Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Question for the Pros with nothing better to do

This one is for you guys who know all there is to know about this stuff, and I KNOW this site has several of those. This site is the best.

Here's the story:

We have a Grey Wolf 26DBH bought May, 2013. It's a 2014 model. Not ONE thing wrong with it. We love it.

However, we bought it in haste, and the "BH" was to accommodate our 5 grandkids that are strung out over 850 miles in 3 directions. But it turns out we never have more than 1-2 of them, and almost never any at all!!! And, the Grey Wolf, as good as it is, is basically an entry level TT.

In about a year, maybe 2, we should be able to afford a bit better setup. This time, we want to think it through more slowly. So, we are NOT looking to buy now, but need to know what to plan for. Here are the things we are 'missing' that we'd like to have in our next TT:

-More living space. Recliners, easier living space, not Bunk House.

-Bigger kitchen area. Island if possible.

-Full door to separate bedroom. KING size bed is nice, but only about 2-3 models I can find make them.

-Bigger shower, no tub needed. Glass surround shower.

-Outside kitchen. Outside 'shower' to wash stuff off.

-Passthrough storage.

-Fiberglass construction, not "stick and tin". Well insulated.

There are a few others, but that's enough for now. We have been totally "in love" with FROG, and really would like to stay in the Family. However, the only models I can find online that truly look great are:
Dutchman Denali 287RE
Cruiser RV Enterra 31RSS
Cruiser RV Viewfinder 32RLSS

I do have one question about Forest River. How can I possibly find a 'ranking' of Top-of-Line TT's they make, on down??? Which ones are the Ultimate? Then next, etc???

I can't seem to find a Forest River product that is laid out like we want. BUT, when I sneak around (ha) and read the User's Group Forum for the above TT's, there seem to be a lot of issues!!

Also, we have a great dealer here in town. But they mostly carry Passports (Keystone), and a few others.

TV is a new 2015 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD, so anything made, I can probably pull.

Not totally opposed to a 5th wheel, but I fear that they are way out of our price range. If I truly search, the above TT's list for $38K-$45K, but they are sold every day for $30K-$33K, if I'm willing to travel to get one (We're in Arkansas).....which I am, what diff does it make where I buy it???

SO............if you are sitting around with nothing to do, offer up some suggestions. As I say, it'll be a year before we pull the trigger, and then we'll have to trade in the Grey Wolf, but we do need to know what we don't know!!!

As always, thanks to all y'all (Southern Plural of y'all)!!! I'll check back periodically.

Bill
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:08 PM   #2

OH. One other item. I have a BakFlip F2 on the truck. I'd have to take it off (I love it, and it was expensive!!) to get a 5th wheel, too. Just can't see going that route.

BUT, I swear........I am either going to get a Hensley or ProPride hitch with the next one, if I can figure out how to get the dealer to install it...........
Old 08-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

"what diff does it make where I buy it???"

Keep in mind RV dealers service is not like the auto industry. As you know dealers may not want to service your RV if you didn't buy it from them. And if they decide they want to you might be put at the bottom the of list, especially in peak times like the spring.

When DW and I were looking at 5th wheels we decided not to go with a king bed because we need/wanted a bedside table/stand.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #4

There are Several units that fill your desires,but you will need to expand your radius area! If you are looking at a (Travel trailer) it makes No diff.where you Buy. A (Local Dealer) isn't much help when your 100s of miles from home! Don't buy from a Picture,sit in a Real unit that you are interested in,run the slides in/out,make believe you are (Traveling/Camping)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #5

Boy, Youroo, that's a problem. NO ONE has one of the units I've found that we like. Nada.

So, which ones fit the bill???? Does Forest River make one? And what is the TOL Forest River TT?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
There are Several units that fill your desires,but you will need to expand your radius area! If you are looking at a (Travel trailer) it makes No diff.where you Buy. A (Local Dealer) isn't much help when your 100s of miles from home! Don't buy from a Picture,sit in a Real unit that you are interested in,run the slides in/out,make believe you are (Traveling/Camping)! Youroo!!
Did Joyce type this? [emoji21]

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

Band,
I was in your predicament a few months ago and ended up having to go the long-distance-internet-purchase route. I was eager to deal locally, but was amazed at how uninterested the local dealers were to "deal". I ended up purchasing from this dealer, and I have to say the experience was excellent. Before I purchased I did my research and homework. I also found one of our local dealers that is a certified Forest River service center that said they would happily service my unit if needed.

Fun Cars RV

He sells a lot of NON toy hauler lines including a large number of Forest River products. This may help you find a model you like, and at what true wholesale price it can be had at. At the very least maybe you can use these prices to leverage your local dealers

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:00 PM   #8

I have the 312QBUD model. It is really nice.... but a bunkhouse. I think that you might be interested in the (Salem) Hemisphere line.

