Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #21

Reserve America is an efficient and easy on line booking. However...What is really lousy is what is already noted. The cancellation or the no shows of so many sites is extremely frustrating. I’ve been on line 9 months in advance for NYS DEC sites (we prefer no services) and they are all booked. We especially look for direct water (kayak) sites. We arrive at CG for my reserved site and see that the site I really wanted remained vacant all week!! Exhausting time on line ending in disappointment at the site.....grrrrrrr. Open for suggestions
Poper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:05 AM   #22

I've found that reserving a site for a specific 'number of consecutive days' in most any of these reservation systems is problematic. The system is looking for a site that is not booked on ANY of the days you input, yet there may be plenty of sites that would work that are not all available consecutively, yet you could easily move from one to another during the stay and still be fine.

What I'd like their systems to do is realize that folks MIGHT not have a problem with moving from site to site, if needed for a longer stay, and make that a OPTION within the system to show on the reservation screen. It really is simply 'breaking up' the consecutive days into several 'blocks' of days and internally searching for those days within the 'open' sites.

GEORGIA has started changing to a 'reservation by site only' system recently, as their state parks had always been 'pick your site' when you arrive type of reservation, as the reservation only guaranteed you a 'spot', not a specific site. Some folks love this as it makes reservations actually much easier to everyone involved, but some DON'T like it because you may not find any site to your liking when you arrive.
One benefit, though, that it sometimes lost in translation, is that you can always 'move' to a vacant site anytime during your stay, if someone leaves, or even moves to a different site themselves.

We've staying in so many parks, campgrounds, and the like that we've seen it all. I'll have to say that while I actually 'like' arriving and 'picking my own site', there's also an advantage to making site specific reservations, for other reasons. If you like to be 'on the water', you'll certainly appreciate advanced site reservations, and if you're comfortable with just 'having a spot', then picking a vacant site will work just as well.

All in all, when I use reserveAmerica or similar sites, I start by only inputing a SINGLE night's stay. This reveals quickly anything available around my timeframe, and then I get a much better idea of the availability of the park. Then, using 'availability dates' will render the 'A' available sites and dates, and I can 'break up' my reservation to what works, even if I have to 'move' during the stay. Sometimes two days here, three days there, or only a single night to start, and then two somewhere else in the park.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:09 AM   #23

In 6 years using Reserve America (RA) for Florida State Parks (FSP), I have not observed the OP’s so-called “discrepancies.” I find most reserved sites actually occupied when shown unavailable. The OP doesn’t provide enough timing, location or other details to conclude whether RA is at fault. I once had a problem, but what looked like an RA problem was actually the state’s failure to authorize RA reservations beyond 12/31. Lower level RA employees were NOT helpful and were VERY hard to get past (didn’t care), and local State Park employees did not know how to help. When I finally reached the right RA official, she helped me reach the responsible state official in Tallahassee, and they fixed the issue in a few hours by issuing the necessary authorization to make the sites available on the RA site.

The reservation policies and rules are imposed by each state or jurisdiction, not RA, so experiences are variable among jurisdictions.
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsteele View Post

***I tried to get one of the sites that showed available, but as soon as I pressed "Book these dates" button it immediately showed that it was already reserved. I repeated this three more times with other sites that showed available and with the same result***

One suspicious thing, though. For one of the sites that showed available but then came back "unavailable" we looked for the next available date. It was 6 weeks out! How is that possible?
If you are not the FIRST to hit the “Book These Dates” button, the result will be a rejection (“unavailable”). Most likely someone beat you to it. Same for the other sites. Although frustrating, no irregularity is indicated.

As for the “suspicious thing,” sites may be blocked for maintenance, campground hosts, or any number of other special circumstances based on your specific jurisdiction’s policy. Someone may have beat you to the punch and taken all available days leading up to a blocked period.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
In 6 years using Reserve America (RA) for Florida State Parks (FSP), I have not observed the OP’s so-called “discrepancies.” I find most reserved sites actually occupied when shown unavailable. The OP doesn’t provide enough timing, location or other details to conclude whether RA is at fault. I once had a problem, but what looked like an RA problem was actually the state’s failure to authorize RA reservations beyond 12/31. Lower level RA employees were NOT helpful and were VERY hard to get past (didn’t care), and local State Park employees did not know how to help. When I finally reached the right RA official, she helped me reach the responsible state official in Tallahassee, and they fixed the issue in a few hours by issuing the necessary authorization to make the sites available on the RA site.

The reservation policies and rules are imposed by each state or jurisdiction, not RA, so experiences are variable among jurisdictions.
Your comment "I have not observed the OP’s so-called discrepancies. I find MOST reserved sites actually occupied when shown unavailable" tells me you have observed this as well. I too find most reserved sites occupied.

I think you may have also meant to say "sites occupied when shown RESERVED" instead of unavailable. I don't think you can reserve a site that's not available online.
gpaw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
. . .

All in all, when I use reserveAmerica or similar sites, I start by only inputing a SINGLE night's stay. This reveals quickly anything available around my timeframe, and then I get a much better idea of the availability of the park. Then, using 'availability dates' will render the 'A' available sites and dates, and I can 'break up' my reservation to what works, even if I have to 'move' during the stay. Sometimes two days here, three days there, or only a single night to start, and then two somewhere else in the park.
This a great recommendation. Once you get a date that works you can easily check surrounding dates to see if you could use them. Thanks for the tip -- I never thought of doing that.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
My guess is many times people will reserve a site early to grab it while their planned arrival date is a day later. In other cases, people reserve knowing they really want the site days later. They wait and then cancel their unwanted days at the last minute.
It seems to be people gaming the system. I talked with the camp host on my last trip and he had it figured out. I have 45 days scheduled this year and may get more if the wife can stand camping for that long. That being said, the camp host said he had more cancellations the two weeks we were at that camp ground than he had all of the previous year. With gas prices as high as they expect them to go there may be more cancellations this year.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:08 AM   #28

I ended up using the reserve America site in March for April and it was fine. The place I was using it for has a 4 night minimum during peak season but after June 1 they go to a 1 night minimum. They are normally booked a year in advance. Which means a 4 night minimum which also means cancelations
Junior11478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:38 AM   #29

Had the same issue. Site showed nothing available, but called the park and they had lots available. Booked it on the phone.
6.7 TD Super Crew
"Go Navy"
logspec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaw56 View Post
Am I the only one or has anyone else noticed discrepancies on these sites? I'll make a reservation based on availability at a location and upon arriving I find numerous sites open although the reservation site shows them booked. I understand people's plans change and have to cancel but I'm talking numerous empty spots for multiple days. Not a big deal when I have a spot, but may have preferred a different one. Also folks wanting to make a reservation but see "booked" and go elsewhere.

Really makes me question the how well the sites are maintained...
Yep, seems as if the Ranger's won't use their computers and use real time data for reserving sites... Not the Parks I remember as a kid! By the way the keep "walk up" sites open, you must ask for them.
jregar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 AM   #31

We passed thru Jasper Alberta Canada, on the way back from Alaska, and checked out the campground near the Skyway tram, called Whistlers. I called the reservations number and they said they were full. I figured this going in, as this is the high season, but I also know that many sites can have cancellations, and asked if any cancellations would allow me to have a vacant site for the night.
Nope. They take cancellations, but don't open up the sites on their reservations site until the next day. But, when you go to the reservations site the next day, they don't allow 'same day' reservations!
I asked the reservations customer service person about this, but all I got was that that's the way their system is designed. I asked if I could call or go by the campground itself and get a site directly, but she said that they don't do reservations at the grounds, it has to be done online or by phone with their 800 number. : /

Vacant sites galore.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #32

With just a $10 cancellation fee, there’s no real penalty for canceling or no-showing. Raise the cancellation fee to $50 or $75 and people wouldn’t be so cavalier about booking 6 months in advance and then no-showing.
Tcfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #33

I have had these problems too. Seems as if 1/2 the sites are empty (Cypress Glenn nr Brooksville) is one example. When I was there for 3 days saw 10 sites empty, and when I asked to move to the "Ranger Volunteer" said he couldn't do anything as the reservations were controlled by Reserve America. One site (Croom nr Brooksville) I used Reserve America and when I got there the site was so eroded a travel trailer couldn't be set up!! They were uncooperative and gave excusses "I can't change a reservation once its made" and "You have to contact Reserve America to change sites or cancel" (oh really, like how, there is no WiFi anywhere in the woods) I was very upset and continue to see how the Park Rangers aren't what they use to be, when they had control of the check in and reservations. Reserve America software should allow for instant up dates, changes, and allow the local Rangers input to "on the ground" sites and no shows.
jregar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #34

I agree, when you have little incentive to try to receive a refund, of some sort at least, there's little reason to call in or go online and cancel you stay.

I almost wish there was a requirement to go online and confirm your arrival at certain 'date' points along the way. If you fail to, the site gets reassigned back into the system as open for those dates, and the original reservation gets a refund minus a night's stay, or something like that. Just a thought.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:19 AM   #35

I asked a ranger about it. He said they do not always release all of the reservations to Reserve America. He went on to say the percentage changes, depending on the holidays, time of year, etc. I think someone already said, they keep a couple of sites open, in case there is a problem with a particular site, a patron has maintenance issues and can't move, etc. It probably isn't the same story everywhere, but at least it was the story for this particular park.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #36

Yes, we see the same problem. Sites are only reserveble 6 months before arrival. Our research discovered that people are booking several weeks in advance then canceling the days/weeks they don't actually want. Sites with canceled reservations do not list immediately.

Example. Let's say you want memorial day weekend. The sites are not available for reservations until 6 months out. To make sure these selfish A-holes get their desired weekend they will book the site 1 or 2 weeks early by booking the previous 1 or 2 weeks they do not actually want. Then they will cancel the days they don't want. Again the now available sites are not immediately listed as available.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 AM   #37

One way to stop these ghost reservations is to offer no refund for partial cancelations. If you book 7 days you pay for 7 days...even if you only use 3 days. You want a refund? Sure, cancel the whole week and start over.
JCDMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaw56 View Post
Your comment "I have not observed the OP’s so-called discrepancies. I find MOST reserved sites actually occupied when shown unavailable" tells me you have observed this as well. I too find most reserved sites occupied.

I think you may have also meant to say "sites occupied when shown RESERVED" instead of unavailable. I don't think you can reserve a site that's not available online.
NO.I said what I meant to say, exactly stating my actual experience based on the way RA ACTUALLY works in Florida. Perhaps your misunderstanding arises because RA’s rejection states the site is “Unavailable” when you actually have already been beaten out by another, as further explained below.

In Florida, on the RA reservation system, when you hit “Book These Dates” after the site is taken, the message you see is “Inventory is not available. Site cannot be booked.” Perhaps RA should say “The site is already booked” or “Reserved,” but it doesn’t. My experience is exactly as stated. When someone beats me to a site, the RA message is “UNAVAILABLE.” When I arrive at the campsite, I find the sites stated to be “Unavailable,” are actually occupied.

Reading the immediately following post (#24): “If you are not the FIRST to hit the “Book These Dates” button, the result will be a rejection (“unavailable”). Most likely someone beat you to it. Same for the other sites. Although frustrating, no irregularity is indicated.” Also, in the post you question, I stated: " I find most reserved sites actually occupied when shown unavailable."

I have not observed the discrepancies the OP and others have perceived. My experience is that the RA site works as stated in Florida and exhibits NO suspicious activity. I am not at all sure what you think that I have observed or why you think I have observed something other than my actual observations.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
NO.I said what I meant to say, exactly stating my actual experience based on the way RA ACTUALLY works in Florida. Perhaps your misunderstanding arises because RA’s rejection states the site is “Unavailable” when you actually have already been beaten out by another, as further explained below.

In Florida, on the RA reservation system, when you hit “Book These Dates” after the site is taken, the message you see is “Inventory is not available. Site cannot be booked.” Perhaps RA should say “The site is already booked” or “Reserved,” but it doesn’t. My experience is exactly as stated. When someone beats me to a site, the RA message is “UNAVAILABLE.” When I arrive at the campsite, I find the sites stated to be “Unavailable,” are actually occupied.

Reading the immediately following post (#24): “If you are not the FIRST to hit the “Book These Dates” button, the result will be a rejection (“unavailable”). Most likely someone beat you to it. Same for the other sites. Although frustrating, no irregularity is indicated.” Also, in the post you question, I stated: " I find most reserved sites actually occupied when shown unavailable."

I have not observed the discrepancies the OP and others have perceived. My experience is that the RA site works as stated in Florida and exhibits NO suspicious activity. I am not at all sure what you think that I have observed or why you think I have observed something other than my actual observations.
I think it's a matter of semantics. When RA says to you a site is "unavailable" it doesn't necessarily mean it's unavailable to all people but only to you because someone else has booked it (or part of it) before you OR it means some dates in your inclusive dates have been booked by someone else. For example; if your dates are the 6th through the 12th and someone has already booked it for the 8th and 9th RA will tell it's unavailable, but in reality the 6th, 7th, 10th, 11th and 12th ARE available. RA probably doesn't have a sofisticated enough software program to give you all that information.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
I think it's a matter of semantics. When RA says to you a site is "unavailable" it doesn't necessarily mean it's unavailable to all people but only to you because someone else has booked it (or part of it) before you OR it means some dates in your inclusive dates have been booked by someone else. For example; if your dates are the 6th through the 12th and someone has already booked it for the 8th and 9th RA will tell it's unavailable, but in reality the 6th, 7th, 10th, 11th and 12th ARE available. RA probably doesn't have a sofisticated enough software program to give you all that information.
YES. On RA, typically "Unavailable" means "Booked." If you use RA's "Date Range Availability" feature, you can see exactly which dates are booked for which sites, so it seems possible to book different sites at the same campground as available to meet your entire duration. Not that I have actually tried to do that, but it seems eminently doable.