Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #21

Insurance will be sky-high, warranty will be void, and if, God forbid, somebody wore to be injured or killed, not only do you have insurance issues, but you could have issues with the IRS if you aren't a business and are collecting - and not reporting - the income from such rentals. If it is costing you too much for the limited time you get to use it, either suck it up or sell yours and rent one from a dealer when you want to go camping.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:22 PM   #22

Our class C was actually a rental/demo unit before we bought it. We checked it out very closely, but still found some hidden damage after the fact that should have caused us to get an even deeper discount. However, all of it is cosmetic stuff (scratches and dents) I have broken a few more things myself.. but I still wouldn't rent it out because I don't like to fix other people's screw-ups and messes.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Mike View Post
Insurance will be sky-high, warranty will be void, and if, God forbid, somebody wore to be injured or killed, not only do you have insurance issues, but you could have issues with the IRS if you aren't a business and are collecting - and not reporting - the income from such rentals. If it is costing you too much for the limited time you get to use it, either suck it up or sell yours and rent one from a dealer when you want to go camping.
I didn't know dealers rent them out.
Any details you can add?
Is it only for prospective buyers?
Is it cheaper/better units than the rental companies like Cruise America?
Etc.
jeffrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #24

So, I'm on the other side of this equation. We want to rent an RV in Eastern Canada (or Maine) for two weeks. We own an RV but in the Pacific NW. We don't have the time or desire to drive it over and back (7000 miles RT). Local rentals are scarce. Looks like a 23-24' Class C would be about $200 - $250/night.

Recommendations? Suggestions? (I'll also post in the appropriate forum for camping location suggestions.)
PNWTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #25

The expression "Drive it like a rental" comes to mind.
Very few people give a d#mn about abusing a rental car. I, for one, would never want that attitude applied to my trailer.
Last year I saw a guy with a C class rental cleaning out his sewer hose with his fresh water hose. When I tried to explain how WRONG that was, I was told to mind my own business.
So, sure, go ahead and rent yours out.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #26
Canadian Member

When we decided to ditch the tent and get off the ground, we rented a popup from a guy who did mechanical work for a local RV dealer. He rented Coleman popups and kept them in very good condition. It was definitely cheaper than buying and taking the depreciation hit and required zero maintenance on my part.

The problem was that the rental period was Friday to Friday which was a PIA if you wanted to stay the last weekend. We decided to buy our own for the convenience of having it available for any schedule. We ended up buying a used one (exactly same model) from a lady at my office and enjoyed it for several years until we upgraded to the Roo.

Around here, Class C MH rentals are very expensive. I'd never pay that much.

If you're looking for another option rather than owning, you could rent a cabin at a KOA or a similar rental at a campground of your choice.

Owning an RV is not necessarily cheaper than paying for hotels and restaurant meals and it involves a fair bit of maintenance work, but it so nice to have your own bed and to be able to cook your own meals and park it in a location that's much more relaxing than a hotel.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:49 PM   #27

I rent my 2016 Georgetown at Sahara RV in Las Vegas. They have been great. They perform all Service and repairs. So far they have replaced two Slide Out Cable Systems that were installed improperly by the Manufacture Forrest River, wrong Cables installed for the Main and Front Right Slide Out. Forest River even sent the wrong set for the Main Slide Out. Assisted with the Windshield when it almost fell out while driving in the Wind in California and had the Renter tie the Windshield to the RV with Cargo Straps. This was do to the Forest River not applying the proper amount of Sealant during Windshield Installation. Las Vegas RV Windshield Installer guaranteed his Installation for life. Sahara RV even provide assistance when the Engine ingested two Spark Plugs ruining the Engine and had to be towed to Galpin Ford RV in Dewey AZ next to Prescott, Az. Engine installation is being accomplished today the 11th of April 2018. Engine Failed at 18,000 miles. So this has really help me eliminate all the problems. They think I have a Lemon, however I think now we have all the issues fix. So I am very happy to have rented out our Motorhome. This is my experience so far. I have made money with all the problems.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #28

There are two dealers in our area that rent them for one season and then sell at the end of the season. They make their money coming and going on the units and then don't tell prospective buyers that they have voided the warranty by doing it.
retireearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:57 PM   #29

Ford is paying for the Engine under Warrantee. The rest of the Motorhome repair was paid for under Extended Warrantee. So this was after the Manufacture expired from Forest River.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #30
Just as confused as you

Rent - NO.
That said I would let my niece use my TT on the seasonal site. Her dad, my youngest brother, has a TT. My oldest brother and my sister, maybe. Rest of my family (there are 3 other brothers), no way. DW and my have a family friend (a mom, dad and daughter) who we trust enough we would let them use it. Remember, the TT is on a seasonal site and we would be checking in on all of them.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #31

Ok, I got it. Thanks for your input. I just can't see my Motorhome setting and rotting away by not using it. It is a decision only the owner can make. I report the income to the IRS and Sahara RV provides Insurance when our Motorhome is in use, $%2500 deductible by Sahara RV and the Renter, so the RV is covered insurance wise.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #32

I traveled, in the same direction, with a renter.
If he was any indication of the sort that rent RVs, I would not want my unit driven by him.
Furthermore, I see RV companies selling year old rental units at greatly discounted prices.
Coincidence?
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #33

I would not! Wouldn't even rent or lend to a relative. You don't know their skill level, how they treat their own stuff much less something that doesn't belong to them. Watching the movie RV is all true... All of these things have happened. I even know of one instance that a father rented a motorhome and then let his son and friends take it on a road trip. It was trashed. As in a total loss to the company that rented it.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #34
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Lake Kid View Post
I traveled, in the same direction, with a renter.
If he was any indication of the sort that rent RVs, I would not want my unit driven by him.
Furthermore, I see RV companies selling year old rental units at greatly discounted prices.
Coincidence?
No, it's not a coincidence. There's only so much abuse a RV can take before it's of no value to sell.

I know for a fact that if you take the RV to a scrap recycler, you do so at no value. I've seen guys bring in perfectly good boats and RV's to keep the wife from getting her share in a divorce and they walk away without a penny. Can you say revenge?
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #35

Like was told to me if you find owning RVing to expensive maybe you should find another hobby. I use my RV 2 weeks every 3 months that equal a month a year The rest of the time it sits covered and fully insured because that's required in our storage yard covered and protected from the sun and weather. I know at some time in the future I' probably want to sell it and I figure if I keep it nice I'll get more for it than if I let it get ragged out.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #36

We are considering renting ours out as my work assignment for August 2018 through April 2019 is not in the continental 48 or (thankfully) Canada. Don't want to sell it. Don't want it sitting unused that long. Not totally thrilled with the thought of others using our home but it's an option.
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

While doing some other searches I came across a local guy that has a dozen or so TT’s he rents out. From the terms on his page he doesn’t let people tow them. He drives it to one of the local campsites and then picks it up later.

That takes care of the towing, levelling, and hooking up concerns. But still leaves a lot of stuff that can be broke by the renters.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #38

The companies that rent rvs buy lower end models so if one is totaled its not a big deal. Between what the insurance pays and the money they have made on renting it it works out ok. You wouldnt want to rent your nice rig.
Jdb95661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #39

Not only NO, but, HEYL NO. If you can't afford it, don't buy it!
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #40
ARLO

Renters are usually amateurs. End of story.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote