Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 06:49 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Not sure why you can't dump the tank (at least mostly) with it sitting at that angle? Once it drains down to the level of where the drain port is on the side, I can't imagine it would be more than 1/4 full and should be pretty easy to lift off the hitch at that point and finish draining.

If you are not able to lift at all, (on or off) then the 4 wheeled version should work better for you.

Also... is there any way that hitch/handle could go the other direction when inserted onto the tank? Seems the tank would ride more level and you wouldn't need to lift as high.
Yeah, didn't think of that. It could be partially dumped and then taken off the hitch.

As for the tongue's connection to the tank, I can't see but one way it will fit.

Thanks for a good idea.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I think they did make a change. I linked to this one in post #7.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gallon-.../dp/B083YMLG4K

Honestly, I don't see any reason all 4 wheels wouldn't be on the ground when towing it.
I don't think it's a change, it's just another option. You can buy the 28 gallon tank with the front wheels, or buy the front wheels to add to your 28 gallon tank. Depending on the height of the hitch, you might have to lift the tank handle some.

If it ever comes to my needing 4 wheels on my 28 gallon tank I'll buy a macerator and take TitanMike's approach. Keep the tank in the bed of the truck, pump uphill into it with the macerator, and use the side gate to empty it without taking it out of the truck.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:04 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
A lot of dump stations have driveway on both sides. the dump valve location really doesn't matter.
Learned something new today. Been pulling RV's to dump stations for 12 years and have never seen one with a right side dump. Nor have I ever seen a camper with the waste valves on the right hand side.
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:12 PM   #44

It is because vehicles can enter the dump station from either direction. You would be pulling up on the wrong side (the normal side for all trailers coming from the opposite direction)to do it. If it's not crowded, it's normally not an issue.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:37 AM   #45
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I don't think it's a change, it's just another option. You can buy the 28 gallon tank with the front wheels, or buy the front wheels to add to your 28 gallon tank. Depending on the height of the hitch, you might have to lift the tank handle some.

If it ever comes to my needing 4 wheels on my 28 gallon tank I'll buy a macerator and take TitanMike's approach. Keep the tank in the bed of the truck, pump uphill into it with the macerator, and use the side gate to empty it without taking it out of the truck.

This option was not available when I bought mine. I just use my wife to help me hitch it up while full. Two person lift minimizes risk of back injury.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:50 AM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedobias View Post
It is because vehicles can enter the dump station from either direction. You would be pulling up on the wrong side (the normal side for all trailers coming from the opposite direction)to do it. If it's not crowded, it's normally not an issue.
We have the same thing at our CG. You can pull up to either side of the dump station from either direction.

Here's a satellite view of it. That's actually my camper on the left there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	248262
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #47

I have the 21 gal version and they are great well designed products. I use it primarily to dump at home for two purposes as I can dump it directly into a sewer cleanout in the backyard. 1) couldn't dump while out easily. 2) the dump station didn't have fresh water to really flush out the tanks, so all that is needed to make sure they are cleaned out (for mine I have to drop a flush wand into the toilet). I would not want 4 wheels the two wheels are perfect of this. This are sturdy, well designed and the dump portion fits well into a normal sewer connection.
garmanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:24 PM   #48

Have this model due it almost matches size of 40 gallon holding tank. Was afraid front wheels would hang in gravel so did not opt for this feature. Only issue no good way to know the tank is full, overflowed once helping neighbors with 50 gallon grey water. I pull with my cricket mini golf cart just fine, big wheels help!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #49

Rhino waste tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Anyone have this model and do you like it ? Experiences ? Think I will give it a whirl.
I have the 28 gallon tank and works Great. Did add the front wheel kit makes dumping a breeze. Also added cotter pins to the large wheels as a extra safety for the drive nuts.
Robfino55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:52 PM   #50

TitamMike,
What macerator do you have?
pdish24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 PM   #51
Rocknoids

I have the same one. Filled it once. It is heavy but not so bad I can't get it hitched to the truck. I was 71 at the time. It works great and easy to use.
Rocknoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:15 PM   #52

