Old 12-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #21

A lot of good info here, Thanks!
Tony & Catnis, campin' kitties
Bobaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Hey Bob.. If the grease washes off, it's not good grease. Good grease don't come off your hands easily and out of clothes (if you are messy, never).

My hint for the day is keep your Lisle bearing packer in a Hills Brothers empty coffee can. The plastic lid keeps it clean and the coffee can contains it.

That way, all that grease that sets between the 2 sides of the packer stays nice, ready for the next packing job,
Bob will Only use "Folgers"! Youroo!! Regardless how you perform this operation be aware of the "Sharp Corner" the seal must go over on the axle stub where the "Rear bearing locates"! Cut a seal like a knife! Youroo!!
Old 12-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #23
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Steady hands.....lol
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniceptor86 View Post
Practice on the utility trailer is good! When you practice, practice this: wedge a cold chisel between the hub and the raised lip of the cap and tap it with a hammer to loosen the cap. Straighten the cotter key and remove with diagonal cutter by placing the tip of the cutter on the washer if possible or hub gripping the head of the cotter key and lifting, pulling the cotter key out. Remove the nut, washer and outer tapered roller bearing. Replace the nut on the spindle and carefully pull the wheel and hub or just the hub if you have already removed the wheel ( which is a good idea for anything bigger that 12 or 13" wheels) out letting it slide along the top of the spindle until it stops. The nut should now be in contact with the inner tapered roller bearing. Push the hub back on the spindle an inch or three and pull out with a little force, rotate the hub and try again. With a few pulls on the hub the tapered roller bearing and seal will come out of the hub and be found dangling on the spindle.
By using this method you can re-use the same seals multiple times. You do not need to destroy them when removing them. I do this all the time on my boat trailer. It would work the same on a travel trailer hub.

Again, remove nut, washer and outer bearing, screw nut back on spindle. Pull hub outward till nut contacts inner bearing, push it back in a couple inches and then yank hub back outward. Seal will come out of hub and be re-usable. It may take a couple sharp yanks to knock it out. Great advice!
Togger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Togger View Post
By using this method you can re-use the same seals multiple times. You do not need to destroy them when removing them. I do this all the time on my boat trailer. It would work the same on a travel trailer hub.

Again, remove nut, washer and outer bearing, screw nut back on spindle. Pull hub outward till nut contacts inner bearing, push it back in a couple inches and then yank hub back outward. Seal will come out of hub and be re-usable. It may take a couple sharp yanks to knock it out. Great advice!
I like the method of removing the inner bearing and seal. I am not crazy about re-using the inner seal. I have NEVER re-used a seal. Seals are cheap! Why take a chance on having it leak and ruining your brake shoes? For the cost of the seal, I MUCH prefer the peace of mind.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #26

Go to the Dextor site, there are great videos there on repacking bearings.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
denville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:56 AM   #27
Left Coast

Hub dust caps are also cheap...
Old 12-07-2016, 10:57 PM   #28

(I hope--definitely a different dealer) I carry an IR thermometer and check the wheel temps whenever I stop.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on the ir temp gun. Had two bearings let go on the road before I learner. Shoot the temp at every fuel stop. Carry spare bearing and seal set as well as a can of grease. Heavy duty medical gloves and the required tool.

It has never happened again since I got myself prepared. Yeah.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
(I hope--definitely a different dealer) I carry an IR thermometer and check the wheel temps whenever I stop.
Ditto on the ir temp gun. Had two bearings let go on the road before I learner. Shoot the temp at every fuel stop. Carry spare bearing and seal set as well as a can of grease. Heavy duty medical gloves and the required tool.

It has never happened again since I got myself prepared. Yeah.[/QUOTE]

ALL THE ABOVE!!!!!!! I agree
nibroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett717 View Post
This is probably a n obvious question to many of you. If I decide to pack my own wheel bearings, how do I figure out which size/type of new seals I need? I assume they come in different sizes, etc.

Thanks
I think some folks got off on the trail here.

What I did the first time I did these bearings is pry the seal out without distorting it too much. Took it to an industrial parts house(or an auto parts place) and they can either get the numbers off the seal or they can measure it. Each seal comes in it's own box with the part number. I always buy 5 seals(for 4 wheels + a spare) each time. I keep a box so next time I go, I'll have the number of the seal readily available.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #31
Traveling Two

Does anyone know why we don't have oil bath bearings on our trailers. My boat weighed close to my trailer and it had oil bath bearings. Anyone every convert?
jerryliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Steady hands.....lol
Yes, save the hot toddy's for later.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
Does anyone know why we don't have oil bath bearings on our trailers. My boat weighed close to my trailer and it had oil bath bearings. Anyone every convert?
Cost and not really needed. Your boat trailer hubs are submerged in water and the oil bath hubs have better seals that keep the oil in and the water out.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
IR thermometer is a bit excessive don't you think? Just place your hand on the hub to gauge the temperature... If it's warm, it's good. Hot, not good. I've never seen a 'dried out' grease packed wheel bearing and I'm 66.

I've seen dry oil filled ones but then the leaking seal is obvious.
I use an IR thermometer.....I learned the hard way pulling a jet ski trailer years ago a hot hub and your skin dont mix. Also it's a good way to see how close the various temps are so you can pinpoint an issue before it gets out of hand. Also very cool to play with around the campfire at night
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #35
Left Coast

Cat like to chase the red spot......lol
Old 12-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Cat like to chase the red spot......lol
That is right. Also like the laser on my 45 auto....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryliving View Post
Just cost. You can convet them for a price.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bearings