Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2022, 09:09 PM   #1

Reservation refund experience

We had a rather big surprise this last week. Due to some health issues we decided we needed to cancel our upcoming cross country trip. Because we were going to visit with my Mom in FL for a while I made a reservation at a CG near her home. The reservation was for 11 days and they took the full fee up front. I had no issue with this at the time but then life throws a curve and here we are asking to cancel and expecting a refund - or at least most of the fee refunded. We cancelled almost one month in advance of our arrival date. However, when I contacted the park I was told they could only credit us the fee - not refund it.

If it was a local park I could probably say no problem. However, since this park is 2500 miles from home I'm not sure we will get to make that trip in the next year. I'm still working with the park (actually part of a resort chain) to see if they can do something for us. The total fee was just over $450 so this isn't a small amount in our opinion.

So I'm just curious, is this a "normal" practice? I've had to forfeit a days fee for not cancelling in time but never got socked like this when giving almost a months notice. FWIW, i can find no place on their website that talks about the cancellation rules.
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:25 PM   #2

We camped at a park along the Texas coast for 3 weeks. However, something came up and we had to leave several days early. I asked for a refund or credit and they said no. Now, if the campground was full, I could understand that, however, it was February and the campground was less than 1/4 full. Other campgrounds we've booked at have given us all or most all of our fees back if we cancel. Usually lose 1 nights cost as the cancellation fee. Some places have just kept the booking fee ( $5-$10). I guess it just depends.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

That's the way it is in many campgrounds (or so called resorts) in FL. Both campgrounds we've been in this year are that way and with the nature of the last couple years, it seems every campground we check for possible future stays are adopting this policy.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
So I'm just curious, is this a "normal" practice? I've had to forfeit a days fee for not cancelling in time but never got socked like this when giving almost a months notice. FWIW, i can find no place on their website that talks about the cancellation rules.
There is no mention of cancellation rules either on their website, confirmation preview, or email confirmation? If true (I would believe it’s “hidden” somewhere in plain sight though) then I would first call them back and ask to speak to a manager and tell them there is no cancellation/refund policy so you would like a refund. If that route doesn’t go well then I would file a claim with your credit card stating you asked to cancel with them and they are not refunding the money even though it’s not stated that they would offer no refunds. Then also file a BBB claim stating the same.

While not common, a quick internet search of “no refund campgrounds” came up with quite a few results showing campgrounds that did not refund, but some offering a credit towards future use.
Backcountryboondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:18 PM   #5

5picker - what a coincidence, this is a FL park

Backcountry - I could find no mention of cancellation on the website but I did see a "no refunds" on the confirmation email they sent. Since that is after I've paid\entered into the agreement I don't see how they can expect someone to know that before paying...
Old 03-16-2022, 02:07 AM   #6
Camping the Natural State

Can't blame people for trying to make a living and tired of all the cancellations due to gas prices probably.
Old 03-16-2022, 03:04 AM   #7
Defender of America

Just for clarification on my part -
1) How far in advance did you make the reservation?
2) Did they ask for full payment at time of booking? Or was it a partial deposit will full payment in another specified timeframe before arrival date?
3) Is the "credit" only good for a specific duration (1year) and does it have conditions (only for off season stay)?
4) Method of payment you used for deposit.
5) If they have more than one location, can you use it for staying in another facility?

Other than seeing if you can deal with someone higher up than the drone answering the phone or contacting your credit card company for options; you may not have many options to get your money back because you are trying to remedy this long distance. In their defense I assume they've heard all the hardship stories already and are simply following company policy created because others before you ruined it for the rest of us.
Centerline TS WDH
Nick Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:03 AM   #8

I just committed in another thread campground reservation woes, I imagine the park might consider the actions mentioned in that thread as a part of their reasoning. That combined with how COVID hit rv parks in some states they have to protect themselves. That said I think keeping your full amount is wrong. If they are able to find someone to camp in the spot you should be entitled to some money back.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #9
Canadian Member

The policy for “future stay credit only” has been adopted by many campgrounds and as well as airlines and hotels. When the pandemic hit, many airlines and charter companies refused to give refunds since they had this policy. My DW used to work as a travel agent so she knows to ALWAYS check the cancellation policy for any place we are considering booking (campground or hotel). If we aren’t prepared to live with it we don’t book at that campground/hotel. There is a popular resort-style campground an hour away that we’d like to try but we refuse to accept their cancellation policy. KOAs, while more expensive, are usually very reasonable with their cancellation policy.

I strongly recommend that everyone understand the cancellation policy before booking and ask what it is if its not obvious on their website. You can buy cancellation insurance for air travel packages but I don’t think that’s available for campground reservations. Maybe it will be some day.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
5picker - what a coincidence, this is a FL park

Backcountry - I could find no mention of cancellation on the website but I did see a "no refunds" on the confirmation email they sent. Since that is after I've paid\entered into the agreement I don't see how they can expect someone to know that before paying...
I’m not a contract lawyer, but from some of the things I’ve had to do through attorneys and courts, I’ve learned that stipulations AFTER the “contract” has been signed are illegal, null, and voided. At least in my state they are.

I would first go onto the website and scour it to see if you can find the cancellation policy. Check TOS, and even try a mock up reservation to see if anything comes up. I would take pictures of the pages on the off chance the campground tries to update their website to include them as proof.

Then call the manager of the campground and tell them that had you been informed beforehand of the cancellation policy you might not have made a reservation. If that doesn’t work, then ask for their higher up, especially if this is a corporation chain of campgrounds. Tell the next person the same thing. I would also tell them that you would be filing a dispute with both your CC company and the BBB.

If that does not work, then immediately file a dispute with your credit card company. And file a BBB claim, also stating that the cancellation policy is only made known after the fact.

For less than a $100, I’d chalk it up as a loss, but for $400, I’d make their day hell.

BTW, what’s the name of the campground?
Old 03-16-2022, 08:26 AM   #11

Thanks for the comments and your experiences, I appreciate the support. To answer a couple questions - we made the reservation in early February for a stay starting 14 April. I called the CG to cancel yesterday (3/15). This park is just across the highway from my Mom's house so she is somewhat familiar with it and says it has been there for many years and has a pretty good reputation. I have talked to a woman there that is the park manager and she is trying to be helpful and I really appreciate that. However, it appears that the park is part of a large corporate structure (18 parks in two states) so she has to go to them for any answers to my questions. She is currently trying to see if I can use the credit at other CG's than the one near my mom.

I don't know how this will all work out but I will be much more cautious making future reservations and won't select campgrounds that don't have some sort of actual refund policy. I understand the comments that have been made regarding possible explanations as to why the no refund policy might exist. However, we all are experiencing increased difficulty in getting a reservation at parks across the country. The site I reserved and now canceled will most likely be taken by someone else so there won't be a loss to the company - just to me.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryboondocker View Post

Then call the manager of the campground and tell them that had you been informed beforehand of the cancellation policy you might not have made a reservation. If that doesn’t work, then ask for their higher up, especially if this is a corporation chain of campgrounds. Tell the next person the same thing. I would also tell them that you would be filing a dispute with both your CC company and the BBB.

If that does not work, then immediately file a dispute with your credit card company. And file a BBB claim, also stating that the cancellation policy is only made known after the fact.

For less than a $100, I’d chalk it up as a loss, but for $400, I’d make their day hell.

BTW, what’s the name of the campground?
A dispute with the credit card company is invalid unless the campground isn't abiding by their terms. If the terms say no refunds then one isn't entitled to a claim as it's a valid charge.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:56 AM   #13
Canadian Member

In larry2c’s case, I believe they’ve said he can have a future stay credit. They aren’t taking money and refusing to provide what he paid for. That said, the credit may be time-limited so as long as you’re prepared to do the trip later and within the time limit (if that’s applicable), then I wouldn’t get worked up about it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak480 View Post
A dispute with the credit card company is invalid unless the campground isn't abiding by their terms. If the terms say no refunds then one isn't entitled to a claim as it's a valid charge.
True.

But, if there is no mention of the cancellation policies before the use of the credit card then anything after the fact is deceptive practices and can be used as evidence in the claim dispute.

If the cancellation policy is made known before the use of the credit card then a dispute would not be warranted.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #15

Did you get a confirmation email? There should have been something about cancellation policy there.

At least they offered you a credit for a future stay. Some places don't even do that if you cancel within 30 days.
They are trying to protect their income from 'speculators' who make reservations in case they need a space then cancel. It's not fair to people who have legitimate reasons to cancel.

You may have to chalk it up to experience and rationalize the expense as a cost of 'not' traveling and spending money on gas and travel.
Old 03-16-2022, 10:11 AM   #16
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Can't blame people for trying to make a living and tired of all the cancellations due to gas prices probably.

IMHO this is not simply "making a living". This campground listed no policy until after full payment. I'd say go get em in what ever way you have to. I have never experienced this but I do check cancellation policy and always ask when making reservations. I never make reservations online, never.Too easy for something like this to come up after they have your money.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:24 AM   #17

Moral of the story; always ask when they take the payment from your CC and what happens if you cancel. Most places we have booked lately don't take any of the payment until we arrive, which I find unusual. A few took a deposit immediately, and took the rest of the amount owed upon arrival.
As one poster stated, always call the park directly for long term or expensive stays. Not only do we get all the info we need, but often get a better price than online reservations.
We have rarely had to cancel, but when we did, we had no surprises as we learned to always ask the pertinent questions up front.
If you do not get all the info before you commit, then it is on you. Now if the rules change after you committed, that is a different story. Thankfully, we have never run into that.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Moral of the story; always ask when they take the payment from your CC and what happens if you cancel. Most places we have booked lately don't take any of the payment until we arrive, which I find unusual. A few took a deposit immediately, and took the rest of the amount owed upon arrival.
As one poster stated, always call the park directly for long term or expensive stays. Not only do we get all the info we need, but often get a better price than online reservations.
We have rarely had to cancel, but when we did, we had no surprises as we learned to always ask the pertinent questions up front.
If you do not get all the info before you commit, then it is on you. Now if the rules change after you committed, that is a different story. Thankfully, we have never run into that.
X2

We almost never make reservations online. Calling has always got us a spot and/or better pricing even when the online site says nothing available.

We checked out two additional 'resorts' since my post yesterday... both had no refund policies for cancellation or even for booking in advance for next year. One month paid in full, (must book at least 3 months) no refunds.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #19

So just a couple updates - first the woman at the park we reserved at is very helpful and understanding but because it is a corporate "rule" she could not offer anything more than saying we would have the option of a credit towards a visit at her park or any of the company's parks within 12 months. Unfortunately I doubt we will be able to take advantage of that because the parks are in Texas & Florida.

I told her I had looked for any cancellation rules on the website and there were none to be found. She agreed with that and also agreed that seeing the "no refund" on the receipt is really too late to be of help. I asked for a corporate phone number and she was very nice in providing me that.

I called the corporate number and after explaining what I was trying to do the person who answered the phone asked which park I was trying to get the refund from. I told her and she said that the person who supports that park was not in at the moment but she took my name & info and said she would give him a message to call me.

So far, this seems like a positive response so I am cautiously optimistic. For those who have asked, I am not saying the name of the park or its parent company at this point - I want to have the whole story before I do that so I don't paint them with a negative view that they may not deserve. In regards to not making reservations online - I do make reservations on line but I called the park for this one because I wanted to get info on the park before I made my choice. FWIW - we've been campers for 30+ years and this is the first time we have run into this situation. Unfortunately I didn't ask about cancellation policies because at the time I could not imagine not making this trip (we've been looking forward to it for a couple years!) It's kind of like drinking milk from the carton in your fridge - you never think to sniff it first until you get that mouth full of spoiled milk...
Old 03-16-2022, 06:01 PM   #20

Yes. I have run into RV parks that have a no refund policy.
I got so mad at one guy I told him "If more than $100 was involved I would take it out of his hide."
I prefer the pay as you go method when possible.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote