Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Question: Keys, water filter and LP cylinder

Good day all,

While I'm waiting for my 2006 3100ltd getting fixed and owner transfer to de done, I was wandering wich water filter I need to purchase and where to install it on the water system? The is no water filter either under the bed or under the sink.

Also, I notice there was a dealbolt on the latch. I tried all the keys the owner have but none is either turning the deadbolt on-off but working manually from inside. Could someone show me the key the have for their deadbolt. If I have the key, it would mean the cylinder is jammed.

Now, the liquid propane cylinder.... I can't find the date on it. Is there a way to get is changed and what is the part I would need to order? The previous owner never got a test performed.

Thanks for you help.

Stephane
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Good day all,

While I'm waiting for my 2006 3100ltd getting fixed and owner transfer to de done, I was wandering wich water filter I need to purchase and where to install it on the water system? The is no water filter either under the bed or under the sink.

Also, I notice there was a dealbolt on the latch. I tried all the keys the owner have but none is either turning the deadbolt on-off but working manually from inside. Could someone show me the key the have for their deadbolt. If I have the key, it would mean the cylinder is jammed.

Now, the liquid propane cylinder.... I can't find the date on it. Is there a way to get is changed and what is the part I would need to order? The previous owner never got a test performed.

Thanks for you help.

Stephane

1 - What is a 3100ltd? Motor home, travel trailer 5th wheel...??

2 - There probably isn't any onboard water filter. Just get an in-line water filter (Amazon, Walmart, Camping World) such as this;
https://www.walmart.com/search?q=cam...ypeahead=camco

3 - A picture of your door latch & keys would help us identify which latch you have. If the key goes in the lock cylinder without forcing it, then it's probably just a little corroded. Try spraying a little WD-40 in the lock cylinder and insert & remove the key several times to work the WD-40 around & try turning the key a little bit once in a while.

4 - On the upper protective collar that protects the valve, there is a series of numbers, letters etc. stamped into the metal. Some of these tell the operator of the re-filling station the size & weight of the tank. Also, there is a date code, it's as simple as month & year. IE; July 2006 would be 07/06, November 2006 would be 11/06.

Hope all this helps.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
1 - What is a 3100ltd? Motor home, travel trailer 5th wheel...??

2 - There probably isn't any onboard water filter. Just get an in-line water filter (Amazon, Walmart, Camping World) such as this;
https://www.walmart.com/search?q=cam...ypeahead=camco

3 - A picture of your door latch & keys would help us identify which latch you have. If the key goes in the lock cylinder without forcing it, then it's probably just a little corroded. Try spraying a little WD-40 in the lock cylinder and insert & remove the key several times to work the WD-40 around & try turning the key a little bit once in a while.

4 - On the upper protective collar that protects the valve, there is a series of numbers, letters etc. stamped into the metal. Some of these tell the operator of the re-filling station the size & weight of the tank. Also, there is a date code, it's as simple as month & year. IE; July 2006 would be 07/06, November 2006 would be 11/06.

Hope all this helps.
Thanks fo the infos.. Sorry for the missing infos as well

1- Forest River Sunseeker motorhome model 3100ltd.

2- Nice to know. I will look for that filter.

3- I don,t have the RV yet, went fo the inspection last week.. Black tank is getting replaced by insurance from previoous owner. The latch seems to be a regular with 2 cylinders ( lock and Deadbolt ) I will ask the mecanic to put some lubricant.

4. Just played with contrast on the picture I took.. I can barely see 2006... Does that mean the cylinder is to old and can,t be refilled since it's over the 10 years?

RV Rookie Stef
Old 10-16-2021, 11:16 AM   #4

https://rvwhisperer.com/rv-propane-tanks-expiration/
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:32 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
As the OP hails from Québec, I would suggest consulting Transport Canada for LP container requirements. Many of Canada's regulations mirror that of the U.S. 49 CFR, but not all. The link below may be of some help:

https://propane.ca/wp-content/upload...kings_2016.pdf
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:48 PM   #6

Awesome. Thanks.

I also read somewhere for motorhome install, i would only need inspection. I will contact TC and the manufacturer
Old 10-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #7

That is correct Jeeper,

A built in LP tank is a ASME type and does not need to be replaced ever but does need to be inspected. There is not expiry date as there is with a portable bottle. Enjoy your new to you RV.

Paul

2023 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS
2020 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2502KS
2012 Ram 2500 6.7L Diesel
2plus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #8

Not WD-40 in locks

Quote:
Bad choice. It washes away any graphite or lube that was in the lock and leaves it dry. A better choice is Lock-Ease, powdered graphite in an alcohol suspension. The alcohol flows it in and evaporates leaving the dry graphite which does not capture dirt and dust like a petroleum lube would. In other words, it's made for this job.

Quote:
Easiest thing to do with an expired tank is exchange it. Here in the US, most supermarkets and home repair stores have 20 lb. tanks for exchange for around $US 15. We used to be able to get the 30 lb. tanks recertified at propane dealers for a small fee. Since COVID, they have switched to a new model: they do an exchange at your home. Both local suppliers have switched to this model and no longer provide walk-in service of any kind. When I exchanged an out-of-date one last month, using their web page to place the order, I added in the comments "Please provide a cylinder with at least five years left on the expiration since we take the trailer on the road and may be in a location that only does refills, not exchanges." They honored the request. Here in the US, a new 30 lb. cylinder is $US 99 at Costco.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:32 PM   #9

3- True, I will spray some lubricant not wd-40

4- The tank is built under the motorhome.. Only inspection is required. Not like the portable tank we use home outside for bbq.

RV Rookie
Old 10-16-2021, 06:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Bad choice. It washes away any graphite or lube that was in the lock and leaves it dry. A better choice is Lock-Ease, powdered graphite in an alcohol suspension. The alcohol flows it in and evaporates leaving the dry graphite which does not capture dirt and dust like a petroleum lube would. In other words, it's made for this job.

That's fine as regular maintenance. But, since it appears it may be corroded we must first break it free with either WD-40 or Penetrating spray. Once free and operational, flush out and then use the graphite lock lube.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:56 PM   #11

WD-40 evaporates pretty quickly, and leaves silicone behind. But, I do like Lock-ease best. If it really is corroded, you may need Liquid Wrench.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:19 AM   #12

The filter I have is clear02 with the pre-filter canister because where I camp has well water. We have rust and the pre-filter does a good gob of filtering it out.
manonthelam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
question, water, water filter