to see reflections of beady little eyes just about to run out in front of me.
I learned this in the motorcycle safety course and have applied it to driving anything. I wish more people would learn it. The thing about beady little eyes is that if they are in the middle of the road, they stay there because they are blinded by the light (not the song either). After swerving for a little bird once, I don't swerve for much any more. My husband ripped me a new one for that move.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #14
Gold Miner At Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.tucson View Post
After 30 years on a PD in Western New York and many deer hits...... I now have Deer whistles on all our vehicles. Not foolproof but they help.

I've always wondered. How do you know they really work when you can't hear them?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #15

Elephant whistles

I got an 8 pointer with my whistles a few years back. I know they work for elephants since I have seen none with them installed.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:26 PM   #16

As a motorcyclist myself, I know you should watch out for cows too. Herds tend to drag lots of rocks onto the road since they don't lift their hooves. Like little ball bearings.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuk2 View Post
I got an 8 pointer with my whistles a few years back. I know they work for elephants since I have seen none with them installed.
I have had the same luck with whales here, can not say the same for deer or antelope, jack rabbits, skunks, whistle pigs, I stopped replacing them when they fell off.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #18

Deer whistles

I know they are not fool proof but the number of deer hit went down after they went on all the cars. And as to not hearing them I would notice deer off in the fields turn and look as I would approach like never before. Plus you can pick them up at most Walmarts for under $10 pretty cheap insurance for any help rendered.
john.tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:34 PM   #19

Interesting. Where did you find that data?
Old 04-10-2016, 03:50 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.tucson View Post
I know they are not fool proof but the number of deer hit went down after they went on all the cars. And as to not hearing them I would notice deer off in the fields turn and look as I would approach like never before. Plus you can pick them up at most Walmarts for under $10 pretty cheap insurance for any help rendered.
I have seen the same thing. Many local Sheriff's cars have them and the deer car accident went down. Over the last 20 years more people started using them and I wonder if the effectiveness has gone down because they are used to hearing them now. I still would not be without them.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote