Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Pulling Fifth Wheel with F250 6.2

Just got back from a 1,400 mile round trip from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach pulling a ~11,000 lb. Fifth wheel via I-40 with a 2012 6.2 gasser. Computer had me exactly at 8.0 mpg for the whole trip, which is a little better than I thought, was expecting more around 7.5 with all the hills. Hit 3 traffic jams which didn't help numbers either. Anyways for anyone considering the 6.2 that doesn't want a diesel, no the mpg's are not great but let's be honest no one gets in this business for the gas mileage and if you can't afford the gas probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place lol. Pulled the hills just fine no problems keeping 60-65 mph, dropped down to 2nd and 5500-6000 rpm's a lot through the mountain's but that's where the power is, pretty much kept cruise on the whole way. Overall very happy with how it pulled, it was the 3rd time I towed the fifth wheel and longest trip by about 1,000 miles. I previously had a tt and the towing difference in my opinion from a stability standpoint is night and day, I know many people have no issues with a tt so not starting that argument lol. Anyways just thought I'd share my experience towing a long distance with the 6.2 for anyone who is considering a SD but doesn't want a diesel.
rather_b_camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Thanks for that report. I switched from a diesel 3/4 ton to gasser. Since it's newer I gained some towing capacity and a lot of payload capacity.

You're report makes me feel better about the decision.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rather_b_camping View Post
Pulled the hills just fine no problems keeping 60-65 mph, dropped down to 2nd and 5500-6000 rpm's

Dang, that's wound up tighter than Dick's hat band. Isn't 6 KRPM redline?

2017 Cedar Creek Silverback 37MBH
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L, DRW, 4.10 Rear end
BGKirkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGKirkham View Post
Dang, that's wound up tighter than Dick's hat band. Isn't 6 KRPM redline?
Yeah 6000-6500 is red line, probably got up to 5800, but from everything I hear about the engine it likes to rev pretty high.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Yeah 6000-6500 is red line, probably got up to 5800, but from everything I hear about the engine it likes to rev pretty high.
I have been running mine for a year now and I have found that getting my foot out it will let it go up a gear. So that is what I have been doing. Have you experienced that?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
I have been running mine for a year now and I have found that getting my foot out it will let it go up a gear. So that is what I have been doing. Have you experienced that?
I set the cruise control to 65 and let it do all the shifting on its own for the most part, occasionally I would lay into the gas at the bottom of a hill to get a head start because by the time cruise control reacted I had already started to lose momentum going up
Old 07-22-2017, 10:15 PM   #7

You triied experimenting with being in or out of tow haul mode?

Finding the power band was a challenge for me. I watch the RPMs so much that I do not often use cruise control. On the flats yes, in the hills no.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobbles View Post
You triied experimenting with being in or out of tow haul mode?

Finding the power band was a challenge for me. I watch the RPMs so much that I do not often use cruise control. On the flats yes, in the hills no.
Used tow/haul the entire way, figured that's what it was meant for and would give most power when I needed it, mpg might have been a little better had I not used cruise so much because it probably wouldn't have dropped into 2nd as often trying to catch up on hills
Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #9

Sounds like you need to go camping again and pass through some hilly country. I suggest you go ASAP!

It's all about finding the sweet spot. Personally when not towing I think the truck drops down the gears to quickly when I need to mash the pedal to merge into traffic from an on-ramp.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #10

Quote:
That's so you can get maximum altitude out of the pistons when they come screaming out of the heads.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Just got back from a 1,400 mile round trip from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach pulling a ~11,000 lb. Fifth wheel via I-40 with a 2012 6.2 gasser. Computer had me exactly at 8.0 mpg for the whole trip, which is a little better than I thought, was expecting more around 7.5 with all the hills. Hit 3 traffic jams which didn't help numbers either. Anyways for anyone considering the 6.2 that doesn't want a diesel, no the mpg's are not great but let's be honest no one gets in this business for the gas mileage and if you can't afford the gas probably shouldn't be doing it in the first place lol. Pulled the hills just fine no problems keeping 60-65 mph, dropped down to 2nd and 5500-6000 rpm's a lot through the mountain's but that's where the power is, pretty much kept cruise on the whole way. Overall very happy with how it pulled, it was the 3rd time I towed the fifth wheel and longest trip by about 1,000 miles. I previously had a tt and the towing difference in my opinion from a stability standpoint is night and day, I know many people have no issues with a tt so not starting that argument lol. Anyways just thought I'd share my experience towing a long distance with the 6.2 for anyone who is considering a SD but doesn't want a diesel.
Sure you meant...I-75, 40, 26, 95
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Sure you meant...I-75, 40, 26, 95
Correct
Old 07-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #13
Canadian Member

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear you had a good trip and that the 6.2L did fine. If I ever moved to a 5er it would something like the Rockwood Signature 8289WS. People regularly tow it with a half ton so my SD gasser should have plenty of power and payload for that size.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:07 AM   #14
Insert witty title here

Pulling Fifth Wheel with F250 6.2

One major headache of a gas truck is refueling. Finding stations that are large enough and laid out properly to navigate through with a camper into is a royal PITA. Diesels can fuel up at the same pumps that the big rigs use.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Have 5th and towing w/ F250 6.2 gasser. Everything mentioned is what we are experiencing. As for dropping down on the shifts Hubby just has to remember to ease up on gas pedal. We don't use cruise control at all. The down shifting is why. For getting gas, yeah that part is a PITA. One time we had to circle around 3x till we could get to an outside pump.
Dorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #16

Pulled our 32' Rockwood 5er with my 6.2 gas 250 and was happy. It definitely wound up tight in the mountains or big bridges but can't complain. I had to get rid of he 1/2 ton as it was rated max, but not a comfortable pull on flat lands, never tried it on the hills.
We just traded 250 for a 350 6.7 diesel. Traded Rockwood for a 16,000 Columbus 377mb. I really love the diesel. I fought it, but had to make the switch with the heaver 5th wl. Have been impressed at how seldom it gears down. It just maintains speed and rides smooth. Plan to cross the smokies for Thanksgiving and try the hills. Have pulled many tt, but feal so much more comfortable with the 5er.
RPCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #17
larryandamy

I don't want to get into the gasser vs diesel thing, but I have a question. How is the engine braking when going down steep grades? I have been a gasser my whole life, but I alway envied the diesel's going down steep grades not even touching their brake pedal when i am behind them pumping my brakes and worrying about my truck/trailer brakes overheating... I finally switched to diesel and I do love not worrying about my brakes overheating as the diesel 17:1 engine compression ratio does all the braking I need. I use tow/haul and hardly ever have to touch the brake pedal. This is why I switched to diesel and I love it.
Thanks for sharing this info.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #18

I don't want to start a gasser vs. diesel war of words here, but I noticed those in this string who list their travel and home states seem to be primarily in the eastern part of the US. I wouldn't want to be behind that rig going through the Rockies.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
I don't want to start a gasser vs. diesel war of words here, but I noticed those in this string who list their travel and home states seem to be primarily in the eastern part of the US. I wouldn't want to be behind that rig going through the Rockies.
I have run that route several times ~~ more than I care to count~ from Ocean Isle to Akron OH. Not much on there I'd call more than a hill. He will do fine on routes like that. Now east ~~ the NC/VA line has 7 miles of about 7% one with that rig may be looking to trade. Gassers are fine if held to their capabilities. If I were towing under 10,000 only in the east I'd have one.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryandamy View Post
I don't want to get into the gasser vs diesel thing, but I have a question. How is the engine braking when going down steep grades? I have been a gasser my whole life, but I alway envied the diesel's going down steep grades not even touching their brake pedal when i am behind them pumping my brakes and worrying about my truck/trailer brakes overheating... I finally switched to diesel and I do love not worrying about my brakes overheating as the diesel 17:1 engine compression ratio does all the braking I need. I use tow/haul and hardly ever have to touch the brake pedal. This is why I switched to diesel and I love it.
Thanks for sharing this info.
I was actually pretty amazed at how infrequently I had to hit the brake pedal with the engine braking. I'm sure it's not as powerful as an exhaust brake but I didn't even have to touch the brake pedal going down a lot of the grades but if I felt my speed was getting a little too fast for comfort on the steeper ones all I had to do was tap the brake pedal and it would automatically downshift.

Tags
f250, fifth wheel, wheel