Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 06:15 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
  • Isn't there power to the breakaway switch when it plugged into the truck and the engine is running?
  • On another note - it was suggested to me not to have both propane tanks open at the same time so that you will have to switch over when the first tank is empty. By doing it that way you will know when you are actually using the second tank. Of course there are pros & cons for either way so it's a matter of choice.
While there is power to the breakaway switch when hooked up; the purpose of the breakaway switch is to throw on the camper's breaks if the camper should "break away" from the tow vehicle. If the battery is low or dead, the camper's breaks will not apply and not stop it.

With both propane tanks on, the one you have selected will be primary and the other (opposite) tank will be secondary. The indicator will show GREEN if the tank you selected still has gas in it. When that tank dies, the selector will AUTOMATICALLY switch SUPPLY (not the lever) to the secondary tank. Since the tank selected has no gas you will get a RED indication. Gas is STILL going to the fridge (if that valve is open). To change out the dead tank, you just flip the selector over to the secondary (which now becomes primary) and the only thing that happens is now the indicator turns GREEN (assuming the . You can then remove the dead tank to fill it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
it was suggested to me not to have both propane tanks open at the same time so that you will have to switch over when the first tank is empty. By doing it that way you will know when you are actually using the second tank. Of course there are pros & cons for either way so it's a matter of choice.
I see now where you are coming from. IMO this defeats the purpose of the automatic valve. BOTH tanks won't go empty overnight. If you peak at the valve while camping every couple of days you will see the valve is red and still have plenty of time to get it filled.

If you you do it your suggested way, you would have to be AT the camper all the time. You would have to NOTICE that the check light is ON at the fridge panel and your ice cream is running out of the freezer.

Of course if you are using the propane for heat, you would figure it out pretty quick when your DW kicks your butt out of bed at 3 AM to find out why it is so cold.

The OP was going to leave the camper at the storage yard with the fridge running on propane. If it ran empty and the opposite valve was closed, it would get very stinky in there by the time he got back to the camper.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:56 PM   #23
Site Team

Thanks for explaining. Good thing my battery is now charged when I take the trailer out. I used to have a problem before getting a disconnect switch installed but now my battery is holding the charge much better.

Back to the propang tanks as I'm still a little fuzzy on this:
If I open both tanks will it use from both tanks at the same time or only from the tank the dial is pointing to?

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:33 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Back to the propang tanks as I'm still a little fuzzy on this:
If I open both tanks will it use from both tanks at the same time or only from the tank the dial is pointing to?
The propane will only flow from 1 tank at a time. But, if that primary tank runs empty, then it will automatically switch to the other tank. You will have to keep an eye on your gauge at the regulator, and if the red indicator shows, then it is time to switch the pointer to the other tank, and get your 1st tank filled. Don't move the pointer until the primary tank empties. That way, you will always be starting with a partial tank, and your secondary tank will be full. The only time I move my pointer is when my primary tank empties, and I switch to the other tank, so I can get the empty tank filled. The pointer will stay that way until then next tank empties....and on, and on.

Believe it or not, the process works pretty slick, once you get the hang of it.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

This should help. Courtesy of Marshall Propane Systems.

Oh, and NEVER put the selector half way between the two tanks.
It does NOT turn the system "off."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marshal Auto Changover Regulators Pamplet.PDF (4.79 MB, 36 views)