Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Repair my salvaged trailer

Hi all - first post here, but have read lots and lots of good things in the past. Had an accident today. While finishing up a trip, left a little too early in the morning and the bridges were slick... I know... late April, I wasn't expecting it either. Anyway, hit some ice, camper tried to pass me, and got under my rear wheels, we both headed for the shoulder. At the end of the ride the camper gracefully rolled to its side leaving the truck wheels up in the air. No one was injured at all and it was a really slow speed slide (On the interstate but wasn't going faster than 50, and below that by the time we made it to the dirt).

Looking at the camper then, things were fine... but then the tow truck driver thinks that pulling the truck straight ahead will bring the camper around behind (on its side) and then it will sit right up and roll. I (figuring he is the expert) decide to try it. However, when the trailer doesn't sit up, he continues to pull the truck (trailer attached) across the dirt up to the edge of the road.

While doing that, the frame on the trailer breaks the 2"x2" it was bolted to in the front and bends and twists... So it is toast... as is the axle. The inside is in GREAT shape, and the side that did the falling and sliding in the mud is great as well. A new microwave vent and an undercompartment door, some minor siding work and we are back in business there...

However, the trailer frame is going to be impossible to repair. The wife and I LOVE this camper (our first) and we have 15,000 miles on it since we bought it late last June 2016. We have lots of memories in it and hate to see it go. I would like to have a new frame built (or buy a repairable camper of similar make/model that has had a fire or hail or something) and switch out the frames. Is this doable?

It is a 2014 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ. Single axle, 17ft, no slides... pretty straightforward. I have talked to lots of camper shops and they say it isn't worth it... I don't really care... it is worth it to me (to some extent).

I have insurance, we bought it outright for a great price (less than we will get from insurance) so we wouldn't be out anything, but I could use all the insurance money to fix it if I could make it back to like it was. I am confident I can do the inside parts that need minor fixing.

Finally, the questions. Has anyone done a frame swap? Anything I am not considering or forgetting?

Thanks for your help!!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:47 PM   #2

Photos Added

Here are some photos of the camper (before and after the frame has been removed).

Camper slide - Album on Imgur
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

Sorry to hear of your accident. I am glad nobody was injured.
Sorry to say, your trailer is now junk. It will never be the same even after 3 times the money to fix it than it is worth. DO NOT TRY TO SAVE IT.
If you love the model, use the insurance money to buy the same model and year. I would guess there are 500 for sale right now.
Keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 PM   #4

Well I'm willing to bet you pull the siding off and you will find structural wood busted.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:07 PM   #5

First, I'm so glad everyone was ok in that wild ride, could've been worse. I can understand the viewpoint of the others you spoke to, but at the end of the day if its worth it to you, then I say go for it. As for experience, don't have any, however just thinking about what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I think I would remove the camper from the frame and do what I could to get the frame to a local utility trailer manufacturer to get an estimate for them to fab one that matches the one you have. Be careful here to make sure it's over-engineered compared to the one you have or you could have issues. Same size material, more bracing, heavier axle, etc...

With that said I would be careful in that your insurance may not cover you from a liability perspective after rebuilding the camper. Not sure here, do some due diligence. Getting the camper off the frame in one piece will be a bit tough, but I think with some jacks and blocking you should be able to lift it straight up and pull the frame out from under it.

Good luck..
Old 04-25-2017, 08:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the input. We both feel the right thing to do is to take the money and walk away. We both feel so bad leaving our little camper sitting in some junk yard after all the happy memories it has given us and so we desperately want to save it. I have a lake I love to go to... that I could virtually leave it at all year, and just have to tow it a couple miles to the beach and back to storage... then it wouldn't have to be too structurally sound for cross country driving...

Also, the liability of the camper is covered by the vehicle towing it, so as long as it is a towed camper, you don't have to worry about salvage titles or such. Just an FYI.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 PM   #7

I had a similar deal last May. Trailer was totaled setting in the drive. Freak storm came through and DESTROYED our neighborhood. I have pics of the salvage hauling it away...to be honest. The salvage company could care less about our RV that I put sweat and equity in, but it all worked out. We got a new one and for the most part like it better so far. I will try to att. a few pics, but the forum has been acting funny.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3271.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	135908

Name:	IMG_3273.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	605.9 KB
ID:	135909

Name:	IMG_3276.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	530.2 KB
ID:	135912

And the new one...

Name:	IMG_3697.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	135913
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #8

Now I will speak about making it so it's leagle on the road again
I have put several vehicles back on the road after a salvage title was issued
To pass the inspection I had to have proof that every little spec the insurance company marked was repaired or replaced. Every scratch had to be fixed before the police would sign off to allow it to be road leagle againg. So if the insurance company lists any possible structural damage in the walls you will have to strip it down to the studs and prove that there is no damage with photos during the repair process.

Then the other thing to consider even though it's just a few miles what about the saftey of your family in the tv and the saftey of those around you
Old 04-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the pics and the words of encouragement about a second camper.

Here is my thought process so far...

Tomorrow I will call about a price for a new frame from the manufacturer... that may make the decision.

However, I will assume I will get all that it is insured for minus my deductible. A local trailer shop thought they could reproduce the trailer from scratch with the axle (reusing the brakes and springs) for $2500. All I would have to do is figure out a way to lift it up, pull the old out, slide new in and reattach. I figure everything below that plywood bottom is removed, another sheet of plywood added (something thin, glued like crazy, and screwed into the walls on the sides) and then use quality 2x2 or better on the bottom to reattach to the new frame. It should be better than new that way.

I am concerned about the inside 'studs' in the wall that hit the ground... but I will have to do some work to that wall no matter what so I think I could cripple stud the broken ones and be good to go.

Its hard to imagine that all the other parts will add up to be more than what insurance would give me... but its hard to say until you get your hands dirty. I figure buying it back will be cheap, and I could part out the good parts for more than I would buy it back and that would give me some more time to think about it.

I will let you know what the new frame is going to cost me, and what the adjuster says, and what I decide to do. Anyone happen to live in Western WY and want to store a camper for me?
Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 AM   #10

I wouldn't want anything to do with this camper, the stress from twisting would make me worry about water leaks down the road, not to mention how tough it will be to remove the frame from the body, will you need to be inside the walls to remove the bolts? Gonna be super tough! You gotta deal with a lot of tanks, plumbing and wiring, and after you get it all done how many gremlins are you gonna create from putting it all back together?

I am not saying it isn't doable, for the time and effort you would be better off with a new unit, start fresh with all new systems etc. Just do some shopping and find a similar unit, bet it would take one weekend to fall in love with your new camper. Just my thoughts, I think your headed to a big can of worms.

Good luck on what you decide.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Now I will speak about making it so it's leagle on the road again
I have put several vehicles back on the road after a salvage title was issued
To pass the inspection I had to have proof that every little spec the insurance company marked was repaired or replaced. Every scratch had to be fixed before the police would sign off to allow it to be road leagle againg. So if the insurance company lists any possible structural damage in the walls you will have to strip it down to the studs and prove that there is no damage with photos during the repair process.

Then the other thing to consider even though it's just a few miles what about the saftey of your family in the tv and the saftey of those around you
That would depend on your state. That extreme is not required here. Once put back together would just need to pass a state inspection as the same as any trailer. Mostly just tires, brakes and lights.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 04-26-2017, 05:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley3131 View Post
Hi all - first post here, but have read lots and lots of good things in the past. Had an accident today. While finishing up a trip, left a little too early in the morning and the bridges were slick... I know... late April, I wasn't expecting it either. Anyway, hit some ice, camper tried to pass me, and got under my rear wheels, we both headed for the shoulder. At the end of the ride the camper gracefully rolled to its side leaving the truck wheels up in the air. No one was injured at all and it was a really slow speed slide (On the interstate but wasn't going faster than 50, and below that by the time we made it to the dirt).

Looking at the camper then, things were fine... but then the tow truck driver thinks that pulling the truck straight ahead will bring the camper around behind (on its side) and then it will sit right up and roll. I (figuring he is the expert) decide to try it. However, when the trailer doesn't sit up, he continues to pull the truck (trailer attached) across the dirt up to the edge of the road.

While doing that, the frame on the trailer breaks the 2"x2" it was bolted to in the front and bends and twists... So it is toast... as is the axle. The inside is in GREAT shape, and the side that did the falling and sliding in the mud is great as well. A new microwave vent and an undercompartment door, some minor siding work and we are back in business there...

However, the trailer frame is going to be impossible to repair. The wife and I LOVE this camper (our first) and we have 15,000 miles on it since we bought it late last June 2016. We have lots of memories in it and hate to see it go. I would like to have a new frame built (or buy a repairable camper of similar make/model that has had a fire or hail or something) and switch out the frames. Is this doable?

It is a 2014 Coachmen Clipper 17FQ. Single axle, 17ft, no slides... pretty straightforward. I have talked to lots of camper shops and they say it isn't worth it... I don't really care... it is worth it to me (to some extent).

I have insurance, we bought it outright for a great price (less than we will get from insurance) so we wouldn't be out anything, but I could use all the insurance money to fix it if I could make it back to like it was. I am confident I can do the inside parts that need minor fixing.

Finally, the questions. Has anyone done a frame swap? Anything I am not considering or forgetting?

Thanks for your help!!
It is doable, but probably not worth the cost. A trailer shop can build a new probably better frame. It can be done safety. I rebuilt a camper in the 1980s but would not do it today because of the work involved. Mush cheaper and easier to move on and find another one. But it will never be the same.

Good Luck what ever you decide.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 AM   #13

As other said, Glad no injury...
As for the camper....be happy with the memories, take the check and go shopping.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
Old 04-26-2017, 06:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
A trailer shop can build a new probably better frame.
If the original frame was made by Lippert a trailer shop building a better one is an absolute certainty LOL. I think my 3 yr old grand daughter could probably accomplish building one better than LCI.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley3131 View Post

Also, the liability of the camper is covered by the vehicle towing it, so as long as it is a towed camper, you don't have to worry about salvage titles or such. Just an FYI.
A little more information for your FYI:
While the camper is attached to the vehicle it is covered by the towing vehicle's insurance. If the two become separated then it is no longer covered and needs it's own coverage.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:30 AM   #16

I think you may want to watch some videos on how campers are made. They are built piece by piece on the frame. I seriously doubt the construction techniques make them strong enough to be able to withstand lifting off of one frame onto another.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #17

Also take into account that any materials for the repair will add weight to the trailer.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:56 AM   #18

Sure, rebuilding your trailer is possible & don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Now, will the repairs be fiscally responsible? Again it is your call, but in my opinion no.

Can the repair shop perform as expected? Again, given a bottomless checkbook, probably. Should you trust them to keep their word and stay in budget? Only you can make that call.

Will you be happy with the repaired trailer? Again, only you can answer that.

I will say this, designs in the RV industry change almost as fast as a Victoria's Secret Model

Take a look at a new model of your trailer and compare differences between it and what your "restored" trailer will have. Worth it to get the new trailer? Again, only you can make that call.

Best of luck, and do let us know how it goes for you.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
Old 04-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #19

After looking at those pics I wouldn't want anything to do with your current camper for all the reasons everyone else has listed.

No camper, currently
Old 04-26-2017, 08:42 AM   #20

Start some new memories with a new (at least to you) trailer. Take some things out of the old, to put in the new and keep the memories moving.

The box doesn't make the memories, the people in it do.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
Closed Thread

Tags
repair, trailer