Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #1

Quality of Sunset Park RVs?

Thinking of trading my Wolf Pup for a Sun Lite 21TH. (Sorry, FR owners, but it looks like this will meet my needs better than the Pup [especially the 2nd axle] and any other FR toy hauler I've looked at.)

Anyone in these parts ever had a Sunset Park RV, or are otherwise familiar with them, and can testify about overall quality, good or bad?

Thanks!
2006 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing (the reason for the toy hauler)
Jimbo K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Team

I've been on various RV forums for 20 years and have never heard of this company, never seen any of their products and never have seen any owners of one.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:57 PM   #3

Hadn't heard of them either. Now I don't feel so bad.

In trying to piece together what info I can via Google, it looks like they're a small company in Indiana (an RV mfr. in IN - imagine that!). Per BBB, in business for 14 years, A+ rating, only one complaint (with a reasonable response from the company) from 2021, but only one (poor) review. What few reviews that speak to quality that I can find on other sites are mixed -- kinda like FR!

A plus is that the dealer I'd be buying from is small, independent, family-owned, with a good reputation. That implies to me they wouldn't be selling junk.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:28 PM   #4

Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I've been on various RV forums for 20 years and have never heard of this company, never seen any of their products and never have seen any owners of one.
Just visited the website. It appears to be the classic sticks/tin construction of our 2008 AND our 2002. No exotic fiberglass sides or styrofoam roof support. Only new material is the PVC roof membrane and powder-coated frame. Here's a paste from the website:
Construction Standards

Wood Studs built 16” On Center

5/8” One-piece Floor decking

3/8” Roof decking – FULLY WALKABLE

.024” Aluminum Siding

One-piece PVC Roof Membrane

Residential Insulated Walls, Front & End

Diamond Plate Rock Guard

Powder-Coated Steel Chassis

Front & Rear Stabilizer Jacks

Radial Tires

Spring-Leaf Dexter Axles

Spare Tire with Carrier

100W Solar Kit Installed w/ Controller

Battery Disconnect

Aluminum Rims (Std. Tires)

Nothing new in the appliances either;

Comfort Standards

A/C & Furnace

6 Gallon DSI Gas Water Heater

2 Burner Stove Top Range Hood with Light & Fan

Stove & Sink Cover

Refrigerator

Microwave

Tinted Safety Glass Windows w/ Nightshades

Quick Connect Gas Line

Outside Shower

Fire Extinguisher

Smoke Detector

Carbon Monoxide Detector

2 – 20 pound LP tanks

Backup Camera Prep

Power Vent in the Bathroom

Or here:
Entertainment Standards

Inside/Outside Speakers

Bluetooth Radio

Cable/Satellite Hook Up

USB Ports

Backers for TV mount

LED Lights

Power Awning

Wineguard HDTV Antenna
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:43 PM   #5
Site Team

Yep, small entry-level stick and tin trailers. Only a 100w solar system.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo K. View Post
In trying to piece together what info I can via Google, it looks like they're a small company in Indiana (an RV mfr. in IN - imagine that!). Per BBB, in business for 14 years, A+ rating, only one complaint (with a reasonable response from the company) from 2021, but only one (poor) review. What few reviews that speak to quality that I can find on other sites are mixed -- kinda like FR!

A plus is that the dealer I'd be buying from is small, independent, family-owned, with a good reputation. That implies to me they wouldn't be selling junk.
Hadn't heard of them either.
I do like the tandem axels, but wouldn't like having to take out the 'toy' to put the bed down and I really like a fiberglass exterior.

The dealer makes a huge difference when it comes to honoring a warranty for a rig. It doesn't mean that they have any quality control in the construction of a trailer. According to their website, Sunset warranty claims are processed through the dealer. Since it's a small company, you're probably not going to find a lot of reviews.

We're all owners and don't have any input to FR decisions on models or pricing. Some members own SOB (some other brand) rigs and all are welcome to join the forum and contribute or just browse.

So if you buy that rig, please let us know how it works out.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:50 AM   #7

Thanks to all for your feedback! Upon further review ....

I've decided against it for a number of reasons, including $$ and the hassle of swapping. Maybe the biggest dealbreaker is that there is no outside storage compartment.

Then there's the "can't sleep with the bike inside" issue that Snowbird mentions. That's not an issue at any ultimate destination but it will be on multi-day trips to and fro. One of my hopes when I bought the Pup was (and still is, depending on gas prices) to make it to some of the big bike rallies (e.g., Sturgis or Americade). I'm certainly not offloading the bike in a Walmart lot on the way!

Sleeping arrangements in general are an issue too. I have a folding cot for the occasional second camping companion. The Wolf Pup has enough floor space for that. The Sun Lite doesn't when the bed and futon-like thing are deployed.

Tags
quality