Hemisphere Travel Trailer Floorplans by Forest River

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:31 PM   #9

Sounds like you are not in a hurry to get the "new one". You should schedule a vacation to one of the large RV shows. Take the two or three days of the show to explore every type and model they have. Then make your decision.

We can give you all the pros and cons of each FR model made, but until you sit inside of them you will never know for sure.

Remember, shopping for a new RV is almost as fun as camping in one. Enjoy this shopping time.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
PPST OGCDG

RV Show in Ark.
DG Attractions

Forest River RV Dealers in Ark.
http://www.forestriverrvsource.com/r...2.asp?state=ar
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
FEBRUARY 28, 2014.....but thanks.

I guess I have to figure this out for myself. I see another guy asked for help with 'ranking' the FR products. To no avail. Guess no one knows how to rank them.

Not hard to figure out a Lexus is more stylish and expensive than a Toyota. But with TT's??? No one apparently know. Odd.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
Carknocker Family

Have you searched the net for the floorplan you desire? I too am from Arkansas, couldn't get a local dealer to deal. Bought my TT in Ohio, went and got it myself. I take it to your neck of the woods for service. Moix Rv to be exact. Good luck and don't rush yourself this time.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #13

Yes, the floorplans are close to what I posted in first post in this thread.

I'd like to buy from Moix, but they are high, and have few options.

I really wanted to know if Dutchmen or Cruiser RV were worth spit, but I guess I'm asking wrong group. I can find a floorplan I want....but I also want quality this time, this is my last one.

This is like going to a fancy restaurant with McDonald's in the back, and having them give you a 5,000 item menu and ask you to figure it out with no help.

Seems some of these questions are simple. Apparently not. I'm thinking of trying to find a Forest River Rep and call.........but not sure I'd get anywhere there either.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #14

One tip I can give about quality is the higher the price the higher the quality, now that doesn't mean you won't have problems with it. And you said this will be your last one. Do not lie to yourself.....lol

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #15

Ha. Well, I WANT it to be the last. It will be, IF it is what I want and of high quality. I'm approaching it as if it will be, at least.

At THIS age, LOTS of things are my "last" purchase! I told my wife I'd never buy another pair of shoes if she wouldn't!!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #16

X2 on visiting an RV show to narrow-down your floor plan & quality options.

We didn't want to go over $20K, so we were looking at entry-level Grey Wolf bunkhouses too before we walked through them in person... In the end we went with a better quality slightly used TT which allowed us to have a better TT & still stay in our budget...

Since you need (3) slides to accommodate the RE space & front King bed space, IMO you should consider a slightly used 5er. Get a quote from a wholesaler, etc. on the same model new to drive the used price down. IMO many 2-3 year-old used RVs have had all of the initial quality issues resolved but the components still have very little wear & tear.

Many folks buy RVs & then life circumstances change... Our 3 year-old TT still had that new camper smell & hardly looked lived in. We spent 30+ days camping this summer unlike some who buy new & spend all summer having the dealer fix warranty issues... With the money saved we could basically replace every major appliance/component...
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #17

BandJ,

At times, you can negotiate those 50k fivers down to what you feel comfortable paying. Pay no attention to the advertised prices. Go to the dealer and work that salesperson for the deal you want to make. Remember, don't be afraid to walk away a few times, they'll eventually come down on the price.

2013 Berkshire 390 BH
Old 08-12-2014, 10:02 AM   #18

The wife and I visited 5 different RV shows over about a 6 month time period, as far as 300 miles from where we live. We wanted to make sure we were getting a good variey at the shows. We have found that if you visit multiple shows within about 100 miles of you, they tend to over lap with dealers and products you already saw at the last show. So if you are willing to drive a fair distance, you can really check out many products. It will also introduce you to many more dealers.

As has been stated above, if you arent in any hurry, take your time and use the shows to narrow your search down to a handful. Then use other shows to sit in each of them, over and over. Sit on the toilet, stand in the shower, stand in front of the kitchen sink, sit on the couch and stare at the tv (I have issues with my neck, so a seat facing a tv is important to me, but maybe not for everyone). Open and close the cabinets to visualize the storage, because not all storage is equal, lol. Look at the size and shape of the outside storage compartments, as well as the size of the door to use those compartments. I have come across some trailers with huge storage space, but tiny doors to access them, lol, in my opinion it makes the storage useless of you cant fit your items through the door...

Old 08-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #19

Wonderful Idea. I would love to do that.

100 miles from here is.............pretty much rice fields!

Right now, if I HAD to make a decision...........and I don't........it'd be a Crusader 334CKT Fifth Wheel, IF I could negotiate one amazing price from someone.

Course, that means new hitch, yada yada.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #20

Look at the Wildwood Heritage Glen TT. Love our 2014 272RLIS which we bought at Shady Pines RV sales just west of Texarkana , Tx. Service & salespeople are top of the line.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mdt343 is offline   Reply With Quote