Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2022, 06:24 PM   #21
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I had run into this issue a couple of times where no refund but you could still use it at the cg within a year. Seems more and more parks doing. However I was lucky last week as I had to cancel in Sevierville Tn and got my full refund back. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:55 PM   #22

Just an update - I have called the corporate office 5 times now and only talked to a "receptionist" or the voice mail of the person who is responsible for this particular park.

After some digging on their website I did find some info on cancellations. First, I should not have been charged for 11 days of camping fees - only $250. Then it says all cancellation refunds will be determined on a case by case basis. Since I can't get anyone to return my call getting a determination like that seems pretty impossible.

I am waiting until tomorrow to see if my latest call to corporate gets me a return call. If not I will go to my credit card company and see if I can get the charges reversed.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
That's the way it is in many campgrounds (or so called resorts) in FL. Both campgrounds we've been in this year are that way and with the nature of the last couple years, it seems every campground we check for possible future stays are adopting this policy.
Don't be nie, name the park, then others will avoid it, maybe the will get the hint. Also put a review online about there policy.
Jcape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:32 PM   #24

We
Live in Canada and we were in Florida at a park 2019-2020. I put a deposit for the 2020-2021. Then COVID hit and the borders closed so we couldn’t travel. Called about a refund and the answer was no. They would credit us one year but the borders still weren’t open when we had to decide to keep it out of storage or store it. So we lost the deposit.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 08:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcape View Post
Don't be nie, name the park, then others will avoid it, maybe the will get the hint. Also put a review online about there policy.
As I mentioned before, I will give the details on the park and corporation once I know the end result (even though that appears pretty clear at this point). I don't want to be the guy that says "this place sucks" and then find out a couple days later they made things right. As the old saying goes - on aw-sh!t wipes out a thousand atta boys!
Old 03-24-2022, 09:00 PM   #26

Unfortunately with the RV (covid) buying boom the RV parks hold the advantage but it won't last forever and the ones that didn't get greedy will continue. Also if anyone is thinking about buying an RV wait a year or two and you will be able to get them pretty cheap
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:35 PM   #27

I have had to cancel a Florida RV resort 9 months in advance and they refused. I simply called my credit card company and they got my refund, saying that there was plenty of time for the campground to fill the reservation with another customer.
Royboy
Gramps42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 09:37 PM   #28

Florida refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
We had a rather big surprise this last week. Due to some health issues we decided we needed to cancel our upcoming cross country trip. Because we were going to visit with my Mom in FL for a while I made a reservation at a CG near her home. The reservation was for 11 days and they took the full fee up front. I had no issue with this at the time but then life throws a curve and here we are asking to cancel and expecting a refund - or at least most of the fee refunded. We cancelled almost one month in advance of our arrival date. However, when I contacted the park I was told they could only credit us the fee - not refund it.

If it was a local park I could probably say no problem. However, since this park is 2500 miles from home I'm not sure we will get to make that trip in the next year. I'm still working with the park (actually part of a resort chain) to see if they can do something for us. The total fee was just over $450 so this isn't a small amount in our opinion.

So I'm just curious, is this a "normal" practice? I've had to forfeit a days fee for not cancelling in time but never got socked like this when giving almost a months notice. FWIW, i can find no place on their website that talks about the cancellation rules.
Florida has a law governing hotels/motels that they cannot rent a room more than once, meaning if they rent to you and refuse to refund your money when you cancel they cannot, by law, rent that room to anyone else for the same night. Try searching that on the internet to find that statute and see if it might be applied to a campground. If that can be applied perhaps it can give you some leverage when communicating with them.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by royboy334 View Post
I have had to cancel a Florida RV resort 9 months in advance and they refused. I simply called my credit card company and they got my refund, saying that there was plenty of time for the campground to fill the reservation with another customer.
Royboy
Don't know what credit card company you have but I like that!
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:43 AM   #30

We had something similar. We changed to a year out. Every year I would move out another year. Now this year, 3 years later, we are using it.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:11 AM   #31

go get them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post
There is no mention of cancellation rules either on their website, confirmation preview, or email confirmation? If true (I would believe it’s “hidden” somewhere in plain sight though) then I would first call them back and ask to speak to a manager and tell them there is no cancellation/refund policy so you would like a refund. If that route doesn’t go well then I would file a claim with your credit card stating you asked to cancel with them and they are not refunding the money even though it’s not stated that they would offer no refunds. Then also file a BBB claim stating the same.

While not common, a quick internet search of “no refund campgrounds” came up with quite a few results showing campgrounds that did not refund, but some offering a credit towards future use.
Simple dispute the charge on your credit card. Credit card companies always side with their customers if your complaint is reasonable, always.
Resse Goose box hitch, Mor/Ryde SRE 4000, X Factors, shocks... real smooth ride
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:33 PM   #32

We have stayed 3-4 months in the winter at a FL CG. Always was if you wanted a site the following winter book 3 months or more in April. 1st month at booking and a 10% cancelation fee if by December 1st. This year was $1495 monthly plus electric and water. Notice posted several times that there will be no ~ zero~ refunds for the months December through April. We will miss many we have got to know here but have found another resort for next winter with a sane refund policy. I'm 74 and don't know where I'll be in a year or even IF I'll be!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
We had a rather big surprise this last week. Due to some health issues we decided we needed to cancel our upcoming cross country trip. Because we were going to visit with my Mom in FL for a while I made a reservation at a CG near her home. The reservation was for 11 days and they took the full fee up front. I had no issue with this at the time but then life throws a curve and here we are asking to cancel and expecting a refund - or at least most of the fee refunded. We cancelled almost one month in advance of our arrival date. However, when I contacted the park I was told they could only credit us the fee - not refund it.

If it was a local park I could probably say no problem. However, since this park is 2500 miles from home I'm not sure we will get to make that trip in the next year. I'm still working with the park (actually part of a resort chain) to see if they can do something for us. The total fee was just over $450 so this isn't a small amount in our opinion.

So I'm just curious, is this a "normal" practice? I've had to forfeit a days fee for not cancelling in time but never got socked like this when giving almost a months notice. FWIW, i can find no place on their website that talks about the cancellation rules.
We have Been camping in parks for over 50 years. The general rule has been cancellation in 45 hrs and a refund is full . BUT all parks have different cancellation policies. You should always check this before making reservation. It may be posted on their web page. I suggest you check that information to make sure the person you spoke to has the information correct. I have also found that it could depend on the length of the reservation and weather it is in the season or off season rates. With the increase of camping during COVID many places have changed their reservation policies. I know Texas State Parks have changed and now require a 5 day notice to get full refund 2 day is partial refund. Some hot areas like the KOA on S.Padre Island, TX has no refunds for cancellation unless weather warnings are local. Therefore we do not make reservations for that park.
Red Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #34

Most credit cards (that have a Visa or Mastercard insignia) have travel insurance for purchases made with that credit card. You don't pay extra for it and you don't have to "opt in" you're just automatically covered. They cover flights and hotel stays that you have to cancel due to a "covered cause" They might cover an RV park the same as a hotel. Couldn't hurt to try that avenue.
FYI they also have extended warranty coverage, lost item coverage and all sorts of other coverages that you don't have to purchase or ask for. This link explains some of it.
https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/do-credit-cards-have-insurance/
Rindacella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 06:08 PM   #35

Latest update - after the 5th phone call with no response I have contacted our credit card company and it is now a disputed charge. I am fairly confident from what the CC company said that we will get our money back (they investigate before making a decision) but fingers crossed!
Old 03-26-2022, 06:35 PM   #36

With regards to not sharing what campground or entity refuses to be fair in dealings with their customers; I am unable to understand the rationale behind that thinking. They shouldn't be given several opportunities to respond in timely manner. At the end of the day,once they've refused to provide acceptable customer service, they should be outed. Time should not be a factor.

Reminds me of the time I custom ordered an Audi which had a cost of over $80k. I placed a deposit of $5k. During the wait for it to be built and shipped from Germany, my plans changed. I sought out a buyer for the vehicle and he sent the dealer a $5k deposit for the car I ordered. My efforts to get the $5k refunded were in vain as the dealer held both deposits for an additional 6 weeks until the vehicle was actually delivered. That dealer is 10 minutes from my home. I drove 90 minutes to buy another Audi at a different dealer. Once a company crosses the line for fair and equitable dealings, they are forever off my list. I believe that type of behavior should be known to others and if someone asks me about them, I am happy to expose their failings.

Companies that crap on customers deserve what they get.
Lubehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:12 AM   #37
Defender of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubehead View Post
Companies that crap on customers deserve what they get.
In that same vein - Do you go out of your way to "recommend" those companies that provide you with the service you want? Or is that something you just expect because that's why they're in business?

I noticed that you didn't name drop either of the companies you dealt with during your Audi purchase. Also didn't see it stated whether you got your $5000 back.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #38

If it’s a popular campground and you cancel a few weeks before your reservation chances are the site will never get booked.
I would agree with keeping all or some of the fee the closer you cancel to the reservation.
There are too many people booking more sites than they need and canceling at the last minute leaving the campground with only a limited time to fill the opening.
Also if people keep getting there credit card company to bail them out we will be back to mailing a check to the campground. I found some campgrounds getting away from credit cards and going back to checks.
Not getting your money back once it’s cashed 🤣.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #39

Don't trust that KOA cancellation policy, They have fine print especially at the KOA Deerpark NY. Made a reservation, realized it was for the wrong weekend the next day. Canceled immediately 2 & 1/2 month's in advance and they REFUSED to give one nickel back or credit for a future reservation. WILL never use KOA again. Also heard a lot of bad thing also after the fact about that place.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmayo13 View Post
Florida has a law governing hotels/motels that they cannot rent a room more than once, meaning if they rent to you and refuse to refund your money when you cancel they cannot, by law, rent that room to anyone else for the same night. Try searching that on the internet to find that statute and see if it might be applied to a campground. If that can be applied perhaps it can give you some leverage when communicating with them.
Also, simulate making a reservation in the same space for the same time. If already reserved, they rented it twice.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote