Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #1

Recumbent trike? -Touring the campgrounds

Does anyone pedal themselves around using a recumbent trike? If so, I'd like some info regarding brands, likes/dislikes and maybe what to watch for.
Duramax/Allison
Full timers since 5/30/2013
OL Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
Site Team

Just changed the subject line so maybe now someone will see and reply?
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

arjerram. I don't have any actual experience, but thought I'd try and help anyhow. I've researched recumbent trikes myself, and found out a couple things. First and foremost, they are very expensive. The "cheapest" trikes I've found start at $700, but quickly go up when you start looking at options that make the bike more useful. The other thing I've found is that a lot of recumbent trikes are built for racing/touring and are in the $3500 range. Very light weight, etc. Try terratrike.com for a start. Hope this helps.
Popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #4

I always thought they looked very comfortable, and would be a lot easier on my back. But I wouldn't ride one anywhere there was auto traffic, as they are so low to the ground, and some idiot driver would eventually run right over me.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
MI Camperz

I'm a pretty experienced cyclist and when I belonged to a club, there were a few. Also, I've been on many week-long bike tours. Many on tour had these. I've seen them on day tours or week-long tours, trekking 60 miles a day. So, there's no limit.
They are harder on the up-hills cuz you can't stand.
Easier on the back and that's the main reason they got them.
You are low and that impairs how visible you are to traffic....please please please get a fluorescent flag on a tall stick to wave above you for cars to see.
Yes, they are expensive, but most serious bikes are.
Just because you're "sitting", doesn't excuse you from a helmet, plz.

In general, cycling is great exercise and low impact. I've known many people in their 70s who ride centuries.....that's 100 miles in a day. Can't do that with many other sports because injuries will get you before that.
Brands: Trek is my favorite, but we currently own Specialized...more for the money. Trek, IMO, has outpriced themselves because of the fame garnered from Armstrong. I'm not as in love with my Specialized though as I was my Trek, so maybe that's a lesson. But like many industries, all the key parts come from limited makers and are assembled by the mfgrs...kind of like RVs. Buying a bike gets very complicated when you get into specifics of materials and grades. Test drive!!
Old 04-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
MI Camperz

Okay, can't help myself.
If you're going to do limited riding, start with a steal alloy (chromoly). Most comfortable because it's "flexible" albeit a little heavy, but priced lower, and you don't need anything better for small to medium rides. Aluminum is super light, but not as "flexible", so you'll feel bumps more. Carbon is supreme....light, flexible, the envy of cyclists, but expect to pay about $5k.
Don't get the lowest grade de-railers in the class...you'll get frustrated at how catchy they are in shifting. For limited riding, don't get top of the line either...oy....do they get expensive!
Warning: Cycling is addictive. With my first bike, started three miles at a time.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

Is it the fact that you can sit down and not worry about balance that you find the trike attractive?
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

I saw one of these the other day in our town. If I had the extra money i would look at getting one for me and the DW.

Found these at: Adult Tricycles, Recumbent Trikes, Industrial Trikes, Bikes

Or this looks cool.

vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #9
Site Team

The problem to me at least is these 2 pictured trikes are huge. How to you
take one camping??
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I always thought they looked very comfortable, and would be a lot easier on my back. But I wouldn't ride one anywhere there was auto traffic, as they are so low to the ground, and some idiot driver would eventually run right over me.
My neighbor has a hand crank trike that he regularly rides on the street. He has two orange flags attached to poles on the back for visibility. But from the perspective of a auto driver, seeing orange flags coming down the street does not register with the brain the same as seeing a bike. Most of us look for familiar dangers and don't always recognize unfamiliar signs for what they are as quickly. It takes a few seconds for the flags to catch the drivers attention so the rider needs to be extra cautious.

My neighbor regularly does 20 mile rides with his hand crank trike. The guy has amazing shoulders. I am not sure I could keep up with him on my bike.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:17 AM   #11
MI Camperz

Tell me about it. I ride a road bike and with hills and curves in the road, It's scarey! Especially now a days with cell phones, etc. and distracted drivers.
At home, I have 20 miles or more of bike path, but out in the world, it's usually the Road!
Old 04-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Site Team

I like the folding trike at Camping World but it's still a lot of money. I like the concept of it for several reasons including being able to carry firewood from the ranger booth if need be. While CW did say it is returnable I don't know if I could get my money worth out of it or not. Someday I will try to rent a trike and see how I like it for getting around the campground.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Okay, can't help myself.
If you're going to do limited riding, start with a steal alloy (chromoly). Most comfortable because it's "flexible" albeit a little heavy, but priced lower, and you don't need anything better for small to medium rides. Aluminum is super light, but not as "flexible", so you'll feel bumps more. Carbon is supreme....light, flexible, the envy of cyclists, but expect to pay about $5k.
Don't get the lowest grade de-railers in the class...you'll get frustrated at how catchy they are in shifting. For limited riding, don't get top of the line either...oy....do they get expensive!
Warning: Cycling is addictive. With my first bike, started three miles at a time.
I use bike fridays in the camper and a vintage road bike at home. Best bike builder in the world is in Swartz creek MI. ASSENMACHER.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Site Team

i don't know of any recumbent trikes that aren't serious and expensive investments. surely not for just riding around the campground.

this is such a small and specialized market in the bike world, that what's out there, is costly.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #15

Hi all;
I have riden recumbent trikes and bikes in many different parts of the US and world. (retired navy) for the last 20 odd years now. Below are some of the sites I have been looking at for my next trike.
Yes, you should get a flag for parking lots and hilly roads, but they are noticed! Because they look so different then ordinary bikes. I also recommend a helmet. So far, I have only dumped twice on the 2 wheeler and none on the trike. I have pedaled up to 30 mph flat and level on both trike and bike, and held nice rides though parks and flower garden areas at walking speed while talking with others that were walking.
They are very comfortable to sit and ride in. You can get light ones, folding ones, heavy tour ones, racers, electric motor assist ones, and fully enclosed ones for riding in all weather.
The only muscles that will hurt after a ride are your legs from pedaling and your face from smiling so much!

One of the main reasons I moved to recumbents!
Evolve recumbent trike folds up in seconds, fits in trunk of smart car - Image 1 of 22
The next trike I am looking at for my RV travels
Kinetics - The HPVelotechnik Gekko Folding Recumbent Trike
One of many folders I have looked at.
Greenspeed Recumbent Trikes - GT3 Folding Trike
One of the top recumbent trike makers
Recumbent Trikes - ICE - Explore our Trikes
I currently own and have ridden it year around when I lived in Wisconsin. An ICE Explore trike
As earlier posters have said, they can be expensive to buy. A friend bought one of the cheapest ones I have heard of 10 years ago ($500.00) and still rides it with simple repairs, (tires, chain, plastic fenders). I have owned my trike for 15 years. Rode it in snow, rain, hot and cold weather as a commuter and for pleasure. Did a few Across Iowa trips, Across Wisconsin, Michigan, and other vacation rides.
I also have a two wheeled recumbent bike that is the same way. Years old, no rust, not falling apart. Simple repairs. (tires, fenders, chain, pedals)
So they are made to LAST years.
Hit 55 mph down hill on a long grade and felt solid on the trike. Had the gears to ride up hills at a walking speed, but still made it up!
Rode in San Francisco bay area, Des Moines Iowa, Grand Rapids Michigan with out problems.
Because recumbents are so different looking, drivers (Big Rigs, trucks, buses, and cars) notice them! Where a standard bike is treated as "oh, just one of them, who cares"
Biggest effect, if you don't like talking to others, DO NOT get a 'bent. I have had 80 year olds and 8 year olds come up to me and start talking. Asking about the trike and bike. I even have had teenagers talk to me and say what a nice bike and trike I have!!
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #16

As to costs, I know of brand new ones that start in the $500.00 range and, of course go up. Used ones, I have seen start in the $200.00 range.
Ron Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote