Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2022, 10:25 AM   #1

Race Track Proximity Effect

I've been RV'in for 3 years now and have been all over the east coast. I actually live near Talladega in Alabama and I've noted that all along the Atlanta highway there are RV parks but they are extremely spartan versions, as in gravel lot, power water, possibly sewer. no trees, no playgrounds or pools, I look in that area because my wife works all along I-20 and was looking at ways to shorten her commutes. Anyway thats a side issue. I was recently looking at parks near Damascus Va, which so happens to be near another big race track and noticed also a proliferation of bear bones, minimum effort, mail it in type of RV parks. I'm wondering if the fact that race fans have apparent low expectations of accommodations for race weekends if there are always few good choices within an hours drive of a major race track? I also wonder if an investor could clean up by putting some nice 5 star RV parks all within 30 minutes of major race tracks.
slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
I've been RV'in for 3 years now and have been all over the east coast. I actually live near Talladega in Alabama and I've noted that all along the Atlanta highway there are RV parks but they are extremely spartan versions, as in gravel lot, power water, possibly sewer. no trees, no playgrounds or pools, I look in that area because my wife works all along I-20 and was looking at ways to shorten her commutes. Anyway thats a side issue. I was recently looking at parks near Damascus Va, which so happens to be near another big race track and noticed also a proliferation of bear bones, minimum effort, mail it in type of RV parks. I'm wondering if the fact that race fans have apparent low expectations of accommodations for race weekends if there are always few good choices within an hours drive of a major race track? I also wonder if an investor could clean up by putting some nice 5 star RV parks all within 30 minutes of major race tracks.
Don't think race fans care their there to watch races . electricity ,water what more do you need . for people wanting to get away from it all then it's trees water and nice camp spots
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer View Post
I also wonder if an investor could clean up by putting some nice 5 star RV parks all within 30 minutes of major race tracks.
Probably not. You don't need amenities if you're going to spend all your time at the track. Either you're family is going to be at the track with you or you leave them at home.
Now if there were other attractions in the area, it might work.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Now if there were other attractions in the area, it might work.
I'm not sure if I agree with that, In my limited experience it seems a really awesome campground is an attraction unto itself. I do use the RV to see big tourist attractions but many times the campground itself is the draw. In my above example both Talladega and Bristol have mountains near by that are a huge draw unto themselves. So even without the race tracks I'd expect a good resort to do well.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #5

If you are talking about Bristol Motor Speedway there are some really nice RV parks within a short drive. Also Bristol is not a "big" track. Pigeon Forge only being an hour and a half or so away a park near Bristol would not be a destination except to locals.

I can speak more for Martinsville Speeday. There are very few nice RV parks near by. Why would an investor want to put out sevaral million dollars for a park that would only get used for the most part two (weeks) times a year.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:27 PM   #6
Defender of America

I think it's about return on investment. If you have nothing to offer except "fresh air" it doesn't differentiate you from any other place. The places you talk about are what I would characterize as parking lots for the Patriots football games. The stadium seats approx. 70K. That's a lot of vehicles on game day; but, when the game isn't in town or it's not Sunday the lots are empty. It's hard to even get stores to locate near the stadium because there isn't the traffic to justify it.

Secondly, it's seems to be tough going to get communities to approve a campground anywhere these days. The local homeowners assume that it will morph into low rent trailer parks within minutes of construction. And no one wants "those kind of people" (tongue and cheek) in their backyard.

Third, It's expensive to build the infrastructure to support a campground. Without a clear grasp of what it will take to make it profitable, no one wants to shell out that kind of $$.

Just my opinion and your results may differ.
Centerline TS WDH
2004 Heritage Softtail Harley Davidson
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:42 PM   #7

I stayed at Grandstand RV Park last year which is right next to Talladega Speedway and it was much nicer than the ones I was driving past. Nice sites, with power and water and a dump station, though they were talking about adding sewer. They were building a new bathhouse at the time and they had basketball court, playground, dog park, flat property, nice grass, maintained roads.

There were so many other campgrounds that were not flat, looked cramped and many seemed abandoned/permanently closed or for sale. Not just unmaintained outside race season, but no longer in business.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 12:57 PM   #8

Speaking of racetracks

Speaking of racetracks, there's expected to be huge exodus from Florida in front of Ian. (Georgia is trying to figure out how to retain space in their shelters for Georgia residents, before they fill with Florida evacuees.)

Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS) has announced that their infield campground is open to evacuees.

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:16 PM   #9

I'll have to lend to the majority here, but I believe a top quality RV resort somewhere on I-20, probably close to Oxford to get folks easy access to both the race track and the Talladega national forests would do well. I go out every month in the RV. I will go out of state quite often but not two months in a row, so every other month I do what I call a "one tanker" that means I won't go further than I can go on one tank (and I have a tundra which has a small tank). Which pretty much means North and Central Alabama. I've found plenty of good parks around but there seems to be a gaping hole around Talladega with the race track in the bulls eye. The closest nice park is Greensport, which is a good ways out from there and they stay slammed full year round and fill every spot they can build, and they are building as fast as they can. I have never heard of Grandstand before. I admit it looks pretty good in the pictures. I may have to check that one out.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:37 PM   #10

Here are some images I took from last year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507_153206.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	279813   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507_153209.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	345.1 KB
ID:	279814   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210507_152655.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	357.7 KB
ID:	279815  

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:07 PM   #11

Around here people were booking all the sites and then trying to sell the bookings for more money online on buy/sell sites. I think thats whats happening. The last two times I was camping it looked the same as that ^
RV_Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV_Lee View Post
Around here people were booking all the sites and then trying to sell the bookings for more money online on buy/sell sites. I think thats whats happening. The last two times I was camping it looked the same as that ^
This seems like they are stealing to me. If I owned a campground I'd not allow anyone to make a profit off of my back.