Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #41

There system is not responsive to the user, cost me more money because their designers are only looking at making money (software). CANCELATIONS is a donation to them, Period. If there is a chance you may cancel Don't make the reservation. Hence why when you get there is so many open places because system doesn't work for you the user. Keep calling them and complain to the regional managers as often as you can to change it to responded to us the users so there will be openings that can be used. Not half empty when you get there like it is now.

If you cancel, something happens and you have to leave less then 2 days, it is a donation to them. Ok but let some one else use it since I paid for it. Nothing happens the place sits empty, system doesn't allow it to show it is free, cost me dearly because the system is flawed trying to cancel. Tryed to get an answer they would not call me back twice.
MTclaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #42

"Unavailable" can also mean "A walk-up site but currently occupied", I believe.

Could be wrong.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:02 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTclaim View Post
There system is not responsive to the user, cost me more money because their designers are only looking at making money (software). CANCELATIONS is a donation to them, Period. If there is a chance you may cancel Don't make the reservation. Hence why when you get there is so many open places because system doesn't work for you the user. Keep calling them and complain to the regional managers as often as you can to change it to responded to us the users so there will be openings that can be used. Not half empty when you get there like it is now.

If you cancel, something happens and you have to leave less then 2 days, it is a donation to them. Ok but let some one else use it since I paid for it. Nothing happens the place sits empty, system doesn't allow it to show it is free, cost me dearly because the system is flawed trying to cancel. Tryed to get an answer they would not call me back twice.
I see this is your first post here. Welcome.

Your comment will be more useful if you reveal to which Reservation System and Park Jurisdictions you refer.

Reserve America (RA) handles many Jurisdictions. My RA experience is limited to Florida State Parks (FSP). Your descriptions cannot be reconciled with my experience. Here, RA refunds are available as stated in the RA Refund Policy for FSP. Changes are allowed even after you arrive at the park, and refunds are allowed for unused days when you check out early.

For a properly requested refund, YOU WILL GET ALL YOUR MONEY BACK for unused dates, less the following fees: Reservation Fee: $6.70; Cancellation Fee: $17.50; Change Fee: $10.00.

This seems reasonable to me, and I have received many refunds. I have noted that dates I cancel do reappear for reservation shortly after being cancelled so that others may use them as desired.

For more information:
https://www.floridastateparks.org/co...on-information
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaw56 View Post
Am I the only one or has anyone else noticed discrepancies on these sites? I'll make a reservation based on availability at a location and upon arriving I find numerous sites open although the reservation site shows them booked. I understand people's plans change and have to cancel but I'm talking numerous empty spots for multiple days. Not a big deal when I have a spot, but may have preferred a different one. Also folks wanting to make a reservation but see "booked" and go elsewhere.

Really makes me question the how well the sites are maintained...
I agree. We have found the same thing when trying to book a reservation
thegoodlife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #45

I have no problems with changes and cancellations. I recommend it highly.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moon View Post
I see this is your first post here. Welcome.

Your comment will be more useful if you reveal to which Reservation System and Park Jurisdictions you refer.

Reserve America (RA) handles many Jurisdictions. My RA experience is limited to Florida State Parks (FSP). Your descriptions cannot be reconciled with my experience. Here, RA refunds are available as stated in the RA Refund Policy for FSP. Changes are allowed even after you arrive at the park, and refunds are allowed for unused days when you check out early.

For a properly requested refund, YOU WILL GET ALL YOUR MONEY BACK for unused dates, less the following fees: Reservation Fee: $6.70; Cancellation Fee: $17.50; Change Fee: $10.00.

This seems reasonable to me, and I have received many refunds. I have noted that dates I cancel do reappear for reservation shortly after being cancelled so that others may use them as desired.

For more information:
https://www.floridastateparks.org/co...on-information
I agree completely. I've even left my site because of horrible weather without even telling the Ranger and I've received a refund (much to my surprise!) for the days I didn't stay. I feel RA is not the problem but most likely with the people trying to use it. When I first started using RA I found it to be somewhat awkward and not extremely user-friendly but with lots of trial and error, it became easier to use.

At least here in Florida, I couldn't be happier! And yes I have not always been successful in getting the park and site I want, but that's the name of the game. You have to know exactly when you need to book, i.e. the day and minute/second the window of opportunity opens. Other campers are doing the same thing looking for the same park as you but maybe signing up a couple of seconds before you -- it's that sensitive.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 PM   #47

Agree I have been to camp grounds before that showed full. I expected to get a walk up if available but they were all taken with plenty of reservables open.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
I think the game is that you need to keep checking as time goes on so if anyone changes anything you have a shot at it.
Just had this happen for Memorial Day weekend. In Feb couldn't find anything w/electric in a 3hr radius of home. Took a non-electric site at park A. Ranger called me last week wanting to move us and pointed out non-elec. Dodged my questioning why. Told him I'd prefer electric but nothing showing. Yesterday I get notice they changed our site but its still non-elec. Whole thing made us nervous; why the move w/out giving reason?

So I started looking again at parks. Found an electric site at park B that was booked a month ago. So grabbed it and canx park A.

Have trip planned this summer and several non-electric sites booked but now going to keep watching those parks for availabilty of power.

2018 Ford F350 Platinum
2018 Brookstone 395RL
Nights camping 2018: 28
cbrown.tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:35 PM   #49

My issue with Reserve America is their information on site sizes. I think that some of their sites were measured by someone who cut 15 feet off the beginning of his tape measure.

My overall length is 45 feet, truck and trailer. A site I reserved was supposed to accommodate both. When I got there I found I had to disconnect and park the truck at right angle to the trailer and even then it would barely fit in the site and not block part of the road.

It appeared that someone had put a concrete curb stop in the wrong spot.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #50
Site Team

Yes. I've experienced that a few times at Buffalo Point cg in Buffalo River National Park in Arkansas.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshe1436 View Post
I think it's a matter of semantics. When RA says to you a site is "unavailable" it doesn't necessarily mean it's unavailable to all people but only to you because someone else has booked it (or part of it) before you OR it means some dates in your inclusive dates have been booked by someone else. For example; if your dates are the 6th through the 12th and someone has already booked it for the 8th and 9th RA will tell it's unavailable, but in reality the 6th, 7th, 10th, 11th and 12th ARE available. RA probably doesn't have a sofisticated enough software program to give you all that information.

moshe1436 has it figured out correctly Play with the website, it's not intuitive, but one can find out exactly which days are reserved for each site. I've used RA since it came out 10 years or more ago. RA sure beats the old days of seeing the "no vacancy" sign after driving hours to a camp ground, or a number of people circling around a campground trying to find a site they like then go back to the check in booth to reserve it.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #52

Thumbs down Reserve.gov/Reserve America

One of many beefs other than RA being a Canadian Co. reserving AMERICA is that many people will reserve every week end thru out the summer essentially tying up long term blocks of rentals with very little consequences for cancellations for those week ends they don't use. Kinda kills any 14 day limits at most campgrounds. This definitly needs to be addressed.
Grunter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #53

I fully understand why there is a reservation system for those people who are able to know far in advance when they will need a site, however, there are also people who do not have the luxury knowing months in advance when they will be able to go camping. As it stands now RA caters mostly to the first group of people. Many of the NF campgrounds in Idaho are reserve only, with no walk-in sites. When you look at the RA website and all the spaces are reserved and later go to those campgrounds many times more than half of the reserved sites are empty, and stay that way for the full period of the reservation. This, in effect, has made most of the local NF campgrounds unavailable to walk-ins on the weekends because once the site is reserved no one will open it for either love or money. So because of the reservation system many people are denied a campsite on the weekends and the campgrounds go half empty. As I said I understand the need for a reservation system but lets make it fair or at least less biased. The RA rules need to be changed!! In my opinion all NF campgrounds need to keep a certain percent of sites open to walk-ins, say somewhere around 50%. The reservation rules should be similar to the hotel industry, if you do not cancel prior to 48 hours in advance you lose your money, you must be at the camp site by a certain hour, or call in to let them know you will be late, if not your site will be given to someone who can use it and you do not get a refund. Additionally, not all sites should be allowed to be reserved for the weekends only, there should always be a few which can be reserved for more than a 7 day week. As it stands now the person who wants to spend more than 5 days camping in a NF campground is mostly out of luck. In all fairness I will have to say that there are a few NF campgrounds which reserve a few walk-in sites. It is difficult to accommodate everyone and every circumstance, however, our National Forest should be more flexible to allow the greatest number of people to enjoy the great outdoors and not allow so many camp sites to go empty, when there are people who are ready willing and able to use them.

2017 Flagstaff Shamrock 21ss pulled by a 2007 Ford F150 XLT 4X4
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #54

There are not enough campsites

I don't know how to fix this--- there are too many campers and not enough campsites. The computerized systems are nice. BUT I have tried for months to get a spot at Bahia Honda state campground in the Fl Keys every day for months and in 10 seconds every day all the sites are gone. I am a Fl resident and cannot get into a nice Fl campground. Residents should have first pick and some sort of waiting list to eventually get in.
mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:00 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
I don't know how to fix this--- there are too many campers and not enough campsites. The computerized systems are nice. BUT I have tried for months to get a spot at Bahia Honda state campground in the Fl Keys every day for months and in 10 seconds every day all the sites are gone. I am a Fl resident and cannot get into a nice Fl campground. Residents should have first pick and some sort of waiting list to eventually get in.
Booking in the Florida keys is very hard after Hurricane Irma. Bahia Honda has reduced sites available, Long Key SP campground, KOA , and several privates are still closed, gone , or under renovation. Much less capacity so much more competition for the campground sites still available. They were tough to book before the site shortage. Hopefully things will improve by next winter.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #56

Reservations

We have the same problems in Canada with reservations. I see a need for some reservations but they are public camp-grounds. When you are camped you should be able to be in a site that is not available for reservations so the retired dudes don't have leave on the week end that someone has booked for two days.
Roy and Sheila Pidgeon
Leroy Pidgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #57

I suggest calling the company an asking them. I have been using Reserve America for years and have had really good luck. Sometimes I call them with a question and find them very helpful. You might even ask at the local park why this happens, but the local person might not know.
Wishart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #58

I am a Florida resident and have few problems. The Keys after the hurricane yes. I already have a week planed for December 2018 and a week in January, February, and March 2019. Guess I will work on April tomorrow.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #59

Yes we have had the same experience. We think we are getting the last available site and when we get there the whole campground is nearly vacant the whole time we’re there.
Dewayne441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
moshe1436 has it figured out correctly Play with the website, it's not intuitive, but one can find out exactly which days are reserved for each site. I've used RA since it came out 10 years or more ago. RA sure beats the old days of seeing the "no vacancy" sign after driving hours to a camp ground, or a number of people circling around a campground trying to find a site they like then go back to the check in booth to reserve it.
x2
Slow Moon is offline   Reply With Quote