Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #1

Purchased Greenball Towmaster's, but didn't realize they were chinese

On my 8313, Had a hi-run 205/75/15 start to bubble on me (came on my camper when I bought it), also replacing a carlisle. Have 2 denman expresses that look good already on.

Did a decent amount of research, lot of people recommended the Greenball Towmaster, so I ordered them and mounted 2 of them.
TowMaster Radial Trailer Tire

I just realized that people had good reviews of the ones not made in China, and mine are made in China.

Anyone had good or bad experience with the ones made in China?
davidl340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #2

I've got the chiner ones on mine and no complaints in the 4 and a half years and 10k plus miles.
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #3

Towmasters came on my 2010 from the factory. I don't know where they were made, but my guess, as Van Morrison would say, is Chinee. No problems, but we've only been running them for 10 months.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:21 PM   #4

Correction: Mine are Tow Max. Still probably made in Chinee.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #5

I did some more checking around, haven't found any 'bad' reports yet. Called the place I bought them, they say they haven't had any major issues (then again, he said carlisle was not bad either).

I decided between:

taking the 2 putting them on ebay (never rolled down the road) and getting some maxxis load rated D or USA made goodyear marathons

or

Just keeping them and cross my fingers, have to better than the Hi-runs and Carlisle they replaced.

Wish I could find a Denman express to match what I already have, but they filed for bankruptcy.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #6

Had Carlisle tires on the last few trailers I've owned (3 travel trailers, 3 utility trailers). I still own 4 trailers. No problems so far. Maintaining the proper tire pressure and tow speeds are the key to trailer tire life.
Remember, ST trailer tire have a life span of 3 to 4 years, tops. If they last that long, it's time to replace them.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #7

David: I used to post on the CasitaClub site, and lots of folks there reported major issues with the Goodyear Marathon 14-inch C-rated tires. I think some of that may have been that those tires were running not too far from maximum weight on the single-axle Casita. I don't believe the 15-inch Marathons have had many reported problems and the Casita company has begun offering them as an option (14-inch was the only choice until a couple years ago). I'm just saying that anyone considering the 14-inch Marathons might want to do some research. A lot of use with Casitas went to the D-rated Kumho 14-inch tires, and everyone seemed to like them.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #8

Politics aside, Greenballs are great towing tires. I have a set with a bit of age and have been cross country. I think they run better and are just a nicer tire than the two sets of goodyears I had used on another trailer. I plan to buy another set when these are done.
2006 Sierra F28 Rear Kitchen 5th Wheel, 31' = 10k pounds.
Nights camped in 09-14, 2010-23
Mr. Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 AM   #9

guess I getting old or have OCD, didn't feel like worrying about it, so I ordered a couple Maxxis and put the greenball on the spare, and sent the one I didn't mount back.

Just drove 400 miles over the last week and the Maxxis and Denman Express seem to do good.

I'd bet the greenball's would have been fine too, but my 8313 totally maxes out these tires! with 6 people in my truck (1 toddler and 2 infants), I had enough to worry about.