Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2023, 06:09 PM   #41

Missouri campgrounds place mesh bags at every campsite for aluminum and plastics, They pick up every couple of days. They use the money for park improvements. We’re using the bags this week.
2015 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L 4:10
2016 Rockwood 2616 VS
pd2436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 06:55 PM   #42

Our campground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
From my experience, most campgrounds DO NOT have “recyling bins for aluminum, and bottles” or any other material.
The campground where the Cherokee 38P is sited has bins for paper, aluminum cans, plastic, glass, and cooking oil. The county "convenience center" is less than two miles away and accepts those things as well as vegetative matter, electronics, large appliances, and a few other classifications.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Vista View Post
We are avid recyclers. What's is very disturbing is that, in 2023, we can go to space and Mars and develop AI, but only 9% of all plastic gets recycled... the other 91% winds up in a landfill. Here in Phoenix they stopped taking glass "because there's no market for it"; iow, no profit. It's all about the Benjamins...

Its cheaper for them to make new stuff than to deal with dirty plastic garbage, which is exactly what most of it is. Asia, who buys it, only wants "high grade" glass and aluminum, the rest ends up in a land fill.

Recycling is a farce. Focus on the other 2 R's, Reduce and Reuse.
RV_Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:18 PM   #44

You dont see it because it’s a joke. It goes right to the same dump the rest of your trash goes to. So save your self some time and throw it all in the dumpster.
Smokewagonokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:30 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We've asked in several campgrounds and the answer is always the same. Recycling centers don't exist in their part of the country.

We have found them in some eastern campgrounds and they're usually accompanied by a sign saying that pizza boxes are not recycleable.

The most valuable recycleable is probably aluminum cans and we put them in a plastic bag to take home. If we get too many, we squash them to make more room.

Most campgrounds are situated in rural or semi-rural locations. recycling is cost prohibitive in these places.
I have seen recycling containers in some nearly empty. People are too lazy to separate their trash.
gw1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:37 PM   #46

Recycling is just a game to make the government money. Call it an extra add-on "feel-good" tax if you like.

Where I live, we pay a tax for each aluminum can we buy. We can turn in aluminum cans for a few cents per pound, which "they" turn around and sell for a profit. The government also requires that some places separate all trash into separate bins, or a fine is incurred. None of that stuff is recycled, it's just thrown into the landfill.

There are companies that separate trash into sellable products, of course they have to pay the state for the opportunity.

The states that don't bother recycling are doing their citizens a favor.
DavidWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 06:51 PM   #47

Recycling is a non starter

We gave up recycling after visiting end sites and they do very little actual good. These people who are so worried about it, should just have nice big plastic bags and take it home with them, to their favorite recycle spot.
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:06 PM   #48

One thing that bothers me are campers with 100 bottles of water. We use a Britta filter and refillable bottles. Rather than depend on recycling, try to reduce usage.
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:09 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
One thing that bothers me are campers with 100 bottles of water. We use a Britta filter and refillable bottles. Rather than depend on recycling, try to reduce usage.
We all have different values.
Old 05-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
We all have different values.
And?
The Newsoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:25 PM   #51

Where I live, recycling is a huge thing. We also have a separate bin, provided by the city, for food waste. It gets turned into compost by the city and they give it away. The provincial parks also have separate bins for recycling.
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:44 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
Where I live, recycling is a huge thing. We also have a separate bin, provided by the city, for food waste. It gets turned into compost by the city and they give it away. The provincial parks also have separate bins for recycling.

We have recycling bins for plastic and paper. No need to separate.
Our township also collects leaves in large brown paper bags that they mulch and give as away compost free to residents. It reduces our trash bills since it doesn't go into the landfill.

The problem we have here is people who are too lazy to separate the trash from the recyclables. One neighbor has never put out a recycling container. Says he's paying for trash pickup and can't be bothered.
Old 05-18-2023, 08:12 PM   #53

In a Perfect World

Unfortunately, it only takes one person to dump a tub of two-day old potato salad into the recycle bin, and it becomes one more garbage can for the refuse collectors to empty.
Trasher74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #54

I know its a hard habit to break, but more and more jurisdictions are moving to separate recyclables AFTER collection to ensure they meet mandated recyclable percentages.
Here in California, more and more counties are progressing to the "One Big Bin" concept. We've had it for maybe a dozen years now. They picked up our separate recycling bins for the last time and ask that everything (besides green waste) now go in the "One Big Bin". It all first goes through mechanical and manual separation.
It was a hard shift throwing that stuff in the 'regular' trash again!
Our kids have toured the facilities with their schools, it is an amazing process that diverts more from landfills at a lesser cost.
Baumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:23 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher74 View Post
Unfortunately, it only takes one person to dump a tub of two-day old potato salad into the recycle bin, and it becomes one more garbage can for the refuse collectors to empty.

Exactly. LAZY PEOPLE.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:17 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Newsoms View Post
And?
Meaning, what is important to one, is not important to another, and neither person is right or wrong. I go camping to relax, enjoy time with my family. No, I don't use bottled water. But not for the same reasons as you. And that's okay.
Happy camping.
Old 05-19-2023, 06:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer1972 View Post
We are continually frustrated by the absence of campgrounds that provide recycling of any kind. Out of necessity, we put recyclables (plastic, glass, paper and aluminum) in our tow vehicle to recycle when we return home. This becomes a challenge, especially on long trips. We need to encourage campgrounds to offer this service. Am I missing something?

Not sure where you do most of your camping but in my neck of the woods the Forest Service or BLM has to manage the disposal of trash themselves. They don't have the resources to maintain a recycling program, nor do most of the rural trash services, once you get out of the populated areas.
J Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 06:59 AM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher74 View Post
Yep.... wifey is member of local women's club. A nearby church has a aluminum can recycle bin out back for same. We -me and my truck and DW go every so often and get bags of beverage cans out of the bin for transport to local recycler. Yesterday was transport day. All bags MUST be opened and dumped into the roll around 4 by 4 bins to place on the scales. While doing this we encountered a bag of pet food cans that had not even been washed. It was rancid!! That's why all cans MUST be out of the bags.
BTW they won't accept any other aluminum cans. Even washed and de-labeled pet food cans are no-no.

Took an hour at least.
25 mile round trip.
Nasty work.
Netted a measly $35. This was a full PU bed of mostly not crushed beverage cans. I can see why many CGs do not bother.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 07:28 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling Circus View Post
No, I don't use bottled water. But not for the same reasons as you. And that's okay.
Happy camping.
Me, I am too cheap to pay $$ for something I can get for pennies at home or in the camper.
Full time camping I can go six months using full house filters, while still in a house I would change out my filters once a year.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:34 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingDave View Post
Me, I am too cheap to pay $$ for something I can get for pennies at home or in the camper.
Full time camping I can go six months using full house filters, while still in a house I would change out my filters once a year.
If I had been told 50 or 55 years ago that someday you could sell people plain old water in a plastic bottle, I never would have believed it. And that the plastic bottle would be used once and simply discarded is almost as crazy.

Tags
campground, mpg