Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 PM   #1

RCA Tube TV & DVD

I told our dealer I couldn't believe in 2008 we were getting a RCA Tube tv with our Sandpiper TT, seems only the 5"ers get HDTV's. He said it wouldn't pay to request a change request on the order, as basicly we would be paying for two tv's? Any opinions on this electronic equipment or experience with it?
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

I hit the "edit" button by mistake...it's been a long day.

Anyway, we use ordinary TV's for cheap video monitors where I work. We went to WalMart and got several RCA tube TV's with the flat screen. They get abused but all have held up really well. For what that's worth. I think they are more durable than a plasma or LED flat screen. My only question is will you need a HDTV converter box?

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #3

Eww! No way! My TT and many others come with an Lcd HDTV. I would have liked a plasma..but oh well! The Main has the converter box for the hd and the other i had to supply. Found one at wally world with a dvd player/burner for 135ish.
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:00 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
I'm good with an 'old school' CRT. I picked up a 32" Sony Trinitron for 1/4 the price of an equivalent LCD and don't have nearly the same heat generation. Besides, many cheap LCDs have pixel failure soon after purchase that just annoys the crap out of me.

They are a space-saver, sure, but most installations just waste the space behind the unit anyway. I do like the installations hung on swivel brackets though.

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #5
Ray

highwayman said:

Quote:
I told our dealer I couldn't believe in 2008 we were getting a RCA Tube tv with our Sandpiper TT
This situation may well be one of those where differences of opinion will color someones idea of what is right or wrong, but I wouldn't want a CRT television in my RV if I could possibly have a choice. One of the main things that one should ascertain when getting a TV of any kind, is if the TV has a digital tuner. As everyone should know by now, TV as we know it, will change after February 17, 2009 when broadcasters will turn their analog signals off and broadcast only in digital format. This will affect only receivers that are connected to an antenna in order to receive over-the -air signals. Satellite and cable customers can continue to use their old analog sets if they desire. All television receivers sold after February 2007 must include an over-the-air ATSC digital tuner or be clearly labeled saying the sets won’t work after next year’s digital transition. This also applies to VCR's and DVR's with analog tuners. I mention this because there have already been cases where almost all large retailers have broken this law and have been fined by the FCC.

I would make sure that the television receiver that has been sold along with your RV, at least has digial capabilites as required by law. My personal preference would be to ditch the CRT receiver and install an digitally capable LCD if you could afford it.

welshman599 wrote:

Quote:
I'm good with an 'old school' CRT. I picked up a 32" Sony Trinitron for 1/4 the price of an equivalent LCD and don't have nearly the same heat generation. Besides, many cheap LCDs have pixel failure soon after purchase that just annoys the crap out of me.
As I have said above, personal preference will enter into anyone's decision as to which type receiver that you may wish to own. However, your statement that your 32" CRT receiver doesn't have nearly the heat generation of an equavilent LCD, is inaccurate. Unlike standard CRT and Plasma televisions, since there are no phosphors that light up, less power is needed for operation and the light source in an LCD television generates less heat than a Plasma or traditional television. Also, because of the nature of LCD technology, there is no radiation emitted from the screen itself. Further, LCD's are lighter in weight (when comparing same screen sizes) than their Plasma counterparts and typically require about half the power to operate.

As far as pixel failure is concerned, Plasma sets are actually more prone to have this trouble than LCD's are. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. There are alot of cheap junk LCDs units available. Cheaper units tend to have very poor picture quality and the warranties are less than acceptable. Obviously, pixel failure, or any other sort of failure would be more likely in the cheaper, no name units. However, pixel failure has not been a problem of any consequence in quality units for quite some time now. Stick to a name brand such as Samsung, Sony, Panosonic, etc., in order to expect the best quality picture along with longevity.

One of the first things I did with my trailer was to remove the cheap LCD monitor that was installed to operate with the Concertone unit, and replace it with a 20" Samsung LCD unit with a built in tuner.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #6

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Pretty uppity for a guy with 7 posts! But you make your points well. Thinking back it was CRT vs Plasma that I had read about. Thanks Ray!

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
Ray

welshman599 said:

Quote:
Pretty uppity for a guy with 7 posts!
No offense intended I assure you. As you can see, I have been a member of the forum since last August, but I mostly remain in the background unless something comes up where I have, at least, some expertise. I do post a good bit on the RV.NET forum where I have been a member since 2003.

I joined this forum when I obtained my Flagstaff.
2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 differential

Tow Package W/Integrated TT Brake Controller

2015 Open Range LT274 RLS
Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #8

Sony has stopped manufacturing HD CRTs. I bought the last one for my home. My Sony KD-34XBR970 weighs over 200 lbs. CRT tecvhnology doesn't scale up. I believe the quality of the picture is superior to plasma and LCD HDTVs but they are much too large to carry in an RV. Forest River may sell HDTVs but not HDTV systems with HD receivers and HDMI components.
jndbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #9

I bought a 27" Sanyo flat screen at Wally World for my TT and the picture is great, even without HD programs. When my 27" Zenith in the stick house went out, I went to Circuit City and bought a 32" Sony LCD flatscreen. I'm disappointed in the Sony. The picture isn't clear. I can see where the digital part comes in (if that doesn't make sense, I can see blocks in the picture). I don't know if I'm just sitting too close to the screen or what, but I can get right up next to the Sanyo and the picture is still clear. And the Sanyo was $300 cheaper.
Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmyers View Post
I bought a 27" Sanyo flat screen at Wally World for my TT and the picture is great, even without HD programs. When my 27" Zenith in the stick house went out, I went to Circuit City and bought a 32" Sony LCD flatscreen. I'm disappointed in the Sony. The picture isn't clear. I can see where the digital part comes in (if that doesn't make sense, I can see blocks in the picture). I don't know if I'm just sitting too close to the screen or what, but I can get right up next to the Sanyo and the picture is still clear. And the Sanyo was $300 cheaper.
If you are seeing "blocks" it could be that you are receiving a marginal signal from the broadcast station, or broadcast source. The Sony should have a diagnostic mode that will tell you the strength of the signal being received. A weak signal tends to break up into the blocks that you describe, this is comparable to the "snow" that one would experience with a weak analog signal.
2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 differential

Tow Package W/Integrated TT Brake Controller

2015 Open Range LT274 RLS