Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Question Removing carpet

Looking for some help on removing carpet.

I have a 2006 Salem 361FKDS, which we just purchased last week. The carpet looks well past its 10 years. We would prefer to not have carpeting at all. I tried gently tugging at the edge to see if it was tacked or glued, and I think it is glued.

The carpet is not in all areas, so I know I may have to do some work to get it to match up to the vinyl flooring. I'm relatively () handy so not afraid to tackle this myself. Just need a little advice on how to remove the carpet.

Anyone done this before? I'm afraid that if it is, in fact, glued, I'll ruin the underlayment and cause an even bigger and more expensive problem.

Tried doing a search and could not find anything on point.

Thanks
Vince
VJP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Most are just stapled down with about 40 million staples. Get a retractable knife and start cutting, just don't cut too deep. I took ours out in about 5 hrs including pulling the staples.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #3

The Factory uses 40 Million+1,OC missed 1! On a unit made in 05-06 the Owner could have had carpet replaced and they Glued it ? Rip it out and if it was glued,put Carpet back in,staples are bad enough to remove glue would be a Nightmare! Youroo!!
Old 06-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Most are just stapled down with about 40 million staples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The Factory uses 40 Million+1,OC missed 1!
YOWZA!

Well I'm gonna give it a go next weekend. This weekend is to go thru everything with a fine tooth comb, clean like crazy, and then prioritize our 'remodel' projects. I'll try to post my 'how to' or likely my 'how NOT to' as I move thru this.

Thanks for the replies
Old 07-24-2016, 07:13 AM   #5

Replacing carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
YOWZA!

Well I'm gonna give it a go next weekend. This weekend is to go thru everything with a fine tooth comb, clean like crazy, and then prioritize our 'remodel' projects. I'll try to post my 'how to' or likely my 'how NOT to' as I move thru this.

Thanks for the replies
So, how did this project go? I keep reading things that make me think there is a chance that there is vinyl under the carpet. That would be wonderful for me to find that!! But, I thinking it won't happen. What did you find?
Cmessmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 AM   #6

postponed

Unfortunately, this project got postponed. My son was hit by an uninsured drunk driver and we are just getting thru the last of the bills. Fortunately, he and his friends were not seriously hurt by his car was totaled.

Hoping to jump back on this within the next month. I'll report back once I've taken the plunge.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #7

only wood below

So I finally took off the old carpet and sadly found nothing but plywood underneath. Since our trailer is about 10yrs old, I could not find flooring to match the kitchen, so we reinstalled new carpet and padding. Looks great but would have preferred to not have carpet. Oh well.

BTW - Old Coot/youroo...you were NOT exaggerating. Nothing shy of a gazillion staples
Old 09-29-2016, 09:16 AM   #8

I despise carpeting in an RV. It does 2 things, collect dirt and collect bugs. Kinda amazed you could not find a complimentary flooring. There is lots of different stuff available at your local Lowes or Home Despot.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #9

In the Class A I pulled all the carpeting and replaced it with allure flooring major difference, this new TT only has carpeting around the bed rest is vinyl sure is easy to clean
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
I despise carpeting in an RV. It does 2 things, collect dirt and collect bugs. Kinda amazed you could not find a complimentary flooring. There is lots of different stuff available at your local Lowes or Home Despot.
I despise it as well. I found several that I thought would work. Sadly, the interior decorator/boss did not agree, but fell in love with a carpet sample. Needless to say, I would have preferred flooring, but a happy wife.........