ARhappycamper, I have a Thetford SmartTote 2, 2 wheel model, 35 gallons and it is quite heavy when full, but I solved that problem with an inexpensive trailer dolly. I just put the strap around the trailer ball on the dolly and push the handle down, which easily lifts the tank and now is ready to roll off to the dump station. I usually tow it to the campground dump station tied behind my 10-speed bicycle. The dolly makes it very manageable ... even full! Sorry, I have no experience with the Rhino Totes, but the trailer dolly could make the 2 wheeled version workable for you. I am almost 69 yo and I don't even try to lift mine when full. With water at 8.34 pounds per gallon, that thing would weigh in somewhere close to 300 lbs counting the tank when full. If you go that big, think about your back and figure out a way to work the tote without hurting yourself. After all, you don't want to pull anything and end up suffering in bed for the whole camping trip instead of enjoying yourself! Good Luck with the tote tank!

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:50 AM   #53

Good Product

I also have the 28 gallon model, which looks identical to the 36 you are proposing to purchase.

I find it useful in our mooch docking location as I have to haul the black water to a septic system. Word of caution, filling it full or mostly full will result in man-handling a boat anchor when it comes time to move it! And you can't gravity-fill the tank from your black connection if on level ground with the Rhino already inclined and hitched to the tow vehicle.

There are some YouTuber's who have detailed updates to the axle and wheels, changing out the solid tires for pneumatics. I have not had trouble with my tank rubbing on the ground where it's used in my application, but if you drag it on un-level terrain some have reported rubbing holes in the belly of the tank at its low point between the wheels.

It works well and is well made with sturdy materials. Sure beats towing the RV to the dump site if you're not ready to leave your camping spot!
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:53 AM   #54
Insert witty title here

I considered getting one but really have no place to store it while traveling. My trailer does have a ladder but it's mounted on the side, not the back and the bed of my truck is filled with other stuff.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I considered getting one but really have no place to store it while traveling. My trailer does have a ladder but it's mounted on the side, not the back and the bed of my truck is filled with other stuff.
If you don't need it, don't get one, but you can get an smaller size tank and store it in the shower while traveling. We did that with a 15 gallon Barker and a hybrid. I now have a Mini-Lite with larger tanks and upgraded to a Rhino 28 gallong, primarily to get the side gate valve. I don't want anything larger. It would be unwieldy.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #56
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
If you don't need it, don't get one, but you can get an smaller size tank and store it in the shower while traveling. We did that with a 15 gallon Barker and a hybrid. I now have a Mini-Lite with larger tanks and upgraded to a Rhino 28 gallong, primarily to get the side gate valve. I don't want anything larger. It would be unwieldy.

I have a policy that nothing related to poo disposal enters my trailer.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #57
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
I have a policy that nothing related to poo disposal enters my trailer.

Wait. Then I can't enter the camper!!! My shower tub is usually filled with dry goods bins in transit. Good idea for a new thread: What's in YOUR shower? Glad I have the ladder to hang my cart on. I see they now make mounting rails if you have a rear bumper you can put cart on. No rear bumper on mine.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:34 AM   #58
Insert witty title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wait. Then I can't enter the camper!!! My shower tub is usually filled with dry goods bins in transit. Good idea for a new thread: What's in YOUR shower? Glad I have the ladder to hang my cart on. I see they now make mounting rails if you have a rear bumper you can put cart on. No rear bumper on mine.

Big sticker on my bumper tells me that my chassis warranty will be voided if I attach anything to it.

Old 02-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #59

I purchased that same model a couple weeks ago from Amazon. The description and product box says it comes with a 3ft Rhino extreme hose. What I got was very cheap, grey colored 3ft hose. The hose split at one end on the first use as I was dumping the tank -- made a huge mess. I think I actually invented new curse words when this happened.

Needless to say, I rinsed it off, boxed it up, and sent it back to Amazon for a refund.
werbums13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:17 AM   #60
Trailer Park Supervisor

Mine short sewer hose that came with it was orange and black Rhino hose. It's fine. What a horror show with split hose.

Tags
tank