Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #1

Question regarding black/grey and Barker portable

Hi everyone,

I have a question about my Suveryor 294. We finally got a spot at a permanent campground we've been trying to get into for years, and we're very excited! We're told that gray water can be flushed into a buried holding tank (big hole being dug tonight). Black water has to be transported to a dumping station, obviously. I'm ordering a Barker 32 gallon unit as our black tank is 30 gallons. I read on these forums that some vanities and some showers go to the blank holding tank, which would really be a bummer for me if true as it would mean more trips to the dumping station.

Is there a way to find out if the 294 has either of these plumbed to the blank tank and not the gray tank?

Thanks for any info or advice you can offer...

James
smallstonefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Director, FROG

James, send a note to Susan Thornberg (sthornberg@forestriverinc.com) at the Surveyor division of Forest River. She should be able to give you the straight ... no, I can't say it. She can tell you about how the plumbing is set up.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You're braver than I am...wouldn't want to have to deal with transferring the black tank all the time on a permanent site. Do they have a pump-out service as a option?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Thanks - email sent!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
You're braver than I am...wouldn't want to have to deal with transferring the black tank all the time on a permanent site. Do they have a pump-out service as a option?

Dave
I asked about that and was surprised to find that they don't. It's something I would certainly pay for.

ah well, it helped justify the price of a golf cart to haul the portable tank around!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Tote tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
I asked about that and was surprised to find that they don't. It's something I would certainly pay for.

ah well, it helped justify the price of a golf cart to haul the portable tank around!
Suggest you time your trips carefully! The 30 gallon tank is over 250 lbs. at capacity. Towing is one thing, filling and dumping is a entire different matter. I handled grey water that way, its quite a chore because of the dead weight. The more often the m/t's the better.

Not sure and any of those tanks will last long at full capacity (hardware)
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Suggest you time your trips carefully! The 30 gallon tank is over 250 lbs. at capacity. Towing is one thing, filling and dumping is a entire different matter. I handled grey water that way, its quite a chore because of the dead weight. The more often the m/t's the better.

Not sure and any of those tanks will last long at full capacity (hardware)
What does m/t's stand for?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

There are so many acronyms in these scripts I thought my Marine terms were simple! "M/T" stands for the empty status of storage tanks, we would track distilled and fresh water levels very closely onboard a vessel. M/T on a "sounding" board would reflect that tank has nothing left.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Thanks for the warning. It is our intent to empty it every weekend we use the camper. I'd be very surprised if we filled a 30 gallon black water tank in a weekend, but you never know! We have a dump station that's about a 5 minute drive on a gravel road so we could pull with the jeep. Hopefully getting it to the road is easy using our golf cart.

We've still got a few things to figure out...
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
Thanks for the warning. It is our intent to empty it every weekend we use the camper. I'd be very surprised if we filled a 30 gallon black water tank in a weekend, but you never know! We have a dump station that's about a 5 minute drive on a gravel road so we could pull with the jeep. Hopefully getting it to the road is easy using our golf cart.

We've still got a few things to figure out...
That'll work!