Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

Refilling Prescriptions on the Road

I’m sure I have chosen the right group of people to ask this question: how do you deal with getting prescriptions filled when you are away from home?

Both my wife and I have prescriptions that need to be filled monthly and I am finding it very difficult to get several of these filled when I am away from home where my prescriptions are written. Some prescriptions seem to be no problem getting transferred from a pharmacy at home to another in a different state, but some seem to be impossible, causing me to either go home or plan my traveling around when I can get a prescription filled.

How do full-timers deal with this? How does anybody deal with this?

Any advice will be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Bruce
Old 10-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I’m sure I have chosen the right group of people to ask this question: how do you deal with getting prescriptions filled when you are away from home?...
I have never had an issue with Walgreen's. I order on-line and specify the desired pickup store. A while ago I switched away from CVS since their geographical coverage is far more limited.

It may depend on the script, however, as I have never used this method for controlled substances. CVS once refused to fill a pain killer script that I presented since it was written by a doctor more that 30 miles away but Publix gladly filled it with no issues. Just another reason to forget CVS.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
I have never had an issue with Walgreen's. I order on-line and specify the desired pickup store. A while ago I switched away from CVS since their geographical coverage is far more limited.

It may depend on the script, however, as I have never used this method for controlled substances. CVS once refused to fill a pain killer script that I presented since it was written by a doctor more that 30 miles away but Publix gladly filled it with no issues. Just another reason to forget CVS.
I have found CVS to be the absolute worst pharmacy to deal with, regardless of whether I am home or away. I am self-pay, so I spend a lot of time shopping prices and have found Safeway to be the most consistent with the lowest prices, but Safeways are hard to find sometimes.

Bruce
Old 10-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Along with walgreens, walmart will also allow you to pick up prescriptions at another location. But as Scott said, I don't know about regulated medications. There may be restrictions on them that prevent transfer.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #5

I had to deal with the same problem when we got our first trailer, ... DW wasn't working at that time so we were free to do extended trips and did so, ... twice in 2014. we left home and didn't return for over three months each time, ... was using a mail order service for my meds and there were several times I had to have them delivered to the campground where ever we were at, ... but each time I changed the delivery address, we had to stay there until the delivery was made, ... very inconvenient, ... eventually decided the best solution was to change to WalMart, ... no matter where we're at, there's a WM near by and have never had a problem with a different WM filling any prescription, ... that works great for us

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #6

We use Kroger.

However, state laws concerning painkillers and some other drugs are very difficult to get.

In Texas they will not honor perscriptions except from a md for certain drugs.

Plan ahead.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We use a mail order service called Express Scripts.
They will send them anywhere you tell them to.
They arrive in about three days from the time the refill is requested

We've not had to use it for a new med and if it was something you needed immediately you'd likely want to go to a pharmacy but Express Scripts is great for refills.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #8

Couple things help me get by long trips.
Requested 90 day refills in place of 30.
My state set a requirement of non transfer on certain medications.
If non transfers are due when I am on the road, I ask the doctor for a hard copy to use.
So far so good.
I also use the dreaded CVS
okie dokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #9

Hi,

If you had someone in your home location to pick them up (and I do like the 90 day idea to reduce the number of times you have to do it) you could get them sent to you by that helpful person, via Priority Mail, at your next stop.

Might work, might not -- just brainstorming.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie dokie View Post
Couple things help me get by long trips.
Requested 90 day refills in place of 30.
My state set a requirement of non transfer on certain medications.
If non transfers are due when I am on the road, I ask the doctor for a hard copy to use.
So far so good.
I also use the dreaded CVS

I use this method too for prescriptions that are difficult to get filled on the road. So far it's worked flawlessly and even better, I've been able to get prescriptions filled in less than 30 minutes in small towns with no major chain pharmacy (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, etc) and cuts the need to drive up to 50 miles to the nearest one of their locations.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:58 PM   #11

I have used Walgreens that seemed to work fine across state lines as we’ve traveled. I have heard a lot of people saying WalMarts are the way to go.
JoePa77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #12

One of my meds is a "schedule one" which means only one month supply at a time. Before starting our current trip, we were allowed a once per year vacation override and got enough for our time away. Using Walmart or Walgreens also sounds like a good way to go. My other two meds always come in a 90 day supply so was not an issue.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #13

We use Walgreens and just call ahead 3-4 days to be sure they have the meds or have time to get them from the wholesaler. This has worked in Alaska as well as several states in the lower world.
medalguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #14
Retired Old Fart

If you use a nationwide chain like Walgreens, etc... can you not go to your local pharmacist who normally fills your items and have them annotate your account in advance of your trip that you will be traveling and will need to refill in another area? I would presume their computers communicate between regions, but I don't know for sure. It's worth asking and might make the process easier as it's set up in advance. Also as others noted the regulations for some scheduled drugs will vary and be more restrictive from state to state.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward51 View Post
If you use a nationwide chain like Walgreens, etc... can you not go to your local pharmacist who normally fills your items and have them annotate your account in advance of your trip that you will be traveling and will need to refill in another area? I would presume their computers communicate between regions, but I don't know for sure. It's worth asking and might make the process easier as it's set up in advance. Also as others noted the regulations for some scheduled drugs will vary and be more restrictive from state to state.
Yep, but easier than that. Just open an account on Walgreens.com. Then order a refill on-line and specify pick up at a Walgreens near where you are at the time or are going to be. They will hold the refill for quite a while anyway if you don't get there on the pickup date.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
I’m sure I have chosen the right group of people to ask this question: how do you deal with getting prescriptions filled when you are away from home?

Both my wife and I have prescriptions that need to be filled monthly and I am finding it very difficult to get several of these filled when I am away from home where my prescriptions are written. Some prescriptions seem to be no problem getting transferred from a pharmacy at home to another in a different state, but some seem to be impossible, causing me to either go home or plan my traveling around when I can get a prescription filled.

How do full-timers deal with this? How does anybody deal with this?

Any advice will be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Bruce
Have your Rx filled for 90 days, not 30. Express Scripts has even filled mine for longer once i explained i was traveling via RV. Use Walmart or some national chain. Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, etc are everywhere. If you get Rx via the mail for example with Express Scripts or Blue Cross just call them and they will forward your meds where you tell them.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
Along with walgreens, walmart will also allow you to pick up prescriptions at another location. But as Scott said, I don't know about regulated medications. There may be restrictions on them that prevent transfer.
I was in Alaska and got a refill on a prescription from WM in Fl. easy bpeezie...
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #18

All very interesting. The last time I looked into it (probably 15 years ago) I was told prescriptions had to be written by a physician licensed in the state you are physically in. I'm happy to hear things have changed. We've always had to plan our trips around our medications.

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #19

I have traveled all over the South from East to West the past two winters and never had a problem getting a prescription filled. We use CVS all the time and no problems. Controlled drugs cannot be transferred anywhere. I just have my doctor call in a prescription to the nearest CVS. My doctor has also called in prescriptions to HEB when we were in Texas. Don't understand why anyone is having so many problems.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #20

Walgreens & 90 days supply.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote