Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Rear View Camera

I'm wanting to get a rear view camera system for the back of our 5th wheel. Has anyone ever used this unit: Rear View Safety | Product | Backup Camera System | RVS-770613

or, is there another setup that is preferred?
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast murray
I'm wanting to get a rear view camera system for the back of our 5th wheel. Has anyone ever used this unit: Rear View Safety | Product | Backup Camera System | RVS-770613

or, is there another setup that is preferred?
I'm also looking at rear camera systems and the exact model you listed is at the top of my list. Hopefully there are a few members out there who can report on their experiences with this model and/or supplier.
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

Hey Fast and David,
We installed the Rear View Safety system but with the rear view mirror monitor instead of the dedicated monitor. The quality of all the parts and cables is top notch! The cable for the trailer to the truck is very impressive! The weakest part of our system is the mirror monitor, the display is kinda small and picks up a lot of reflections unless I tip the mirror down.
We added a second camera to the license plate of the truck to use while hitching up. It is a "cheapie" ebay item. A simple buttom push on the monitor toggles between cameras.
Overall...
Highly recommended.
Steve
Have a link to install pics on another forum but don't know if that is cool or not.
4Jeeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #4

Thanks Steve. I also found many positive comments re Rear View Safety on rv.net forums. I placed my order.
david-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Coachmen Adrenaline

RVS 770619 from Rear view safety is what is used on the c's. it is a very good system.
jamiller45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #6

I installed a VR3 on my fifth wheel,work,s o.k while I am not moving or backing up,intermittently while driving,it will pick up radio signals from security cameras while driving...thinking of upgrading!
tom50mg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:08 PM   #7

Thanks guys, I'll probably order one up as soon as the weather permits me to install it.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #8

Swift-hitch

I bought the swifthitch wireless system,the only uni-tasker i'll have is my fire extinguisher asid that i like my stuff to do more! The cool thing about the swift hitch is is it's versatility,when i hook up my cargo trailer i put the camera above the tailgate handle (it has a magnetic base) pointing slightly out so i get not only in-line info but depth as well. When i back up my trailer i hang the camera on the back to see whats behind also when i hook up my fiver i ude it to do the same,hell i even used it to find a cap-nut under the pull-out couch for my lamp! Should really check it out!Two Loons Trading Company

Red Green:
All it takes is a little imagination,
some mechanical ability, and neighbors
who mind their own business.
MPI_Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
flyfishn

MPI Mallard Swift Hitch
I've had serveral Rear View Camera setups, and with my new 1809S, I went first with the I-Ball and sent it back (the camera/viewfinder did not work properly, and the 12V mount was too flimsy).
I went with the Swift Hitch, and love the camera quality. The only downside is that the viewfinder is a little small. I mount the viewfinder in a windshield mount cell phone hands free mount. I love the versatility of the setup. I sometimes mount the camera high on the back of the trailer, and in the city, mount it on a cargo carrier in the back. I use it to hookup the trailer, and have used it also as a secutity camera at my house and above the TT at night (it works great with infrared night vision). I purchased the model with the extended 8hr battery in the camera. The viewfinder is rated for about 4-5 hrs, but since I leave it in the 12V socket, it is not a problem. Color and image quality are excellent, and this camera will send a clear signal over 60 feet.
Prodigy P2 Blue Ox Sway Pro
gtkato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:21 AM   #10

I bought a clover wired version and installed it on my 5th wheel. i had tried a wireless camera and had issues with signal strength.

So far, it works good. i'm still not useto using it for back up; still haven't determined the side boundaries. i have also used it as a rear view camera. if they are a couple hundred feet behind u, it works well. if they are farther back, they blend into the road. it has worked well for me to tell when i have cleared another vehicle.

for backing up in low light, it is useless. if u are going to be setting up at sunset or later, i would suggest u find one that has lights on it (versions with infa red lighting are common...not hard to find).

i mounted the camera just below the rear window and ran the line thru the trailer under belly. didn't do so well threading it thru the front elevated part. that is the area where the wire is exposed. running it thru the truck was easy; just followed the other wiring thru the channel under the door.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote