Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boborc View Post
Don't trust that KOA cancellation policy, They have fine print especially at the KOA Deerpark NY. Made a reservation, realized it was for the wrong weekend the next day. Canceled immediately 2 & 1/2 month's in advance and they REFUSED to give one nickel back or credit for a future reservation. WILL never use KOA again. Also heard a lot of bad thing also after the fact about that place.
We had the opposite experience with the KOAs we've used. We had to cancel a couple of reservations within their campground reservation policy. Always got a refund. One reservation we were not able to cancel in time to get a refund, but we knew that when we booked and chalked it up to the cost of travel.

A couple of reservations we 'rebooked' for a later date because of travel delays. They always rebooked if they had a vacancy.
You have to read their cancellation policy before booking. Every campground has different policies.
Old 03-27-2022, 11:06 AM   #42

I had a brainstorm, stay a week at the EAA Oshkosh event. Weekly ticket prices were $126 a person, kids free up to 17YO. They have a Camp Scholler right there and you can book the week in advance, $30 a day, sounded good, and noticed they have electric sites for $70 a day, OK, we can swing that, but you can't book them at this time, you have to wait until booking opens in June. Right now there is an early bird discount, so I went ahead, got 2 tickets and 10 days of camping for $300.

Well, I contacted the camp grounds regarding the sites and reserving electric and got hit by a meteor!!! Yes I can reserve a site for that week, BUT I have to pay the full amount starting the day I reserve!!!! WHAT?!?!? Here's the kicker though, they don't have a site map listing the sizes, all their sites EXCEPT the electric are 20 x 30. IOW my trailer will not fit on any BUT the electric sites. Those sites are 20 x 50, electric and water.

Well needless to say I either try to get a site reserved by July 13th as they fill up fast that week and pay an extra $1100, or take a $300 loss. No cancelations! So much for trying to save money being an early bird. They really need to work on their website so this information is clearly available up front.
Old 03-27-2022, 01:12 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
We had the opposite experience with the KOAs we've used. We had to cancel a couple of reservations within their campground reservation policy. Always got a refund. One reservation we were not able to cancel in time to get a refund, but we knew that when we booked and chalked it up to the cost of travel.

A couple of reservations we 'rebooked' for a later date because of travel delays. They always rebooked if they had a vacancy.
You have to read their cancellation policy before booking. Every campground has different policies.
Exactly what I said. KOA site say's $10 fee if 30 days ahead. But campgrounds can do their on policy on cancellations. Bait and switch in my eyes. When I told the guy I would just keep it if no refund he said sorry you already cancelled. Just Scum. KOA should not even list a cancellation policy if they do not have to abide by it.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Don't trust that KOA cancellation policy, They have fine print especially at the KOA Deerpark NY. Made a reservation, realized it was for the wrong weekend the next day. Canceled immediately 2 & 1/2 month's in advance and they REFUSED to give one nickel back or credit for a future reservation. WILL never use KOA again. Also heard a lot of bad thing also after the fact about that place.
Not sure it's really in the "fine print". Here's part of what I see when I check the Deerpark KOA's "cancellation guideline" link:

Quote:
Campground Specific Cancellation Policy

All reservations must be paid in full and are non-refundable. (National KOA Cancellation Policy does NOT apply).
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:55 PM   #45

He changed it around since August. But he still list the KOA cancellation policy on the same page. Last year he had a clause that side koa policy except on holiday weekends. Oct 15 became a special holiday for him at that moment
Boborc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #46

Quote:
He changed it around since August. But he still list the KOA cancellation policy on the same page. Last year he had a clause that side koa policy except on holiday weekends. Oct 15 became a special holiday for him at that moment
Not sure I'd swear off all KOAs because of this guy's policy, but I'd definitely bypass this one.
PodGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #47
Canadian Member

ALWAYS check the cancellation policy. There is a resort type place about an hour away that we’d like to try but they have an unreasonable cancellation policy so we won’t be giving them our business unless that changes.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:57 PM   #48

Latest update - 5th call to the corporate person that handles the specific CG we reserved at. Told the receptionist and left a message restating our desire to get a refund and also stating that if I didn't get a call back by COB Friday I would be going to my CC company and asking to dispute the charge. Called Citi CC on Saturday morning and started the process. The agent I spoke to told me that if they needed any further info they would contact me.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Citi will reverse the charges.

Now for all who wanted to know - the CG is Oak Springs RV in Port Richey FL. Just to be clear, the people that I spoke to at the CG are very helpful and understanding but this is a corporate rule and they have no leeway on it. The corporation is Wilder LLC and they have about 20 CG's in FL and TX.

Because I made my reservation by phone I didn't dig into the RV resort's website deep enough to find the refund rules until after I had to cancel. My bad on that. However, when I did read it, it says I should have only been charged $250 for the deposit and if you dig deep enough you find where it says that refunds are handled on a case by case basis. Pretty hard to get case by case determinations when you never get a call back from the person that is supposed to control that process.

Fingers crossed!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:43 PM   #49

After reading more and more of these stories, I thank the stars we purchased an acreage and cabin in 2018 and sold the TT in 2020.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 10:55 AM   #50

Final update - our credit card company approved our challenge to the reservation charge and took the charge off our bill! Looking at the history of the dispute on our CC website, I doubt that the corporation that owns the CG ever actually responded to our CC companies request for information. Not a surprise given that they never responded to the 5 calls I placed trying to get the issue resolved.

As some have mentioned, we will look much closer at the websites for cancellation rules on future reservations and we'll also try to avoid the big corporate parks - though it looks like those are buying up the little private places all over the country.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
Final update - our credit card company approved our challenge to the reservation charge and took the charge off our bill! Looking at the history of the dispute on our CC website, I doubt that the corporation that owns the CG ever actually responded to our CC companies request for information. Not a surprise given that they never responded to the 5 calls I placed trying to get the issue resolved.
Thanks for the follow up. Will you be sharing a review of your experience on the various websites to give other travelers a heads-up?
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4 x 4
2018 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4 x 4
LizzyRN is offline   Reply With Quote