Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2007, 09:13 AM   #1

Ran out of propane on coldest night. YIKES

My husband and I went camping with frineds last weekend. I asked my husband are you sure we have enough propane, going to be in the 40's during the day and 20's at night.

Well much to our surprise, we woke up in the middle of the night on Friday evening to a 36 degree camper. RAN OUT OF PROPANE!

Needless to say it was very cold in the trailer, we could see our breath. We didn't want to wake any friends in their trailers, so we piled all the blankets on, threw the dogs in our beds with their coats on and toughed it out till 8:00 am when we could run into town and fill the tanks.

I don't think my husband will ever assume we have enough propane again.

silly, silly man!

Rebecca

Ted & Rebecca
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315SS (Cream Cabinets)

10 year old Lab - Morgan
1 year old Basset Hound - Lola

2 Teenage Sons

Interior Designer for homes & RV's - Love my Job!
the happy hour oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #2

good thing you have big dogs
we have a heatig blanket n our bed this time of the year, just in case and actually we turn the heat way down and rely on each ohter and the blankets to stay warm. the heat really dries out the skin and at ur age thats not good,

also our bedroom a/c unit has the optioanl heat strip and it wil knock off the chill pretty quick. it was an easy plug and play mod less than 45 buckaroos at cw.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Things I've learned...the hard way:

You will always use more propane than you think. I always keep one cylinder completely full. (and ensure before you retire for the evening....that BOTH cylinders are open)

I always carry a space heater that's electric. Anything can happen.

If you don't have hookups, it's cold outside, and your battery is depleted by the furnace...you can hook your umbilical cord to your tow vehicle and run the engine. This will give you juice to run the furnace and warm up the RV. (and a vehicle Auto-Start key fob is your best friend!) You can cycle it on/off to stay warm enough during the night so you don't run the vehicle constantly. (not sure if everyone's RV wiring is set up this way...but mine was)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 AM   #4

You know it just occured to me that we have a heated mattress in our rockwood. I never thought to throw the controls in the camper when we bought it. It is only 4 months old so a bunch of the stuff they gave us is still in a box in the basement. Guess I better dig out the controls and leave them in there. It sure would have helped.

Rebecca

Ted & Rebecca

10 year old Lab - Morgan

2 Teenage Sons

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #5

We use a small portable Holmes Compact Heater in the TT.
It has two speeds and is thermostatically controlled. We place the electric heater in the kitchen area, on the counter top and it blows toward the bedroom.

We don't use the heated mattress as we have a 4" Memory Foam Topper. I tried it once and the Topper prevents most of the heat from going through.

Also, we carry an electric blanket just in-case we need more warmth.

We very seldom ever use the furnace. I think we turned it on once this year, just to make sure it worked. No use burning Propane when the electricity is in the price of the site.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
We use a small portable Holmes Compact Heater in the TT.
It has two speeds and is thermostatically controlled. We place the electric heater in the kitchen area, on the counter top and it blows toward the bedroom.

We don't use the heated mattress as we have a 4" Memory Foam Topper. I tried it once and the Topper prevents most of the heat from going through.

Also, we carry an electric blanket just in-case we need more warmth.

We very seldom ever use the furnace. I think we turned it on once this year, just to make sure it worked. No use burning Propane when the electricity is in the price of the site.
We have the memory topper as well. Guess your right, using the heated mattress wouldn't even help with the topper.

We just put ours to bed for a few months and I threw a portable electric spaceheater in the camper just in case we ever run in to that again.

Althought after the look I gave my husband while sitting in the camper and being able to see my breath, I don't think we will EVER travel again without one tank being completely full at all times.

Rebecca

Ted & Rebecca

10 year old Lab - Morgan

2 Teenage Sons