Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #1

Question about having your propane filled?

Yesterday I took the Motorhome to have the propane tank topped off. Usually I am there to watch it being done. But this time I was grabbing a few things we needed and in the mean time they sent somebody out to fill it. I have never seen this particular person working there before. I do not beleive they closed the valve or opened the release valve.

My question is, are there any possible problems or concerns I should have about the tank being filled this way? Were does all the pressure go when its full without the release valve being open? Or am I just getting worked up over nothing?

Thanks
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #2

i'm not going to have a very good answer.
the pressure goes with the condensing of the propane.
if u have the weight, it should be ok. the tank should have a level switch inside to prevent over filling. i believe they useto vent 1. to get any air out at first 2. to check for liquid.

the propane will evaporate and build pressure until the boiling point pressure is reached. if u pump propane into it, any pressure build will cause the vapor to condense.

i wouldn't be concerned as long as u have the correct weight after they finish.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #3

It's all self contained so I really can't weight it when they are done.

Thanks for your response! In all my years of camping I have never not been there when it's filled. I was just concerned if the pressure would end up going out an orfice on the stove, water heater, oven or fridge and ruin something.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

the only concern would be if the tank had air in it. they can put a little propane in it and vent. the propane is heavier. (real world, the velocity will mix it for a few minutes). (after they make the hose to tank connection, they should let a little propane go thru the connection to atmosphere before they tighten their hose to the tank just to get any air out from the connection area).
there is a relief on the tank if there is a pressure problem. on one that has been filled before and hasn't been left open, very low chance of anything but propane being in there.
when u start using it, if there is any air, it will be the first thing out.
shouldn't be any concerns abt any gas using appliances.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Thanks for your help, everything seemed fine. I was a little concerned because when my fiance had entered the motorhome the following day she thought it had a slight propane smell inside. What I think she may have smelled was from me using the stove to get the air out of the line.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Site Team

Propane has a certain vapor pressure depending on temperature, so until there is no vapor space left in the tank the pressure will remain the same no matter how much liquid is in the tank. If they added liquid to it the vapor would recondense as Jim said as it got above vapor pressure. If they added the liquid by volume (which since they can't weigh those cylinders is the only way to do it) whatever you paid for is what you got.

If you think about it, they never vent a residential or commercial tank when they're filling it.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Just got mine filled this past Saturday. I closed the valve on the tank and turn off the leak detector which closes the solenoid valve prior to the regulator before I ever got there. Once they hooked up and open the valve on the hose he opened the small vent on the tank. The tank will fill with liquid until it reached the open vent. Once liquid sprays it's full, he closed the vent and turn the hose off. The gauge will read 3/4 full which allows for expansion without causing any problems. As stated you pay for the amount of fluid pumped into the tank.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote