Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #1

Red Fire Ants

What do I use to kill red fire ants. Is there a product for inside and arround my Trailer?

Thanks
Jkhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #2

Those are real tough not like your average ant. Typically involve 2 steps to kill fire ants to baiting and mound drench. you need to kill the queen

https://www.amazon.com/Amdro-1000990...5411322&sr=8-2

Try this indoors may work
https://www.amazon.com/Terro-T300-Li...5411322&sr=8-6
2019 57:2020 20:2021 30:2022 46:2023 47:2024 7
robo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

For many years we have had no luck killing fire ants on our property. Gave up on Amdro several years ago. It just makes them move the mound but they do that anyway if you agitate them. Whenever I am riding or driving across the place I steer for every fire ant mound I see. If walking I step on the mound quickly and then slide my shoe on nearby grass to make sure they didn't climb on. My wife read a report that said their mounds are interconnected. Some day maybe someone will invent a real killer. We now have no Quail because they nest on the ground and fire ants get them.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #4

I've had good luck treating Fire Ants. We always had them in our yard when we lived in Texas. You can't really permanently get rid of them, it's more of a management thing.

This method worked for us:

https://fireant.tamu.edu/controlmethods/twostep/
Greywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:35 PM   #5
Now a "Top Member"

There is no such thing as "killing" fire ants. It's a myth. Do not be taken in by the myth. You only relocate the ants. They move over to the neighbors, the neighbors then relocate them back to you, and so on. So if you have them IN your trailer, any kind of ant spray will get those, but if you are talking about the mounds, the Amdro works okay to relocate them for a while. I've also had some amount of luck with the Ortho powder that stinks like anything. I wish you luck with your relocation attempts, and curse the person who introduced the fire ant to American soil.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote