Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #1

Remove battery and propane tank for storage lot?

So I have had my tt a little over a month and I love it. I need to put it in a storage lot because I dont have the space at my house. I got a spot at a very nice fenced in lot with cameras etc, in a very nice location. Do I need to worry about my battery, propane tank just sitting out in the open? I think ill get a cable lock for the spare tire. I can pull the battery and tank and just leave them in my garage. What do you guys do? Thanks
rynb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

While I keep mine in the driveway, I did think about storing it before I bought it. What to keep in it during storage was a big reason we "went small" so I could park it in the drive.

I would think the security situation in your area would be a big factor.

Are you storing in a relatively "peace loving" neighborhood or a war zone?

Has there been thefts at the storage yard? (don't ask the owner; ask the police).

Storing the battery with the camper involves battery life risks since you may not be able to connect a 120 VAC "maintainer" to keep it charged. Storage without a disconnect will result in a dead battery in a week to 10 days. Constantly cycling a dead battery will shorted its life drastically.

It is (most likely) unsafe to lock the propane tank to the frame of the camper. If there was a fire in the storage yard, not being able to get the tank off by the owner or a Good Samaritan in a hurry could result in a hazard to firemen responding.

Just throwing ideas at the wall here.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

Yes, you need to be concerned. I keep mine in a fenced and gated lot and I had put locks on the propane tanks and someone tried to get them. I found both doors to where the tanks on the 5er are stored standing wide open. There are some that would just swap out tanks to save on having theirs refilled. The lot where we stored our travel trailer someone took our tire cover off. I found it two rows over on another camper. My wife asked how I knew it was ours. I showed her my name on the inside and that camper wasn't a keystone. We have lost several wheel chocks. Someone also went through one night and pulled out several power cables and cut them for the copper. Last year while we were at a campground someone asked if I would try my keys on their camper as they had somehow locked their keys inside. Our campers were the same make different model. Sure enough I opened their door right up. So beware. Check on your camper often while it is in storage
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKI Marine View Post
Yes, you need to be concerned. I keep mine in a fenced and gated lot and I had put locks on the propane tanks and someone tried to get them. I found both doors to where the tanks on the 5er are stored standing wide open. There are some that would just swap out tanks to save on having theirs refilled. The lot where we stored our travel trailer someone took our tire cover off. I found it two rows over on another camper. My wife asked how I knew it was ours. I showed her my name on the inside and that camper wasn't a keystone. We have lost several wheel chocks. Someone also went through one night and pulled out several power cables and cut them for the copper. Last year while we were at a campground someone asked if I would try my keys on their camper as they had somehow locked their keys inside. Our campers were the same make different model. Sure enough I opened their door right up. So beware. Check on your camper often while it is in storage
Yes check often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1404908138749.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	57696   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404908170462.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	57697   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404908236818.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	57698  
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 AM   #5

that sucks someone broke your door to get in. this lot is in a really nice area, and looks to be one of the nicer lots I have found. But I went ahead and pulled the propane tank and battery. Only took a couple of min and now I dont have to worry about it. Ill put the battery on a trickle charger(it has a shut off when full) so hopefully Ill get good life out of it. thanks for the replies.
Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #6

Be sure to leave the battery on while towing to the storage lot. Take it off & bring it home from there. If you take your battery off at home your emergency brake away will not work. (Also its the law).

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynb15 View Post
that sucks someone broke your door to get in. this lot is in a really nice area, and looks to be one of the nicer lots I have found. But I went ahead and pulled the propane tank and battery. Only took a couple of min and now I dont have to worry about it. Ill put the battery on a trickle charger(it has a shut off when full) so hopefully Ill get good life out of it. thanks for the replies.
Better Safe than Sorry! While you have your Pro Tank at home,weight it on your B/R scales and Print the # on your tank for future reference on how full your tank is. The Tank has a Stamped # on it,so just do the Math for time to Refill!Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #8

Good idae for the tank. Actually my brakeaway works when plugged into my truck without the battery. I know this for sure,its a long story from a bad day. Haha.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #9

Well you really need to keep a eye out no matter where you park.My neighbor lost his brand new battery and both propane tanks off his brand new TT in his front drive.I lost the 50 amp cord off our 5er the same night.Didn't get the propane tanks.We live in a pretty dang decent area too.I now have a new cord and set up my game camera to maybe catch the bastids that try and take them again.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:02 PM   #10

If your breakaway is activated I don't think your plug into the truck will do you any good, it means your trailer is on its own.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #11

You could just get a torklift tank lock for the propane.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #12

Several points for you.

Parking your trailer. Take battery off. Bring it home. Buy a good but inexpensive battery maint. charger. You must buy a good lock for you trailer ball hitch. You can also get a wheel lock. Propane tanks, well you can get creative there.

Where to store. You must find somewhere secure. I store mine at a lot that is out of the way, way in the back and hidden by a forest. You really cant see it from the road.

If someone wants to get in to your trailer, they will. Just dont leave things visible in there to steal, like a tv. I put foil on my windows when I park it. It serves two purposes, keeps the sun rays out so it does not damage fabric etc, and people cant look in to the trailer.

Cover your wheels from the sun rays.
Camped 2014 - 23 days
masarost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 PM   #13

The law can be different from state-to-state on a breakaway brake system depends on the state. Some states don't require them, some states have a weight limit before it is required, and some states appear to require them on any size trailer.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Good idae for the tank. Actually my brakeaway works when plugged into my truck without the battery. I know this for sure,its a long story from a bad day. Haha.
Nope,your brakes will NOT work when it is on its own (Broke Away) without its OWN BATT.! Only if your TV Elect.Cord is REALLLLLLLLLLONGGGGGGG! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:26 PM   #15

Ok, i get it now with the battery and the break away. I know the breaks activate when its hooked to the truck and the battery is disconected. But if it broke off the truck it would have no power.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Ok, i get it now with the battery and the break away. I know the breaks activate when its hooked to the truck and the battery is disconected. But if it broke off the truck it would have no power.
He did say he was having a bad day; that day. Same thing happened to me making the turn from County Road 29 onto County Road 34 on the way to Goshen last year.

The breakaway snagged on something (my pickup bed was entirely too crowded) and the brakes came on in the turn. The DIC started "screamin' out a warning" but got it hooked back up before anybody complained too much about me blocking two streets.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM   #17

As already mentioned, the breakaway needs the battery. The idea is that the trailer has broken away. Chain and power cord no longer attached. The brakes need power to activate them. Otherwise the unit finds its own course likely with tragic results. I have seen a boat get away at highway speed. It tried to do a lot of damage before it went off the side of an overpass. Beyond that look into the security ideas Herk provides. A flashing LED to simulate an alarm. They really need to provide alarms for trailers that are easy to install someday. The type I would prefer... on someone else's trailer:
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #18

Breakaway needs A battery but it does not have to be the supply batteries for the trailer. They make smaller, rechargeable breakaway batteries, primarily used on non-RV type trailers, but can be installed on any trailer for those times you want to move a trailer without installing the larger deep cycle style batteries that will run the accessories in the RV.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:56 AM   #19

There is currently a large Music Festival going on directly across the street from where we store our TT. They expect 20,000 people each day for this 3 day event. The storage facility has it all fence, gates, cameras etc but I thought about taking spare tire and tanks home. In the end, I just hooked it up and got it out of there thinking that someone would make themselves at home in our tt rather than the mud pit
jomarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #20

Never had a problem in 10 years with either . I did make a lock for the battery box and tank and just in case but never had a problem in a fenced lot with access gate. I actually got run into by a guy in a motorhome and he left his phone number and his insurance paid for all my repairs !

Tags
battery, propane, storage, tank