Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #1

Recommendations for pickup bed-mounted blackwater holding tank?

I'm looking to mount a Barker-like blackwater holding tank in my pickup truck bed (actually mount to a sheet of plywood to allow easy slide in, slide out). All the wheels and towing bells and whistles are superfluous. And a "horrizontal" tank eats up too much bed space.

We like to setup and stay put for a while between moves. I have solutions for every other "restocking" challenge, so blackwater is my last barrier to overcome. My plan is to use a macerator pump to transfer waste into the holding tank, and then dump at a dump station or in my home sewer cleanout.

I boondock, so there are no convenient dump stations to which to tow a conventional Barker-style tank.

My vision is something akin to a bed-mounted fuel tank but dedicated to blackwater...with three connection points.
1) conventional stinky-slinky connection;
2) 3/4" garden hose input from macerator pump;
3) air vent.

Any leads?
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I don’t think the mascerator will pump uphill that high.

If it does, it won’t for long.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:01 AM   #3

I remember reading a thread on here where someone built a black water containment and transport similar to what you are wanting to do. Seems to me he built his with a collapsible bladder. Try search on this forum or maybe that person will see this post and respond.
2020 F350 SRW Crew Cab
si camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #4
Have Camera will Travel

I think you have a lot of options. You could use a bed mount fuel tank and have the extra fittings welded in or look at marine tanks and see if one would fit.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:48 AM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

While I typically fill my sewer bladder with the tailgate open, I've done it many times with the the tailgate closed and had to go up over the bed rail. I can't hear nor feel any kind of difference in the macerator pump and I've pumped literally thousands of gallons with mine.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #6
Always Learning

As for the OP, why not consider a 55 gallon drum? You can customize the outputs to suit you and you could put in a 3" sewer fitting.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

I have done something similar with good results.

I cant elaborate at the moment. In a hurry. Will reply later.

U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 03:37 PM   #8
Member: Old Man Club

Have you checked into an electric tailgate? Would solve the issue of the pump going kablooey on you. I don't know how expensive they are, but that seems the safest way to transport the icky stuff in your truckbed. Just a thought.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post

If you're talking just up to a pickup bed mounted tank I do it all the time.

I have a 28 gallon Rhino tank I keep in my pickup bed and a Flojet macerator pump that pumps waste up to that level with no issues whatever.

The actual "pump" in the flojet macerator unit is a positive displacement design with rubber impellers that easily lift the liquid that distance and perhaps even several times higher. I notice no strain at all when pumping.

There may be cheaper "pumps" as well as those that are adapted from other uses (like garbage disposals) that might not be up to the task but I can attest that pumping up into a pickup bed is no problem for a Flowjet.

I've read several accounts where people have pumped waste uphill with a total "lift" around 20 feet or more using flowjet macerator pumps. Up into a pickup bed, even over the closed tailgate, should be no problem.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

I have a 28 gallon Rhino tank I keep in my pickup bed and a Flojet macerator pump that pumps waste up to that level with no issues whatever.

The actual "pump" in the flojet macerator unit is a positive displacement design with rubber impellers that easily lift the liquid that distance and perhaps even several times higher. I notice no strain at all when pumping.

There may be cheaper "pumps" as well as those that are adapted from other uses (like garbage disposals) that might not be up to the task but I can attest that pumping up into a pickup bed is no problem for a Flowjet.

I've read several accounts where people have pumped waste uphill with a total "lift" around 20 feet or more using flowjet macerator pumps. Up into a pickup bed, even over the closed tailgate, should be no problem.
Agree, I pump into a 28 gal Rhino in the back of my truck bed no issues.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #11

What do you guys with the tanks in the back of your truck use to then dump those tanks? Just a longer dump hose?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #12

I just use the same hose I'd use if dumping the trailer. Long enough to reach dump station opening when truck is parked with tailgate next to drain.

My Rhino tanks dump valve sits just inside the tailgate.

Old 09-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
What do you guys with the tanks in the back of your truck use to then dump those tanks? Just a longer dump hose?
My bladder resides closest to the tail gate. I just use a 10’ hose.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:57 PM   #14

Quote:

TitanMike
An old thread...revisiting the concept.
I looked at the Camco Rhino tank, and it has a side dump. As does the 36 gallon tank. So does the comparable RecPro.
It seems that all the large tanks, other than Thetford, have side dumps with gate valves. The Thetford tanks don't have great ratings, and their main dump "shut off" seems to be just folding the dump hose upright.

How do you deal with this? I envision having to attach the stinky slinky to the gate valve..."sideways" in the truck bed. I think I might have to climb into the truck bed to make the connection, and at age 75, climbing into the truck bed is becoming a challenge.

I was envisioning using the tank without wheels...maybe using the wheel attachment points to anchor to a sheet of plywood.

So how do you manage this?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2024, 07:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
TitanMike
An old thread...revisiting the concept.
I looked at the Camco Rhino tank, and it has a side dump. As does the 36 gallon tank. So does the comparable RecPro.
It seems that all the large tanks, other than Thetford, have side dumps with gate valves. The Thetford tanks don't have great ratings, and their main dump "shut off" seems to be just folding the dump hose upright.

How do you deal with this? I envision having to attach the stinky slinky to the gate valve..."sideways" in the truck bed. I think I might have to climb into the truck bed to make the connection, and at age 75, climbing into the truck bed is becoming a challenge.

I was envisioning using the tank without wheels...maybe using the wheel attachment points to anchor to a sheet of plywood.

So how do you manage this?

Thanks!
My tank fits "crosswise" in the pickup bed so the gate valve faces the open rear of the bed when tailgate is open. Only reaching i have to do is across the open tailgate.

To keep the tank in place I just run a ratchet strap from each of the rear anchor loops in the rear corners of the bed and it keeps the tank from sliding forward should i have to brake hard.

PS: I just turned 81 this year and getting up into the bed is definitely harder than it used to be. I now keep a three step folding kitchen "stool/ladder" in the truck for just such occasions.

Old 03-28-2024, 11:04 AM   #16

Quote:
My tank fits "crosswise" in the pickup bed so the gate valve faces the open rear of the bed when tailgate is open. Only reaching i have to do is across the open tailgate.

To keep the tank in place I just run a ratchet strap from each of the rear anchor loops in the rear corners of the bed and it keeps the tank from sliding forward should i have to brake hard.

PS: I just turned 81 this year and getting up into the bed is definitely harder than it used to be. I now keep a three step folding kitchen "stool/ladder" in the truck for just such occasions.
Thanks so much!"
My wife and I still do consulting work. We're looking into Starlink to enable us to "almost" full time it this summer. Internet and the black tank are the barriers, because we camp lakeside in NFS campgrounds. Several years ago, the camp host would "cheat" and unlock the cleanout to the vault toilets, and I could use a 15 gallon Rhino to do a partial dump. But that camp host got scolded for allowing this, and now camp hosts are schooled on not allowing this practice. (He didn't get in real trouble...he's still a camp host at the campground of his choosing. )

Plus the partial dump was troublesome for several reasons...not the least of which was that I could not risk adding freshwater to the toilet to help move things along...because the 15 gallon Rhino could be overwhelmed in an instant through that 3" hose.

The Flojet to truck mounted tank is more controlled, and I can use a 5 gallon bucket of water (from the campground hydrant) to move things along. I have two handy sewer cleanouts at home, so the dump will be easy...and there are two RV parks within about 5 or 6 miles that would accept it, too.

Is there a reason you chose the Rhino over the RecPro? I'm familiar with my little Rhino, and I like the way they are built. And the "wheels optional" on the Rhino is desirable...don't want the wheels.

Again, I sincerely appreciate your counsel and experience.

I'm eyeballing these "tire stairs" for my pickup. I have no trouble once I'm up on the top of the tire, but it's getting to be a struggle to pull myself up to the top of the tire. Where we camp, it's fairly primitive, and nothing's level, so setting up any kind of stepladder is a struggle. These seem as if they'd be very secure.

Tags
bed, black, mount, tank, water