Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #1

Recommend a travel planner/ membership?

We're starting to plan a cross country trip this summer from PA to Oregon/ western coast. What travel memberships would anyone recommend? We did a cross country a few years back and used Passport America then but wondering if there are any other ones ..reputable...that's out there.
TIA
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #2

I use Goodsam, KOA, AAA and ARP for discounts. Also the National Pass.
Old 12-18-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use Goodsam, KOA, AAA and ARP for discounts. Also the National Pass.
X2... same for us.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Always Learning

For folks who pay for it, they swear by RV Trip Wizard.

I personally am cheap and RVParky.com has been good for me (we fulltime and do a lot of trip planning!).

Here are more ideas:
https://learntorv.com/lets-go-trip-p...-and-websites/
Old 12-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #5

I'll add in an FMCA membership which includes travel assist and good discounts on tires etc. as well as some campground discounts.
Like others I highly recommend RV Trip Wizard for planning, searching, and booking campgrounds and the particular route you want to follow. We use primarily KOA and Good Sam campgrounds so also have those memberships. Dropped out Passport and Thousand Trails due to restrictions and too many substandard facilities.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For folks who pay for it, they swear by RV Trip Wizard.

I personally am cheap and RVParky.com has been good for me (we fulltime and do a lot of trip planning!).

Here are more ideas:
https://learntorv.com/lets-go-trip-p...-and-websites/
Excellent link, Thanks

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowPlug View Post
Excellent link, Thanks
Thanks for the kind words.

I also have an article on memberships to choose from:
https://learntorv.com/various-member...and-fulltimer/
Old 12-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #8

Koa web site has a trip planner that I use a lot. If you don't like the route they plan or you have another route similar to theirs you an drag the route around to match up with what you want.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:28 PM   #9

Rv Trip Wizard is very comprehensive. It does require an annual subscription fee, but offers some unique tools. For instance, you can decide how much time / how many miles you want to travel in a day, then display a radius around each waypoint of your route to see all types of layover locations within that radius. Personally, I prefer not to drive over 200 miles per day, although I can make about 360 miles on one tank of fuel when towing. So I set my trip up to display 3 radiuses around each waypoint, one at 200, one at 250 and one at 300 miles. I also can describe my rig and request RV routing so that an appropriate map is displayed. Then I can see the RV parks, campgrounds, fuel stops etc for each leg. There are many other tools as well. There is an online demonstration for free to understand more fully. I also use the "RV Parky" app, Harvest Hosts, Good Sam and KOA apps. I can develop a pretty decent trip plan for my purposes in this way.
wjrdmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrdmr View Post
Rv Trip Wizard is very comprehensive. It does require an annual subscription fee, but offers some unique tools. For instance, you can decide how much time / how many miles you want to travel in a day, then display a radius around each waypoint of your route to see all types of layover locations within that radius. Personally, I prefer not to drive over 200 miles per day, although I can make about 360 miles on one tank of fuel when towing. So I set my trip up to display 3 radiuses around each waypoint, one at 200, one at 250 and one at 300 miles. I also can describe my rig and request RV routing so that an appropriate map is displayed. Then I can see the RV parks, campgrounds, fuel stops etc for each leg. There are many other tools as well. There is an online demonstration for free to understand more fully. I also use the "RV Parky" app, Harvest Hosts, Good Sam and KOA apps. I can develop a pretty decent trip plan for my purposes in this way.
Used RV Trip Wizard for a year and consider it useless for anyone who does not plan out every stop and stay of their trip before leaving and stick to that plan. If you want to leave a couple of nights open for just exploring, you can't do that with the program. Every night must have a destination or the dates are off. If you make a change and cancel a reservation for a night, every remaining destination in your itinerary will move up a day to fill in the blank caused by your cancellation. You'll have to make up phantom stops to keep the program on schedule. Creates more work than it would ever be worth unless you are an RV'er who sticks obsessively with what they planned months ago.

Trip Wizard has been promising a fix to this for over two years and has apparently made no effort to create it.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

RVParky's trip planner gives you most of what you need on one screen. I use Google Maps to roughly plan the route and determine where I want to stop. I then use RVParky to automatically calculate mileage to the stops and find campgrounds, etc. I use Parky's camground reviews, but also use campgroundreviews.com for additional parks and more reviews. Parky is also fully compatible with their phone app. so changes you make on your computer show up on the app, and vice versa. I've found that no single app gives you everything, which is why I use those two, Good Sam and KOA. I'm also a member of FMCA for other benefits. Right now I've got a circle trip from NJ to AZ planned for the Spring on RV Parky. I can add or subtract stops, change preliminary campgrounds (or Walmarts, etc.), modify routing, see total mileage, etc. with just a few clicks. Besides all that, its free (Which is why I use other review sites as well, because nothing in webworld is really free).
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #12
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

I use Good Sam, Google and Google maps. Ain't nuttin' like "street view" to look at that intersection or gas station service aisles. Satellite view will tell you a lot about a campground, too.
But the tool I've found to be most helpful are the forum members who live, work, travel and camp on my target route and at my destinations. Yowza, when someone comes back atcha with, "I drove through there last week …" or "We stayed there last month..." you can't buy that kind of help on Amazon. Ain't no app for that.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #13

We have memberships in KOA, Good Sam and FMCA (for their medical travel insurance) and Coach-net for our roadside assistance.

For route planning, we tend to use our Garmin 760 and Google as well as the app Park Advisor to find camping spots, rest areas and places like WalMart.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #14

Good Sam, KOA, AAA, AARP and the National Parks Pass.
I like using Roadtrippers for routing and collateral information and Google Maps when planning, as well as https://www.mapdevelopers.com/register.php to plot radii of the daily driving...Campground Reviews is very informative. I'm too close to my wallet for Trip Wizard and am anal enough to find the little bit of time I spend planning heightens my curiosity and increases my knowledge of the area. But heck, I've always been nerdy and like looking at maps...
RPOD 180 and Ford XLT 150 5.0
Craig and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks for the kind words.

I also have an article on memberships to choose from:
https://learntorv.com/various-member...and-fulltimer/
Another good read and the research provided is valuable.
Your website looks to be full of information as well.
Thanks Agin for the research and the links you provided.

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel