Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
The Driver

Retirement Celebration Trip

I will be retiring from a lifelong job with the same company next August. DW says we should take a celebration trip.

Have you been in a similar situation and where did you go? The only restriction I have from DW is not a hot location.
PoppySteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #2

Someone on this forum has a great signature line:
"If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there!" and its companion saying, "All who wander are not lost!"

If it were me and the DW, I'd fill the tank, fill the fridge, and head down the road, any road, and see what's there when we get there!!
Congrats and enjoy the freedom/adventure!!
Old 03-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #3

Congratulations on your retirement. That is a big deal. I retired 2 years ago after working 42 years with the same company .

Wherever you go make it a Big celebration, you deserve it.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #4
Señor Member

I'm no expert but I've heard that Goshen, Indiana is a good place to visit in August.

And congratulations on your retirement.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Congrats, wish I could take a similar celebration trip, but wife is still working and she doesn't get that much time off. Just gotta wait 5 more years and hope I don't croak before then, lol.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySteve View Post
I will be retiring from a lifelong job with the same company next August. DW says we should take a celebration trip.

Have you been in a similar situation and where did you go? The only restriction I have from DW is not a hot location.
The trouble with nearing retirement is that the closer it gets, the longer it takes.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #7

We didn't do it to celebrate retirement, but we did take a trip to see things we've always wanted to tour.

Decided the National Parks and Monuments would be the focus of our trip and headed north...Yellowstone, then neaded a meandering north, then west to Washington, then south to California to visit relatives. If we had it to do again we would have spent more time at each location
Congratulations on your retirement. Determine what you want to see or do, then head north. The mountains will get you out of the heat.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #8
Scoundrel

If you can handle the elevation, Lakeview Campground at Taylor Park Reservoir is pretty nice, cool, etc. We boondock up there. Fly fishing on the Taylor River and mountain biking up there is phenomenal. Here are some images: https://www.google.com/search?channe...xEQsAR6BAgBEAE

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChow View Post
Congratulations on your retirement. That is a big deal. I retired 2 years ago after working 42 years with the same company .

Wherever you go make it a Big celebration, you deserve it.
Thanks, I think you know where I am coming from. We deserve it.

We have traveled a lot through the years and this one should be special.
Old 03-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #10
Kasual Kamper

Quote:

Congratulations! Don't let camping be your only option. Have you ever taken a cruise? Is there someplace in Europe you want to see? I know, I know, this Covid-19 thing has everybody worried, but let's hope by August we have a handle on it.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:57 PM   #11

Congrats on your upcoming retirement. I have been retired nearly 5 years after working my last job for 35 years. I agree with some of the others just go. DW and I have been heading South every winter looking for warmer weather.
camper70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #12
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Congratulations! Don't let camping be your only option. Have you ever taken a cruise? Is there someplace in Europe you want to see? I know, I know, this Covid-19 thing has everybody worried, but let's hope by August we have a handle on it.
Thanks for that comment. DW and I talked about doing something different like that and not RVing. I was really tempted to do some type of sailboat cruise in the Caribbean. But... we have not been to the Wisconsin, Minnesota, UP area and this might be the time to go.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:36 PM   #13

Retired 2 years ago and not sure how I was able to get anything done while I was working!

The best part of retirement is driving home at the end of a trip and not worrying what work has in store for me the next day. Also, I dream about projects I am doing around the house instead of work!

Glad I was able to retire in my late 50s.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #14
The Driver

Did I just say sail the Caribbean or Rv the UP?

We must love to Rv.
Old 03-15-2020, 11:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Congrats, wish I could take a similar celebration trip, but wife is still working and she doesn't get that much time off. Just gotta wait 5 more years and hope I don't croak before then, lol.
I had the same worries while working, that I wouldn't make it to retirement. Amazing thing though, retirement can relieve one the biggest threats to life -------stress. So far I'm 17 years into retirement although sadly my wife passed after 13 years. For the rest of my days I intend to be a "moving target" So far, so good.

Just have plenty of things to do and "hitting the road" is a great start. All too many end up just sitting around after retirement and sadly end up checking out after just a few years.

For those who don't like "hot", the neat part about our country is that with a little planning one can find a temperate area at just about any time of the year. Farther North in summer months and South in winter. In my State you can just move back and forth over the mountain range or out to the coast to find reasonable temperatures practically all year, you just need to put up with a little more rain during the winter though.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Thanks, I think you know where I am coming from. We deserve it.

We have traveled a lot through the years and this one should be special.
Absolutely. After all, you did put in all those years of work for something, right?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post

Every time I suggested something like this to my late wife she came back with "why, there are thousands of places in this country I haven't seen yet."

Got to admit, she did have a point.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #18
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
let's hope by August we have a handle on it.
August 2021 maybe. Could be 18 mos. before a vaccine is available. Summer won't make a difference, look at the way it's spreading in warm climate countries.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:36 PM   #19
Multi-Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Every time I suggested something like this to my late wife she came back with "why, there are thousands of places in this country I haven't seen yet."

Got to admit, she did have a point.
I agree with your late wife. There is so much to see and do - amazing stuff - that I have no real desire to travel outside the North American continent. I'll take the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone over French cathedrals any day.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 PM   #20
Multi-Slacker

Quote:

My wife just retired at the beginning of the year and we are planning a cross country trip that could run 6 - 8 weeks. Of course, some of that depends on whether or not the current idiotic panic extends or subsides.

Tags
tire