Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2021, 09:03 AM   #1

Question on best way to level on slanted driveway

Newbie here and I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've tried searching the forum to no avail. I just purchased a Wildwood FSX 178BHSK and have a question on trying to level this in my driveway, which declines to the street. The tongue jack just doesn't extend high enough. So, I figured I'd reach out to you guru's for some opinions and advice. I recently saw a video or two, where the owner(s) extended the tongue jack as high as it would go, then placed blocks as high as he could under the stabilizer jacks. He then proceeded to recede the tongue jack, add more blocks under that and crank it up further until the trailer was level. I know you're not supposed to lift the trailer with the stabilizer jacks, wouldn't this be the same thing? I'd love to get my trailer level from front to back but don't want to damage my investment or worse myself in the process. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with. Thanks in advance.
Tom
Attached Images

Tbrophy0327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 09:44 AM   #2

Chock front of tires. Raise rear stabilizers and continue with the front jack and stabilizers. It looks like you are close!
Capacitor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #3

Looks like you need wheel chocks in front of tires. Remove the stabilizer blocks in back. Run the jack up higher, can you get it level. Stack the extra blocking up front under stabilizers, if needed. I think you should be able to get it close with the jack.
Badger_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:12 AM   #4

The front of the trailer is chocked with HF black rubber chocks. After posting my question, I noticed that you can't see them. I also put my TV in neutral setting the chocks before unhitching.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Chocks and blocks, like you are doing. I don't put my stabilizers jacks down in my driveway. Never use stabs to lift weight of trailer, like you said. My drive slopes in opposite direction, so back end of trailer is pretty high from ground, and jack much lower.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #6
EDR

Leveling on Slanted Driveway

I was also advised by dealer and senior members on this website to only use stab jacks for stabilizing while camping to lessen wobbling from wind or walking - never for leveling or raising trailer. My driveway is also quite slanted, so after chocking tires, I raise the tongue jack as high as it will go, put 4 x 4 blocks under the front frame, lower the tongue jack and place concrete blocks under the jack so I can raise my trailer higher. Then I lower the rear stab jacks just to touch the pavement. Seems to work for my 16 ft. Clipper Cadet.
EDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDR View Post
I was also advised by dealer and senior members on this website to only use stab jacks for stabilizing while camping to lessen wobbling from wind or walking - never for leveling or raising trailer. My driveway is also quite slanted, so after chocking tires, I raise the tongue jack as high as it will go, put 4 x 4 blocks under the front frame, lower the tongue jack and place concrete blocks under the jack so I can raise my trailer higher. Then I lower the rear stab jacks just to touch the pavement. Seems to work for my 16 ft. Clipper Cadet.
^^^ This is probably the easiest in your situation. You don't want to use those stabilizers to hold any weight. Instead of concrete blocks, you could use jack stands under the frame if you want more stability. Heavy duty chocks are essential because it is, after all, on wheels. They do make products to raise the tongue, but we just used wood blocks.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrophy0327 View Post
Newbie here and I apologize if this question has been asked before. I've tried searching the forum to no avail. I just purchased a Wildwood FSX 178BHSK and have a question on trying to level this in my driveway, which declines to the street. The tongue jack just doesn't extend high enough. So, I figured I'd reach out to you guru's for some opinions and advice. I recently saw a video or two, where the owner(s) extended the tongue jack as high as it would go, then placed blocks as high as he could under the stabilizer jacks. He then proceeded to recede the tongue jack, add more blocks under that and crank it up further until the trailer was level. I know you're not supposed to lift the trailer with the stabilizer jacks, wouldn't this be the same thing? I'd love to get my trailer level from front to back but don't want to damage my investment or worse myself in the process. Any help would be appreciated. I've attached some pictures so you can see what I'm dealing with. Thanks in advance.
Tom
Does your tongue jack have drop legs? If so, do you have those extended?

Drop legs:
Old 08-05-2021, 05:28 PM   #9

I don't have that type of jack, but the consensus seems to be the same. I can put blocks under the front frame and add more blocks under the tongue jack. Thanks for the response
Old 08-05-2021, 05:30 PM   #10

I appreciate the feedback, I did get some good ideas. Thanks again
Old 08-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

The most important thing (besides not rolling down the driveway) is to always make sure those stabilizers are up and doorway ladder up before jacking, etc. You can damage them by stressing them with too much weight, like by jacking up front, back end will tilt down putting weight on stabs. Same if you have one of those threshold mounted ladders that go to ground. If door is closed, you can push the ladder up and mess up your door.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The most important thing (besides not rolling down the driveway) is to always make sure those stabilizers are up and doorway ladder up before jacking, etc. You can damage them by stressing them with too much weight, like by jacking up front, back end will tilt down putting weight on stabs. Same if you have one of those threshold mounted ladders that go to ground. If door is closed, you can push the ladder up and mess up your door.
I learned that the hard way with my other camper. Always forgot to put up the stabilizers. Thankfully, I got to them quickly and no damage done.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:01 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

Sorry, didn't realize this is not your first rodeo!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #14

It’s technically not my first rodeo, but I’m still a newbie. We bought and traded up a camper from last year. I was able to level my other one because it sat closer to the ground and a shorter living space. Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated

Tags
question