Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #1

Question about pump

I have a Rockwood Ultralite and am in the process of winterizing. I don't have the bypass valve so put antifreeze in through the fresh water tank. Now when I start my pump to push it through the lines, the pump runs, but is creating no pressure. I took the hoses off the pump just to see and there is hardly any suction at all. Seems to me the pump is toast. Anybody got any other suggestions before I get it repaired?
dlcjarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Was your FW tank empty when you put in the antifreeze and how much antifreeze did you use? The pump might just be sucking air, depending on your feed hose location on the side of the FW tank.

Just a thought.

Your pump could also be bad, as you guessed. Not sure how old your trailer is. Good to list what you have within your post.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

Sorry, the trailer is a 2011, this was our first season with it.

I put in nearly 4 gallons or 15 liters. The tank was empty.

Oh I should mention, my stepdad the poor buggar tried to siphon on the hose coming from the tank, and he got a mouth full of antifreeze , which makes us think it is the pump itself.
dlcjarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #4

You probably need more than 4 gallons. I have been meaning to put a bypass on my pump and never seem to get around to doing it so I put my antifreeze into the fresh water tank too. Because the tank is so long and flat and the discharge hose is on the side of it I have to put 8 gallons in mine or the pump just sucks air. When I am done I drain the remaining antifreeze back into the jugs using the fresh water tank drain and a funnel to use again next year. Also, make sure you have the water heater bypass valves set so you aren't pumping 6 gallons of antifreeze into it!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You need to put a winterizing kit on there so you don't have to dump antifreeze in your fw tank.
I've seen up to 11 gallons put in fresh tank to do whole camper right.
if you put on a winterize kit you use about 3
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #6

Can't find access to water pump.

We bought a used 1999 Forrest River Spinnaker. No manuals came with it. We cannot find where to access the water pump. We are trying to get it winterized before it freezes.
grandma brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcjarrett View Post
Sorry, the trailer is a 2011, this was our first season with it.

I put in nearly 4 gallons or 15 liters. The tank was empty.

Oh I should mention, my stepdad the poor buggar tried to siphon on the hose coming from the tank, and he got a mouth full of antifreeze , which makes us think it is the pump itself.
Good thing for your stepdad that the antifreeze is potable . But, I'm sure its not nice.

I agree with the previous posters that you should just get a bypass kit. I would start over with that because you are going to go through a lot of antifreeze the other way. Amazon can get you one in two days. And, check the FAQ section of the forum for a good thread on winterizing.

But, if you want to try it this way, there's a bunch of things that might be going wrong here. I'm just going to list them as they come to mind:

• Not enough antifreeze in the FW tank to pressurize the system. I don't think four gallons is enough.
  • In-line water filter between the FW and the pump is clogged.
  • Loose connection or kinked or cracked water line leading to the pump from the FW tank that is causing the pump to suck air.
  • Need to re-establish suction in the water line to the pump. Try filling up the water line on the suction side of the pump with antifreeze and then reattach it to the pump. Bypass the water heater, open the closest faucet, run the pump again and give it a minute or two for antifreeze to start coming out of the faucet.
  • Test the pump. With the pump running, loosen the water line on the pressure-side of the pump (have a bucket and towels handy) and it will be apparent very quickly whether the pump has pressure and is working. If liquid only trickles out when you are removing the line than the pump needs to be repaired or replaced.
  • If pressure is good, and you still are not getting anything at the faucets, then the problem is between the pump and the faucets.
Good luck!

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma brenda View Post
We bought a used 1999 Forrest River Spinnaker. No manuals came with it. We cannot find where to access the water pump. We are trying to get it winterized before it freezes.
Hi Grandma

You may want to post in a new thread so more people will read your question. Is your trailer a 5W? If so, then maybe posting in that area will get you more details.

To answer you directly, most manuals are fairly generic. You might try reaching Forest River at (574) 642-2640 and ask for the Parts Department.

I'm not sure about a 5W, but on mine where the bottom of the trailer is open, I can look under the trailer for my FW tank to find the line that carries water to the pump. That will point to the general vicinity of the pump. Go back inside to that vicinity and see if you can locate a cupboard. The pump might be behind a false panel that you need to unscrew to access it.

Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 10-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #9

Our fw tank will not pump out the last 5 gallons of water in it. So in turn it would take more than 5 gallons to get it to pump.
murrayflagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

My 99 Terry had a valve and place to attach a hose to the inlet of the pump, then suck the anti-freeze directly out of the bottle. Since it was a smaller 5th wheel, usually took about a gallon and a half to do the whole trailer. New Flagstaff, I've been blowing out with air. No problems so far. Need to get some anti-freeze tomorrow tho to pour in the traps. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote